kayumanggi

Weekend #s | SAT (12.28.2013) 10.5 M TH: TDOS | 09.7 M - 10.0 M FROZEN | 07.4 M AM ll | 07.2 M AH

Studios fault for releasing it 2 months late their then, they must realise that around awards season, DVD screeners for most movies get leaked. Though saying that, the Chinese will probaby still want to see Smaug on a big screen because of the dragon.

Chinese government decides the release dates of movies. Last year TDKR and TASM, and this year Gravity and CF did not willingly get released at the same time by their studios.

Not really. All I could say is Frozen is the only film out right now with exceptional word of mouth.

A lot of movies are considered okay at best by the general public. Doesn't explain everything though. Maybe we should wait for actuals. Frozen might be overestimated.

But RTH doesn't estimate.  He has raw data.

• Like 1

Dos will increase higher than the ice age ripoff todwy and tomorrow and thus win the weekend

Oh look an uneducated attempt at a generic insult. For a second there I thought I was on imdb's boards.
  • Like 5

Just had to make an account to reply to this :)

Not really. All I could say is Frozen is the only film out right now with exceptional word of mouth.

A lot of movies are considered okay at best by the general public. Doesn't explain everything though. Maybe we should wait for actuals. Frozen might be overestimated.

I think word of mouth is really the primary reason for it doing this well. A good indication for this is google trends...

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=%2Fm%2F0kvhr5y%2C%20%2Fm%2F052nd_v%2C%20%2Fm%2F0n40qmp%2C%20%2Fm%2F0kmyxvt%2C%20%2Fm%2F0n4g112&date=today%203-m&cmpt=q

there you can see pretty nicely how frozen has an extremely unusual pattern in search frequency (when compared to other stuff like catching fire or smaug) which is, as far as i assume, because people are hearing good things about the movie from friends and start searching for it via google. I think another thing related to this late boost is that initially frozen was shunned pretty badly by somewhat influential blogs (primary related to the story changes which seemed like they would reduce the feminist message of the original fairytale... also the head animator made some poorly worded statements regarding the way the female characters are animated). Now that the movie is out and people have actually seen it articles like this appear (put it into a spoiler tag because the url actually can be considered to be one... the article it self as well)

http://jezebel.com/frozen-finally-a-disney-price-whos-actually-a-dising-1481363508

and people who really were on the fences regarding this princess movie start coming around as well (btw the number of comments/views on that article is pretty high) . The final thing that probably contributed to this boxoffice run is that the movie is starting to caputre teens and tweens now. The inital marketing was primarily trying to get the kids and families, but now via the later trailers and word of mouth the broader appeal of the movie has been made quite apparent. I guess it might be mostly girls/women, but having this demographic behind a movie can be a force to be reckoned with anyways (see twilight ;) ). Btw this can be seen nicely on tumlr nowadays (before chrismas there wasnt that much happening with respect to the movie... mostly gif reposts of let it go and some fan art, but now its taking off quite impressively)

Not sure if my assessments are really completely correct, but i have the feeling that some parts of the interwebs have been pretty abuzz with frozen :)

Edited by chuck0
  • Like 3

It's quite funny to me that there's been reports of walkouts during Wolf. Just goes to show how prude America is in some respects. So there's a lot of nudity and drugs...the only people that give a fuck are uptight social conservatives who won't even exist in a couple decades.

What good would that do anybody?Frozen doesn't need a sequel. The Incredibles needs a sequel.

With so much cynicism in the multiplex: sexist/racist anchorman, hustlers, and wolves of Wall St, folks just want a nice blanket of warmth in the form of a Disney animation. FZ can do a low $300M or a high $330M but $370M is just the doing of so many trolls in this forum. 

47 RONIN should be released in March when such slash-n-gash movies perform well in the past : 300, TITANS, even GI JOE.

Edited by zackzack
  • Like 1

Studios fault for releasing it 2 months late their then, they must realise that around awards season, DVD screeners for most movies get leaked. Though saying that, the Chinese will probaby still want to see Smaug on a big screen because of the dragon.

But studios don't get much say when their movies get released in China. It's up to the Chinese authorities.

Just had to make an account to reply to this :) I think word of mouth is really the primary reason for it doing this well. A good indication for this is google trends... http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=%2Fm%2F0kvhr5y%2C%20%2Fm%2F052nd_v%2C%20%2Fm%2F0n40qmp%2C%20%2Fm%2F0kmyxvt%2C%20%2Fm%2F0n4g112&date=today%203-m&cmpt=q there you can see pretty nicely how frozen has an extremely unusual pattern in search frequency (when compared to other stuff like catching fire or smaug) which is, as far as i assume, because people are hearing good things about the movie from friends and start searching for it via google. I think another thing related to this late boost is that initially frozen was shunned pretty badly by somewhat influential blogs (primary related to the story changes which seemed like they would reduce the feminist message of the original fairytale... also the head animator made some poorly worded statements regarding the way the female characters are animated). Now that the movie is out and people have actually seen it articles like this appear (put it into a spoiler tag because the url actually can be considered to be one... the article it self as well) 

http://jezebel.com/frozen-finally-a-disney-price-whos-actually-a-dising-1481363508

and people who really were on the fences regarding this princess movie start coming around as well (btw the number of comments/views on that article is pretty high) . The final thing that probably contributed to this boxoffice run is that the movie is starting to caputre teens and tweens now. The inital marketing was primarily trying to get the kids and families, but now via the later trailers and word of mouth the broader appeal of the movie has been made quite apparent. I guess it might be mostly girls/women, but having this demographic behind a movie can be a force to be reckoned with anyways (see twilight ;) ). Btw this can be seen nicely on tumlr nowadays (before chrismas there wasnt that much happening with respect to the movie... mostly gif reposts of let it go and some fan art, but now its taking off quite impressively) Not sure if my assessments are really completely correct, but i have the feeling that some parts of the interwebs have been pretty abuzz with frozen :)

There's one major flaw with your theory, the film had a massive 67m OW so it's safe to say that all those reports about story changes etc really had no effect on this gross. Hell I track movies more than 99% of the GA and I hadn't even heard anything about that.Welcome to the forums though :)

What good would that do anybody?Frozen doesn't need a sequel. The Incredibles needs a sequel.

I'd rather see a Megamind sequel than any other animated sequels. Damn that movie was so much fun, deserved the gross that Despicable Me received IMO. Edited by Jessie
  • Like 2