Olive

Tuesday Numbers - WOWS 1.95M, Frozen 1.9M(300M!), DOS 1.57M,

Basically, Streep is saying we tend to excuse creative people from doing terrible things because we like what they create. But she thinks Thompson needs no such forgiveness. She went on: "Disney, who brought joy arguably to billions of people was, perhaps, or had some racist proclivities. He formed and supported an anti-Semitic industry lobbying group and he was certainly, on the evidence of his company’s policies, a gender bigot…When I saw the film (Saving Mr. Banks), I could just imagine Walt Disney’s chagrin at having to cultivate P.L. Travers’ favor for the 20 years that it took to secure the rights to her work. It must have killed him to encounter in a woman an equally disdainful and superior creature, a person dismissive of his own considerable gifts and prodigious output and imagination."To show how Disney's sexist views of women impacted his company's behavior, she then read from a letter the Disney company sent to an aspiring female animator in 1938 that said, "Women do not do any of the creative work in connection with preparing the cartoons for the screen, as that task is performed entirely by young men.For this reason, girls are not considered for the training school."  With comments like these, it's pretty crystal clear why Streep didn't end up in the role of Saving Mr. Banks's Travers. Some might think the NBR stage was not the place for such a statement, but Thompson didn't seem to mind. Reportedly she was "nauseous with gratitude" over her friend's speech. As to the crowd, EW says Streep's speech--performed wearing a bit of Nebraska swag in the form of a trucker hat reading "Prize Winner"--was "funny," "charming," "bold" and "brought down the house."
Edited by Blankments

Wait, the actual, real, not made up tagline for "The Nut Job" is "No Nuts, No Glory"???

What were they smoking?

Posted Image

I can only imagine what the screenwriters and animators were on, when they thought up the Nut Job in the first place.

Edited by Fancyarcher

I know it's not the right thread but I need to vent.

Baseball writers are a fucking joke. Biggio didn't make it again because some suspicion he used steroids but why the fuck did they put Tony LaRussa in, he fucking presided over Oakland A's with Canseco/McGwire and McGwire few others in St louis but let's put a Manager in who knew damn well what was going on but put blinders on. Also, how in the hell do these writers know if Maddux, Glavine and Thomas didn't use steroids or HGH, yet these guys are in this year. Don't use rumors or physique as Rafael Palmeiro was definitely not steroid muscular so how the fuck do they decide which player used or presumingly used? This holier than thou attitude is pissing me off to no end.  :rant:

And Jack Morris not being in the hall is a joke. Big time.

• Like 1

I'm hoping for a billion WW :ph34r:Fact: Giamatti and especially Farrell are better than Hanks in SMB

It's true, if anybody deserves a supporting actor nom in mr banks it's Farrell or Giamatti (both had much cleaner character arcs and depth than Hanks)

I'm hoping for a billion WW :ph34r:Fact: Giamatti and especially Farrell are better than Hanks in SMB

It's true, if anybody deserves a supporting actor nom in mr banks it's Farrell or Giamatti (both had much cleaner character arcs and depth than Hanks)
  • Like 1

How is she misinformed?

Walt Disney was neither an anti-semitic or a racist. I've done enough research on it along with writing a few essays on the topic of Walt Disney in general. Those both just come from rumors and Family Guy

Edited by Blankments

So shall we give him the benefit of the doubt and call him "thoroughly un-progressive" in those areas?

Here's her specific words: "had some…racist proclivities. He formed and supported an anti-Semitic industry lobby."

Is that really so far off-base? What would you call the Motion Picture Alliance for the Preservation of American Ideals?

• Like 1

This made me love her even more. :wub:

Funny, I just read an article about how Hitchcock was an abusive and manipulative weirdo (not to say a disgusting pig guilty of sexual harassment) toward his actresses to get what he wanted and the commentary section under that article was filled with inflamed commentaries excusing his blatant questionable behavior toward women like "Cut him some slack, he was a freakin' genius!!!He was just the product of this era! The actresses were crap anyway so he was right to "shake" them up because he was a perfectionist!"

I didn't know "perfectionist genius" rhymed with harassing blonde actresses due to sexual fetish, threatening to ruin someone's career as part of a blackmail game and put them under physical and psychological harm...

Meryl Streep is perfectly right. People excuse everything from the "male art geniuses" of the world.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

So shall we give him the benefit of the doubt and call him "thoroughly un-progressive" in those areas?Here's her specific words: "had some…racist proclivities. He formed and supported an anti-Semitic industry lobby."Is that really so far off-base? What would you call the Motion Picture Alliance for the Preservation of American Ideals?

Disney had some problems but he wasn't anti-seminitic, a nazi, or a racist by any means. There are people in Hollywood and film history with far harsher beliefs who get away with their ideas that they even express boldly in their film.Just look at Birth of A Nation, I don't see Streep running her mouth about that movie yet it's profoundly racist to the point it was used as propaganda for the KKK, and people still view it as a masterpiece. (For some reason, I say it's a piece of trash but is heavily influential in the way the bombing of Pearl Harbor was influential in American history).