grey ghost

Ghost in the Shell | March 31, 2017 | Scarlett Johansson | Paramount | New Trailer on page 43!!!

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Embargo is Thursday 30th, i.e same day as UK release. 

Eeek.

Think I'll still go this weekend. 

For whatever reason there's one cinema screening it in London tomorrow night (Tues-Weds) at midnight...

Anyway reactions from the UK press shows today are NOT embargoed:

Edited by antovolk
  • Like 1

One suspected reason for the very late embargo is not that the movie is terrible but that the whitewashing issue is worst that it already looked like from the casting choice, I imagine that it is (even if it does not really affect the box office that I do not know) nice for the cast doing the press junket to limit how much they have to deal with it.

Who cares about whitewashing? It's about cyborgs, that shouldn't shock.

The only mistake, maybe, was to have this settled in Tokyo, an Americanization would probably be a better choice.

That would be ridiculous for the movie to be judged on whitewashing....Apart from that it seems pretty good apparently, nothing else matters.

So it looks like a good movie, and people who are objective enjoyed it. Only those who are hung up on the "whitewashing" from the start, could not get passed that. I reckon that is the reason for the late embargo. Many critics already have prejudged the movie, no matter how good it is. Look at Iron Fist on RT, only 18% score, but an audience score of 82, with many rotten reviews given just for the reason of "whitewashing", even if the film is good and most people like it.

45 minutes ago, Barnack said:

One suspected reason for the very late embargo is not that the movie is terrible but that the whitewashing issue is worst that it already looked like from the casting choice, I imagine that it is (even if it does not really affect the box office that I do not know) nice for the cast doing the press junket to limit how much they have to deal with it.

This is MASSIVE SPOILERS and it seems very likely true as the artbook all but confirmed it but basically what the film does is actually weave it in...hence the completely polarising reactions, the "2017's Martha scene" comments and people looking forward to seeing how twitter responds

Spoiler

Little Motoko Kusanagi and whoever Kuze was before being Kuze were abducted by Hanka when they were just children to eventually become ScarJoMajor and MichaelPittKuze. Essentially, literally whitewashing them in the film canon - like Star Trek Into Darkness did that with Cumberbatch and Khan in the prequel comics.

I'm seeing this tomorrow night and looking forward to figuring how it all plays out in the end....

Edited by antovolk

56 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Who cares about whitewashing? It's about cyborgs, that shouldn't shock.

The only mistake, maybe, was to have this settled in Tokyo, an Americanization would probably be a better choice.

That would be ridiculous for the movie to be judged on whitewashing....Apart from that it seems pretty good apparently, nothing else matters.

You couldn't really Americanise because the themes are deeply embedded with Japanese culture and relationship with technology.

I find the whitewashing reactions now, a bit comical. They address it as a part of The Major's journey in discovering herself. It's also a huge metaphor for Hollywood and big corporations. I'm surprised many didn't realize that GitS can take that story and say something about identity and existence. 

I can see why press is being handled the way it is currently