druv10

Tuesday Numbers (Rth)

Speaking of jokes, where's Ed?

Posted Image

I gifted him the Nolan Director's Set, so he won't be back for a month.

Actually he's probably going to be praying all week to make sure Peyton Manning doesn't choke

• Founder / Operator

Glenn Beck and some of his listeners have cast themselves as real-world trolls today in their attacks on a former BoxOffice Editor, Amy Nicholson, and her review of LONE SURVIVOR. I have no opinion on the movie or its subject matter, but the vitrolic hatemail/hatetweet campaign being waged against her is sick and unjustified. Drop her an encouraging line when you get a chance.

• Like 7

Glenn Beck and some of his listeners have cast themselves as real-world trolls today in their attacks on a former BoxOffice Editor, Amy Nicholson, and her review of LONE SURVIVOR. I have no opinion on the movie or its subject matter, but the vitrolic hatemail/hatetweet campaign being waged against her is sick and unjustified. Drop her an encouraging line when you get a chance.

She got attacked for another review last year. Was it TDKR ?

To take this to another, even more ridiculous and absurdly ugly level, there's another Amy Nicholson on Twitter who's getting hammered right now.

She got attacked for another review last year. Was it TDKR ?

Avengers actually. She was the first rotten review.

People do realize that only 72% of critics and 69% of "Top Critics" gave "Lone Survivor" a 'Fresh' rating right? Even if we hate RT and their aggregator, that still means that there are other critics who did not like the movie. Why was Amy's review picked out?

For example, here is David Edelstein's blurb: Lone Survivor is a brutally effective movie, made by people who think that they're serving their country. But they're just making us coarser and more self-centered.

Similarly, Cole Smithey's blurb: If the movie had stuck closer, much closer to the facts, then perhaps it might have had a chance of representing something more than merely another throwaway piece of patriotic breast-beating.

Both those reviews are pretty similar in sentiment to what Amy said, the whole "controversy" here confuses me.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 4

• Founder / Operator

I really hope it's not this, but it seems fairly misogynist to me. She's hardly the only critic (or person) to be critical about LONE SURVIVOR (including some vets). Why direct all the vitriol at her?

Because controversy sells, and Glenn Beck knows the radical segment of his audience too well.

• Founder / Operator

There's a big difference between a few fanboys attacking a critic's review of a superhero movie, and a national "celebrity" inspiring his followers to spam out her e-mail and Twitter with some seriously ugly, sexist comments.

We all know what fan trolls are capable of; apply that to a much larger scale with a lot more people, and it's a rather frightening look at how much courage some idiots get when they're behind a keyboard.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 2

There's a big difference between a few fanboys attacking a critic's review of a superhero movie, and a national "celebrity" inspiring his followers to spam out her e-mail and Twitter with some seriously ugly, sexist comments.

We all know what fan trolls are capable of; apply that to a much larger scale with a lot more people, and it's a rather frightening look at how much courage some idiots get when they're behind a keyboard.

Posted Image