Punishment

THG Catching Fire $25.25m Thursday Previews

Early shows used to be exclusively midnight or later, so the studios could justify them being technically part of Friday. The rare occasions where there were 10pm shows would be listed separately. After the Aurora shooting, midnights died and grosses were way down, so studios decided (for the most part) to start shows earlier and just lump thm into midnights as well.

If that's the game Hollywood is playing (and it is), then BOM should retroactively credit all those older movies with extra money on their opening days. Matrix Reloaded, Pirates 3, etc.

No what I meant Notcis

If the film follow fanbase films it should do 160 million.

If it appeals to more GA then holds should be better for 170 weekend.

Also Telemachos

A film needs epic sellouts if Friday business is over 50 million especially in 2D!

• Like 3

Early shows used to be exclusively midnight or later, so the studios could justify them being technically part of Friday. The rare occasions where there were 10pm shows would be listed separately. After the Aurora shooting, midnights died and grosses were way down, so studios decided (for the most part) to start shows earlier and just lump thm into midnights as well.

Wouldn't that make it easier to beat the OD record, with more extra shows and all?

You mean 92m from just 'real midnights' and Friday business? Possible but very very difficult.

8PM shows shouldn't ethically be counted towards Friday.

I don't think any film will break DH2 "midnight" record because all movies are now starting at 8pm.  DH2 will always have an asterisk next to it even when the 92m is finally broken by "previews".

Not as confusing as 'Wal-mart' midnights for MOS.

Well to be fair, Walmart tickets did not count towards the OW for MoS.This is confusing because no one has a clue if the previews showed frontloadedness or backloadedness.

John Marston may be pessimistic, but in this case, he has given a very good comparison - DH1. CF shouldn't be as frontloaded as Twilight films, but there isn't any reason why it should have much better legs than DH1. I think whatever CF gets for Friday daytime business, it should follow DH1 drops closely from there on.

Its drops got softer when it started making less than 10m per weekend. THG had soft drops when it was making over 30m per weekend. Twilight still dropped like a rock.

No it didn't.

Anyway, that's actually a stronger number than I thought considering the lack of sellouts last night. This can still do over $75m today. Maybe even push for $80m since sellouts are happening at a rapid pace right now. 

Of course they are happening at a rapid pace, that's what happens when you have a 45-50 million dollar Friday, sellouts are ubiquitous.  But there is no chance this does 80.

• Like 2

LOL why on earth are people acting all disappointed. That's an excellent number! It was never going to read that ridiculous 189 number from MTC. They were just being stupid. 

Have you not followed the 200 OW thread?  Lots of people have it over 180.

• Like 2

Are you freaking kidding me? 

New Moon to BD2 all had atrocious legs. They didn't get strong late legs like Potter did. 

Last time I checked I didn't mention the sequels anywhere in my post.  I said Twilight, as in the first movie that opened to 69 and finished with 192.  Reading comprehension is your friend Noctis.

• Like 1