kayumanggi

Weekend #s | SAT (12.28.2013) 10.5 M TH: TDOS | 09.7 M - 10.0 M FROZEN | 07.4 M AM ll | 07.2 M AH

OK, nobody has asked yet so I will, where are the Bieber numbers!?

I'm having so much fun watching Frozen's success, but a part of me also wants to revel in the total failure of the Bieber film. Posted Image

I beliebe Beiber can go buck himself.

Their earlier holds were high because of the holidays making later holds be able to stay high, Frozen also had to go through the death week of the first weekend of December.

They're holds after the holidays is a different thing. You can't compare christmas boosted holiday weekend to weekends outside the christmas. Its great frozen is doing so well, I loved it giving it an A score but Frozen's potential 30m 5th weekend is a pale comparison to the achievements of Avatar and Titanic 5th weekends.

Edited by eXtacy

They're holds after the holidays is a different thing. You can't compare christmas boosted holiday weekend to weekends outside the christmas. Its great frozen is doing so well, I loved it giving it an A score but Frozen's potential 30m 5th weekend is a pale comparison to the achievements of Avatar and Titanic 5th weekends.

That's just like your opinion man.

• Like 2

Not really, it's just shocking for the GA who went in expecting a typical comedy.

Did the GA not see the trailer before going in. What did they expect?

Leo to adapt a wolf cub who he names Jack and raises on wall street. the cub helps everyone including saving an old lady from a mugging. on it's 5th birthday, a car driver runs over it and the wolf dies. it turns out the driver was that same old lady it saved earlier. everyone cries. Leo says "come back..come back...come back jack"...screen fades out to "Wolf of Wall Street"

Edited by a2knet

Not opinion, fact. You've been around since October so your relatively new to box office. Once you've been following it for 5 years let me know.

And exactly how many of those that have been following it [box office] for 5 years predicted Frozen's current run... Christmas or not?

That's right.  None.

• Like 3

All three movies benefited from holiday weekends early in their runs. The earlier in a movie's run a boosted hold is, the bigger the impact that it has on the total run of the film. 

In Frozen's case, it's almost like the movie looped back to its second weekend, which is impressive in its own right. Frozen's sixth weekend could be bigger than its third, and it's not like it didn't have a big opening to begin with. 

edit: I was predicting about $220M for this, just a smidge above Tangled. The trailers were weak and it looked too much like they were drawing from the same formula again. 

Edited by cory

So, Frozen making about 30m on its fifth weekend isn't that impressive because it's happening during Christmas?Let's look back at all the past movies whose fifth weekend was during Christmas and see how many of them made $30m. Hmmmm, none even close it would seem.

• Like 7

No you can't the 5th weekends were after the holidays.

Avatar's and Titanic's 5th weekend fell on MLK Jr Day weekend so it did receive a boost.  Maybe not as much as it would during Xmas but still a boost.

Edited by WileECoyote