Neo

Transformers: The Last Knight | 6/21/2017 | Big Budget, Weak OW?

Honestly think this series lost a lot steam DOM when original trilogy left Shia and some of the others behind in Transformers 4. Maybe they can get some of that back now? I think $225M+ DOM. I have a hard time seeing over $250M DOM but could see it getting there. OS it should prove a monster.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Honestly think this series lost a lot steam DOM when original trilogy left Shia and some of the others behind in Transformers 4. Maybe they can get some of that back now? I think $225M+ DOM. I have a hard time seeing over $250M DOM but could see it getting there. OS it should prove a monster.

SHIA?!?! Did anyone watch the giant robot punching each other movies because he was in them? Human characters were stupid and annoying even when Transformers were cartoons!

4 hours ago, drdungbeetle said:

SHIA?!?! Did anyone watch the giant robot punching each other movies because he was in them? Human characters were stupid and annoying even when Transformers were cartoons!

People didn't watch the movies initially because of Shia, but audiences grew to love him. His departure didn't stop me from seeing AOE, but I imagine it lowered the general interest in the film for a lot of people. Not to mention franchise fatigue as well.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Noodlebug said:

People didn't watch the movies initially because of Shia, but audiences grew to love him. His departure didn't stop me from seeing AOE, but I imagine it lowered the general interest in the film for a lot of people. Not to mention franchise fatigue as well.

No they didn't. Most people hated Shia. That's why he doesn't get roles outside the franchise.

Shia or no Shia is not why audiences lost interest. The decline began with the third film. It's just what happens with most franchises, especially repetitive ones. Would need a creative shakeup for any kind of serious increase.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, drdungbeetle said:

I liked it because Shia was in it. When he left there was something he was missing from the Transformers films. I would love to see him come back. I don't like how he's behaved as a human being and especially some of the stuff that he said about Michael Bay and Steven Spielberg but that doesn't take away from the fact that he's a terrific actor

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Shia or no Shia is not why audiences lost interest. The decline began with the third film. It's just what happens with most franchises, especially repetitive ones. Would need a creative shakeup for any kind of serious increase.

Kinghts of the round table and Nazis in a Transformers movie ?

Not shaken enough ?

31 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Or a decade long gap

like Jurassic Park. But no way is Paramount doing that when this is one of their only major franchises

1 hour ago, drdungbeetle said:

No they didn't. Most people hated Shia. That's why he doesn't get roles outside the franchise.

? He has 12 non Transformer feature film credit on IMDB since the release of the first one on IMDB. He works a lot.

3 hours ago, Barnack said:

? He has 12 non Transformer feature film credit on IMDB since the release of the first one on IMDB. He works a lot.

Not in major productions.  He burned too many bridges it seems.  Now he appears in films outside of the major studios.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Shia is a special talent with a unique screen presence IMO.

IMO, he made the first three films work.  Sure, the transformers were cool to look at but without human characters to care about, the film(s) won't work.  He was my favourite part of the first one.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, baumer said:

Not in major productions.  He burned too many bridges it seems.  Now he appears in films outside of the major studios.

Fury was a big Pitt studio movie with a wide world release from not too long ago, he also had a big Fox movie in 2010.

I imagine part is bridges burning not being a draw anyway, but I also imagine is sensibility rarely match studio output (they don't do Nymphomaniac or American Honey type of movie very much) and being fortune independent anyway.

Fury was a big Pitt studio movie with a wide world release from not too long ago, he also had a big Fox movie in 2010.

I imagine part is bridges burning not being a draw anyway, but I also imagine is sensibility rarely match studio output (they don't do Nymphomaniac or American Honey type of movie very much) and being fortune independent anyway.

One film.  Yes, Fury was a studio movie.  

American Honey was independent

Nymphomaniac 1 and 2 was European

Man Down was straight to video.

Fury Road and Lawless were his only real Hollywood films after Transformers.  

This isn't rocket science Barnack.  He burned bridges after Transformers and Crystal Skull.  Do you think there wouldn't be any repurcussions when you publicly slam Spielberg and Bay?

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/shia-labeouf-slams-steven-spielberg-1201853960/

http://www.nme.com/news/film/harrison-ford-calls-shia-labeouf-a-fucking-idiot-f-877200

He's talented and I'd love to see him in another Transformers, but I think his Hollywood days are behind him now.  Maybe not forever, but for a while.

• Like 2

Just now, baumer said:

One film.  Yes, Fury was a studio movie.  

American Honey was independent

Nymphomaniac 1 and 2 was European

Man Down was straight to video.

This isn't rocket science Barnack.  He burned bridges after Transformers and Crystal Skull.  Do you think there wouldn't be any repurcussions when you publicly slam Spielberg and Bay?

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/shia-labeouf-slams-steven-spielberg-1201853960/

http://www.nme.com/news/film/harrison-ford-calls-shia-labeouf-a-fucking-idiot-f-877200

He's talented and I'd love to see him in another Transformers, but I think his Hollywood days are behind him now.  Maybe not forever, but for a while.

Wtf? He said that aboiut Spielberg? What a dumbass. Lol

• Like 2

He's been critical of Bay and Spielberg.  I mean, I don't care how big a star I was or thought I was, the last person I'd publicly diss is Spielberg.  Not just because of his power to keep your career going or extinguish it, but because he's a living legend.  He's earned his stripes.  Shia is and was still new and him criticizing him was completely out of line.

Harrison Ford called him a fucking idiot.  

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=wallstreet2.htm ?

Obviously there is repercussion, but he still worked a lot after (and at least a couple of time on studio movie, someone like David Ayer will not mind stuff like that and there is a list of director like him, that can get Leboeuf if they want is special intensity and what he bring)

Look how much studio movie work Gary Oldman got after speaking against a Spielberg movie he was in during the award season (and is many reference to the Jewish people in different interview), if you have something special that can make a director want you over what studio would prefer, you can still work from time to time on big director with casting choice on studio movie.

Edited by Barnack

gary oldman called spielberg 'the goebbels of Hollywood'. he took a hit for a couple years in the early 2000s but ultimately turned out fine. shia's got the talent to back it up i'm sure they'll let him back in soon enough. just quit on all those crazy publicity stunts.

• Like 2

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=wallstreet2.htm ?

Obviously there is repercussion, but he still worked a lot after (and at least a couple of time on studio movie, someone like David Ayer will not mind stuff like that and there is a list of director like him, that can get Leboeuf if they want is special intensity and what he bring)

Look how much studio movie work Gary Oldman got after speaking against a Spielberg movie he was in during the award season (and is many reference to the Jewish people in different interview), if you have something special that can make a director want you over what studio would prefer, you can still work from time to time on big director with casting choice on studio movie.

But that's the point.  He hasn't really done studio films since Transformers.  Part 3 was in 2011.  Since then...6 years later, he's done 3 studio films.  And two of them were in 2012, which means they were being filmed before Transformers 3 even came out.  So he's done one film after 2012, for a Hollywood studio.

As for Oldman, he's got a lot more clout and respect than Shia, so him saying something about Spielberg is not as ridiculous as someone wet behind the ears like Shia.

• Like 1