filmnerdjamie

Daily Box-Office (12/31/2013) | FRZ 7.3, DOS 5.6, AH 4.6, SMB 4.1, SLWK 3.5, WOWS 3.4, AM2 3.2 (Rth)

I enjoyed the Christmas special more then the 50th Anniversary, but I know I'm probably in a minority.

Christmas special felt rushed to me. I liked the last five minutes, but everything before felt really packed in in a bad way

Christmas special felt rushed to me. I liked the last five minutes, but everything before felt really packed in in a bad way

I thought 50th was a nonsensical mess of ideas, really disappointing for such a large event. I'm about to watch the new episode of Sherlock, which if you look at my avatar is kind of a big deal :)

Edited by eXtacy

I thought 50th was a nonsensical mess of ideas, really disappointing for such a large event.

Really? The only thing I thought was nonsensical about the 50th is how they dropped the main plot of the special three-fourths into it.

... Granted that is kinda a big thing, but still.

Yeah, I also just wasn't huge on the story of the Christmas special.

I much preferred the 50th, much more time to flesh everything out (thank the Lord, no commercials so it was a full movie length pretty much), and the story was just much better.

I also don't buy the Time Lords being willing to just help the Doctor even though he wouldn't save them from the time-lock.

I was also EXTREMELY disappointed that there is no Valeyard, the only reason because Moffat doesn't like the idea despite that being established in Doctor lore.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

Really? The only thing I thought was nonsensical about the 50th is how they dropped the main plot of the special three-fourths into it.

... Granted that is kinda a big thing, but still.

Judging by your avatar you might enjoy this

Posted Image

• Like 3

I thought 50th was a nonsensical mess of ideas, really disappointing for such a large event. I'm about to watch the new episode of Sherlock, which if you look at my avatar is kind of a big deal :)

Just saw your edit. I'm avoiding Sherlock spoilers like the plague until the US premiere

I heard a rumor about the Valeyard being MetaCrisis Tennant which makes zero sense to me, but I'm a casual Who fan... so I really have no idea what Meta-Crisis and Valeyard even mean :lol:

Meta-Crisis Tennant I found as a cheap way for Moffat to waste a regeneration (The Doctor gets 12 naturally, meaning 13 forms), basically Tennant kind of regenerated back into himself and if I remember correctly that ended up cloning him (and that clone got stuck in the parallel universe with Rose).  This had never been counted as an actual regeneration before until recently when Moffat decided to randomly count it.

The Valeyard is a manifestation of all the negative emotions of the Doctor that appears after his 12th regeneration, now since Meta-Crisis apparently counted as a regeneration (which I didn't believe) and since there was a regeneration we didn't know about until the finale in the Spring (John Hurt), when Tennant regenerated into Smith the valeyard should have appeared.  However, since again I didn't think Meta-Crisis should count (it had never been counted as one before this year when they needed it to count for plot purposes) then when Smith regenerated into Capaldi then the Valeyard should have appeared somewhere.

Now unless they actually wanted the Valeyard lore to mean the 12th version of the doctor than Meta-Crisis would actually make since and the clone of the Doctor would actually be the Valeyard, which was not how the Valeyard was supposed to be entirely, but it would tie up that lore.

Still I wanted a season with a Valeyard villain, but no Moffat thinks having the Doctor go up against an alternate version of himself is stupid.  The last really good villains introduced in Who were the Weeping Angels and The Silence, however both of those have been so overused that they lost their creepy factor.  The Valeyard could have been an awesome plotline, like literally when I saw young Smith standing there I thought he was the Valeyard because he was walking creepier and talking creepier, and I was half-expecting Capaldi to jump out.  But no, no valeyard...