LexJoker

Tuesday #s (12/17) DOS 6.2, AM2 2.3

As a one-time joke, sure. We have to remember most of those fans aren't even around here anymore. Anyone purposefully trolling The Hobbit ("pot shots" is putting very mildly, IMHO) at this point is only accomplishing two things:

1) Lowering themselves to the level of the people/trolls they supposedly disgusted so much a decade ago.

and 2) Making it unpleasant for the rest of the people here who actually want to have civil conversations over the boring numbers.

I'm saying this now the next time someone calls Iron Man 3, Iron Shit 3 I want them banned.

I'm looking at you Ed.

• Like 1

It's payback for LOTR for some. They couldn't bitch or whine about the OT because of great quality and BO but PT is lower quality so it's easier to take pot shots but regardless, OT's going to make 3B WW. WB's decision is easily vindicated.

I'm so confused. druv10 I am not lying to you. That is just some weird ass stuff, lol.

• Founder / Operator

I'm saying this now the next time someone calls Iron Man 3, Iron Shit 3 I want them banned.

I'm looking at you Ed.

:lol:

I'm very cognizant of the fact that The Hobbit isn't the first movie it's happened to. Just one of the first I was here to actually witness on a frequent basis last year (and now this year).

I confess, $2.3m seems a tad low to me. Yes, there was the late release date change, and undoubtedly that has something to do with it, but at the same time, I'm hard-pressed to find a movie more tailored to a late-night crowd (aside from huge gigantic tentpoles).

Not a good start for AM2.

I confess, $2.3m seems a tad low to me. Yes, there was the late release date change, and undoubtedly that has something to do with it, but at the same time, I'm hard-pressed to find a movie more tailored to a late-night crowd (aside from huge gigantic tentpoles).

I agree, actually. I only predicted 3.5 million for it, but it should have come closer to 3 than it did, IMO.

The only movie which changed its release date this late and was tailored to a late night audience is Star Trek Into Darkness. It made 3.3M at midnights.

• Like 1

I hate the fact that they changed the release date in the first place, because in general if it isn't for a holiday (like Christmas next week) I hate, hate tracking non-three day openers. I know that sounds stubborn, but it just makes box office a bit less fun for me, because it eliminates most points of comparisons and lowers the impact of opening day. Plus, who wants to see a big opener on a Wednesday?

• Like 2

As far as i know there were no midnight shows for Anchorman 2.

I don't know in general, but at my local theater here in NorCal there was a 9pm and a midnight showing last night.

I don't think there's anything 'wrong' with the late night # for Anchorman 2.  I'm personally still higher than the low-ball #s out there for this weekend and still expect it to be the #2 film of December by a comfortable margin, but that late night # also doesn't scream massive break-out to me either (i.e. $200 m+ total).  In saying that, obviously extremely early.

Edited by JarJarBinks