Punishment

THG Catching Fire $25.25m Thursday Previews

You seem to want this movie to do poorly. :lol:

Duh, it's Fake. He hates THG and initially predicted CF to finish with $290m a few months ago.

It would be with all the hype

The true test for THG is happening.

If the film is a fanboy event it will do 160..

If its the true 4 quad film then 170..

Based on these numbers.

This is an astonishingly dumb post. What the fuck? Fanboy event is $160m and 4-quad is $170m? Get over yourself. Fanboy events can be 4-quad. And they are in this case. 

• Like 2

Don't mean to go full noob on y'all, but wtf is the difference between "real" and "fake" midnights? Just a quick explanation please. :)

Well, as their titles suggest, a fake midnight is a show that's not actually at midnight. A real one is where the show IS at midnight...lol

Don't mean to go full noob on y'all, but wtf is the difference between "real" and "fake" midnights? Just a quick explanation please. :)

Early shows used to be exclusively midnight or later, so the studios could justify them being technically part of Friday. The rare occasions where there were 10pm shows would be listed separately. After the Aurora shooting, midnights died and grosses were way down, so studios decided (for the most part) to start shows earlier and just lump thm into midnights as well.
  • Like 2

I just used 'real' midnights for that part of the previews where the shows were actually on Friday after midnight.

• Like 1

You know, people complain about Firedeep being pessimistic, but John Marston puts him to shame at times. He's one big ominous, and very often arrogant, cloud hanging over the forum at times like this.

Nope. I'm just realistic. Even movies I like I have no problem saying the truth about what will likely happen

Its drops got softer when it started making less than 10m per weekend. THG had soft drops when it was making over 30m per weekend. Twilight still dropped like a rock.

You can't make that comparison though, because Twilight was making $13M by its 3rd weekend. It was a much smaller film than THG. But it ended up with a 2.77 multiplier and THG ended with a 2.67, so it's just inaccurate to say the first Twilight "dropped like a rock". If that's your criteria, then THG dropped even harder. Fact is both films had surprisingly strong legs.

Now it just remains to be seen if CF will follow other sequels and be drastically more frontloaded, but I think most agree there's virtually no chance its legs are as bad as the Twilight sequels.

• Like 2