Jack Nevada

2014 Academy Awards: The Official Thread (ALL NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST)

I don't really have issues with the winners, just with the overall predictability this year.

Yup. Sums up perfectly. The show is extremely boring and pretty lifeless this year. But there are a lot of deserved winners so I can't complain much.

• Community Manager

Come on, Gravity sweeps most Oscars and people still whine it didn't grab one more Oscar to the shitload of Oscars it bagged tonight?! Get over it, Gravity has already all the tremendous success and awards, it's not like it got horribly snubbed or shutout (AH cough).

I don't think you understand. Maybe your not a fan of the genre, but science fiction has always struggled to get the respect it frankly deserves just because it's exploring society from a different angle: using the fantastic. Having it sweep the Oscars is nice but the award people really care about, the award that would finally show that science fiction is respected as a genre, is Best Picture.

Gravity is an amazing film which deserved to win Best Picture...but it was also possibly the only chance we'll get at finally allowing an entire genre the respect it deserves.

I think all science fiction nerds, like myself, weren't just pinning our hopes on Gravity because it was an amazing movie but because it was a way to acquire validation about the genre we're passionate about. That after all this time, respectable people realize we weren't silly for following a genre about the possibilities...and through those possibilities, exploring the human condition.

• Like 7

12YAS was maybe the 20th best film this year.  It was good but far from the best picture of the year.

I didnt see alot of the best ones, but alot of my pals said 12 was the most moving out of them all who did see the ones nominated..I will have to watch the Wolf, and the one with Bale, Adamns  and Lawrence, and Matthew Mconn.. Im just glad Matthew finally landed his best actor nod.

I'm just picturing JohnnY sitting in front of a giant screen watching all this arguing, stroking his Kyubey and going 'Just as planned'....

• Like 1

No shit. Still can't believe no nomination for Inception, especially in light of them actually giving the award for director to another sci-fi film this year.

The academy is jealous of Nolan's skills as a filmmaking.

I don't think you understand. Maybe your not a fan of the genre, but science fiction has always struggled to get the respect it frankly deserves just because it's exploring society from a different angle: using the fantastic. Having it sweep the Oscars is nice but the award people really care about, the award that would finally show that science fiction is respected as a genre, is Best Picture.

Gravity is an amazing film which deserved to win Best Picture...but it was also possibly the only chance we'll get at finally allowing an entire genre the respect it deserves.

I think all science fiction nerds, like myself, weren't just pinning our hopes on Gravity because it was an amazing movie but because it was a way to acquire validation about the genre we're passionate about. That after all this time, respectable people realize we weren't silly for following a genre about the possibilities...and through those possibilities, exploring the human condition.

I'm a science fiction afficionado and I don't think rewarding a scifi movie for the sake of rewarding a scifi movie is the answer. The Academy should vote for the best movie, period, the genre notwithstanding, that's how scifi should be treated, as equal to any other kind of genre. And Gravity was treated as equal.

For Christ sake, do I remind you Cuaron just won best director Oscar for a scifi movie? Why do people always see the half-empty bottle and not the half-full part?!

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

The academy is jealous of Nolan's skills as a filmmaking.

No but I think there are certain directors who are jealous of his popularity. It's definitely not the entire Academy though or he wouldn't be graced with so many Oscar-winning actors and technical workers on every single film he makes.

• Like 1