Lost in Translation

16 members have voted

1. 1. Lost in Translation

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Easily one of my favorite movies and one I've seen countless times over the years. Great funny moments but a few poignant scenes as well (love the ending). This is a movie I wish was longer (it also made me fall in love with Tokyo and Japan in general).

A+

• Like 1

It's a nice film with some really good scenes, but I really do think it is vastly overrated. The characters simply weren't interesting enough for me to get really invested, but it's a good movie if you're looking for a story about how humans interact and behave in unique situations.

B

• Like 1

It's a nice film with some really good scenes, but I really do think it is vastly overrated. The characters simply weren't interesting enough for me to get really invested, but it's a good movie if you're looking for a story about how humans interact and behave in unique situations.

B

This

I do like it and may give it a B+ which is just a slightly better grade. But yes, I do feel it is somewhat overrated.

B/B+. Wasn't quite the masterpiece I was expecting. Much like payne's films, I was left wanting more and wondering what the point of it was. It did have some hilarious moments, though.

I just love this movie so much...every time I watch it I get completely sucked and pulled into this movie/world.  It does such an amazing job of capturing the feel of a foreign country/place and what it might be like to actually be there.  And I just love Murray and Johansson's characters so much (Bob and Charlotte).  My only (very slight) complaint is that I feel there should be one or two more interactions/scenes between Bob and Charlotte before they fall for each other and before the ending, as an hour and 40 minutes is just too short for this gem. But I can't really complain as perhaps a longer movie wouldn't have been as magical.

A+

Edited by FTF
  • Like 3

Probably my 'favorite' movie of all time ... definitely top 10 for me overall.  I could watch this film every day and not get bored because Bill Murray is so perfect in this film ... and Scarlett worked great off of him. 

If I was to visit one place outside the US, it would be Tokyo, simply for how surreal, yet serene, it comes across in this film.

A+

Edited by Adam
  • Like 2

Very funny movie (especially the first part). The screenplay is very good, but I don't think the directing was that great. Even thought throughout the movie I didn't really feel sad or anything (excessive, let's say) the ending was just heartbreaking.

A-

soulless and uninteresting. to me it seems like a lesser version of chungking express, which wasn't exactly a good film in the first place...but at least that had a flashy style. this is directed very blandly. the climactic conversation on the bed was conventional hollywood tripe. the best we can hope for are some amusing moments featuring bill murray bumbling around uselessly. i think i may have seen this before as well.

3.5/10