Neo

Transformers: The Last Knight | 6/21/2017 | Big Budget, Weak OW?

Transformers might be the biggest critic proof franchise in Box Office History.   It could get a 1% on RT and still do a Billion globally.   But Domestic it's clear there's some buyers remorse Post-Shia's exit.   Every  Shia leadTransformers movie did 300 Million+ domestically and the first one that didn't feature him wast "AOE" which dropped over 100 Million in domestic revenue.   I think they've done a great job letting the franchise breathe that I think "The Last Knight" might improve over "AOE" domestically and globally.    Still not sold on Marky Mark in this role so I hope he does better in this one.  It's not that he was terrible in the last one just average.   With Shia you felt like you were going on an adventure with him and the Transformers.   Mark is kind of just there.  I was hoping they would transition to a more galatic story with less humans.   Anyways, "The Last Knight" will definitely be one of the biggest movies next year.  

8 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Transformers might be the biggest critic proof franchise in Box Office History.   It could get a 1% on RT and still do a Billion globally.   But Domestic it's clear there's some buyers remorse Post-Shia's exit.   Every  Shia leadTransformers movie did 300 Million+ domestically and the first one that didn't feature him wast "AOE" which dropped over 100 Million in domestic revenue.   I think they've done a great job letting the franchise breathe that I think "The Last Knight" might improve over "AOE" domestically and globally.    Still not sold on Marky Mark in this role so I hope he does better in this one.  It's not that he was terrible in the last one just average.   With Shia you felt like you were going on an adventure with him and the Transformers.   Mark is kind of just there.  I was hoping they would transition to a more galatic story with less humans.   Anyways, "The Last Knight" will definitely be one of the biggest movies next year.  

I think the fourth movie's domestic drop was a lot more "We don't care anymore after three of these" as opposed to "We miss Shia!"

• Like 6

Just now, RichWS said:

I think the fourth movie's domestic drop was a lot more "We don't care anymore after three of these" as opposed to "We miss Shia!"

Maybe there was some franchise fatigue domestically, sure.   But I tend to think changing a major character in a franchise will always effect it's gross.  I call it "The Unwritten Sequel Rules".   See "Speed 2" for reference, lol.   See "Independence Day" this summer.  Main Characters are important and just can't be switched out when audience have become attached to them.   I don't agree with Shia's antics in his personal life the last 5 years or so but that doesn't take away how much of a drawing power he was to this franchise.   He was basically the "Audience" by proxy in the experience with the Transformers.

On 8/5/2016 at 10:30 PM, TMP said:

Pirates 5 is gonna drop HUGE worldwide, and while TF is a fleeting ship domestically its overseas profits seem unlikely to drop that badly.

Pirates will also have a six year gap between films versus TF's three years. Plus robots sell more tickets than pirates. 

http://variety.com/2016/film/global/stanley-tucci-to-reprise-transformers-role-in-the-last-knight-1201852108/

Stanley Tucci was in Deauville to receive a career tribute on Saturday, will reprise his role as Joshua Joyce in Michael Bay’s “Transformers: The Last Knight.”

While in Deauville, Tucci confirmed his character, Joyce, the anti-hero of “Transformers: Age of Extinction,” will be back in the next installment of the franchise which has just started shooting with Mark Wahlberg, Laura Haddock and Anthony Hopkins.

:ohmygod: 

• Like 1