filmnerdjamie

Daily Box-Office (12/31/2013) | FRZ 7.3, DOS 5.6, AH 4.6, SMB 4.1, SLWK 3.5, WOWS 3.4, AM2 3.2 (Rth)

That is what I thought at first but when I saw Lone Ranger's combined prod+market at 300+(even as high as 375) but BOF had it at 290?

The final LR production budget is higher than official studio estimates.

It is, Shawn said total budget includes Marketing + Production. Only thing is I'm not sure how they count marketing, If the studio gives them an estimate or they do it themselves.

Studios never release full marketing/P&A budgets. Everything you see online is a guess (educated or otherwise).

• Like 1

Yeah, Tangled was super expensive. IIRC, the production budget's about 260M They did a lot of work figuring out the hair rendering. Plus, it had a very long development process (was originally going to be 2D, etc.) I'd guess that some of the cost was technology development, similar to how Tarzan's ~180M budget was partially for developing the Deep Canvas technology. Frozen was quite a bit lower than Tangled, possibly due to being able to piggy-back on those developments.

I heard studios only take half of the B.O of films, and judging by that Tangled did not make any profits at all, so did PATF, WIR only made like 5M. So Frozen is like the only real big success of Disney among the past 3 films

• Like 1

I heard studios only take half of the B.O of films, and judging by that Tangled did not make any profits at all, so did PATF, WIR only made like 5M. So Frozen is like the only real big success of Disney among the past 3 films

Studios get roughly 55% of the domestic gross. 

• Like 2

Just a quick update on frozens search traffic on google trends... it seems like it overtook WoW on tuseday

Posted Image

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=%2Fm%2F0kvhr5y%2C%20%2Fm%2F052nd_v%2C%20%2Fm%2F0n40qmp%2C%20%2Fm%2F0kmyxvt%2C%20%2Fm%2F0jws4d1&geo=US&date=today%203-m&cmpt=q

not sure if anybody is intersted in these numbers, but i still think its somewhat remarkable :) . What is strange though is that DoS is that low overall. I guess most people that are interested in the movie knew about it anyways which is why they did not have to search for information about it on google.

Edited by chuck0
  • Like 4

The final LR production budget is higher than official studio estimates.

Studios never release full marketing/P&A budgets. Everything you see online is a guess (educated or otherwise).

So LR had higher prod and lower marketing budget(below 100m)? = 290?

Edited by tonicjr

I have a feeling most people searching for DoS will just type in "Hobbit" or "Hobbit 2" or something so that might explain why it's lower. Still that's pretty great for Frozen. Disney has really got themselves a bonafide blockbuster for the first time in forever. ;)

• Like 1

I have a feeling most people searching for DoS will just type in "Hobbit" or "Hobbit 2" or something so that might explain why it's lower. Still that's pretty great for Frozen. Disney has really got themselves a bonafide blockbuster for the first time in forever. ;)

That might be part of the reason... but i explicitly selected the movies as topics which means that multiple search terms are accumulated in there (so there is a possibility that something like hobbit 2 is included in those numbers)... still this feature seems to be in beta so i would not be surprised if its not completely accurate :)

• Like 1

I have numerous pictures in reserve, ready to break out the big guns when needed. :ph34r:

You're kicking everyones ass already with likes, anymore and it would be no contest.  ;)  :D

Damn, I'm up to 6666 likes. 

• Like 1

You can't just look at the cinema box office for this. Disney makes hella money on after market sales (DVD, etc.), and they do so for an extremely long-haul. The films from the Renaissance, Silver Age, Golden Age, etc. all keep making money when they do another release. Additionally, they do a lot of business with tie-in products. It's not that the films are just advertising, but they can afford to splurge a bit on the budgets from time to time because it's going to make it back somehow in the end. Tangled was pricey, but it was a huge success.

• Like 2