grim22

Weekend Estimates: Thor TDW 86.1M, Ender 10.25, Free Birds 11.2, Grav 8.4, BG 11.3, Last Vegas 11.1

Disappointing opening is disappointing and with this being an average film with CF around the corner...I am slightly worried for Thor 2. Of course, it will still increase over Thor 1 DOM, but this shows on a domestic level anyway that the Avengers effect is wearing off. However, I still expect this to do fairly well OS like around 650M OS.

Disappointing opening is disappointing and with this being an average film with CF around the corner...I am slightly worried for Thor 2. Of course, it will still increase over Thor 1 DOM, but this shows on a domestic level anyway that the Avengers effect is wearing off. However, I still expect this to do fairly well OS like around 650M OS.

Well it's definitely not doing 650M OS, lol. And 650M OS is a bit better than "fairly well"

• Like 2

Final opening wknd for #ThorTheDarkWorld coming in at about $84.5M. 29% bigger than 1st #Thor. Very strong debut.

That's about in line with the percentage audience increase from IM1 (introductory movie) to IM3 (first sequel post-Avengers). I was hoping it would be more because a lot more people nominally were newly exposed to Thor in Avengers as opposed to were newly exposed to Iron Man :( . Hmm.. but at least the Avengers Effect is consistent percentage-wise.

So far this has a better RT user like/rating compared to the either the first Thor (86% like/4.1 rating vs 76%/3.8) or the latest IM ( 81%/4.0). Hopefully that points towards better legs, however the more well known a franchise becomes, the more front-loaded it gets. Still, i see an IM3 multiplier of 2.4 beeing the floor for this so 200M is virtually locked.

Apart from Avengers, SW, Batman, Hunger Games, I will never understand how an 80 million+ opening is a disappointment.

It isn't really, but I understand why the perception is that it is disappointing.  In 2012 and 2013, Ithere have been 6 movies that opened over 100 million. It seems to becoming more common.  We are now seeing openings over 150 million on a more regular basis.  I think when you start to see those kind of figures more regularly then seeing an opening weekend for a big budget blockbuster in the 70 million or 80 million range does appear disappointing.