grey ghost

Ghost in the Shell | March 31, 2017 | Scarlett Johansson | Paramount | New Trailer on page 43!!!

18 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

@zackzack cause it's a male fantasy to have an action chick with big boobs and big ass. And she has the biggest T&A in Hollywood. It's like sticking a Golden Age of Hollywood sex bomb in an action role. 

She is a fine actress in some roles but she is not sexy to my eyes.

Charlize Theron is sexy, Nathaniel Emmanuel (FF7 girl) is sexy, Maria Sharapova is sexy, Fan Bingbing is sexy

Is my male hormone ...wrong? 

Why they cast her as an Avenger?

• Like 1

http://www.polygon.com/2017/4/7/15217570/ghost-in-the-shell-animated-movie

New animated Ghost in the Shell coming from original production company

Director Kenji Kamiyama returns to the franchise

Following the lackluster success of Paramount’s live-action Ghost in the Shell movie, studio Production I.G announced today it was taking on the franchise again with a new, animated Ghost in the Shell project.

Production I.G worked on the original 1995 Japanese film and is teaming up with directors Kenji Kamiyama and Shinji Aramaki for the new project. Kamiyama is best known for his work on Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, the anime series Production I.G released between 2004 and 2005. Stand Alone Complex is based on the original Ghost in the Shell, created by Masamune Shirow. Aramaki is new to the Ghost in the Shell franchise, but is best known for his directorial work on Appleseed and Appleseed Ex Machina.

Aramaki is known for CGI films.  Maybe Ghost in the Shell would be in CGI?

Appleseed

appleseed-alpha-still1.jpg

Also did Starship Troopers Invasion.

Starship-05.png

14 minutes ago, zackzack said:

She is a fine actress in some roles but she is not sexy to my eyes.

Charlize Theron is sexy, Nathaniel Emmanuel (FF7 girl) is sexy, Maria Sharapova is sexy, Fan Bingbing is sexy

Is my male hormone ...wrong? 

Why they cast her as an Avenger?

Cause the studio (Fox? Sony?) wouldn't let Emily Blunt out of Gulliver contract. She was the first choice but scheduling conflict and contract stood in the way.

• Like 2

New Ghost in teh Shell in CGI? Bad idea. I still feel the hand-drawn animation from Ghibli, Miyazaki, Akira, and the original GitS are just beautiful.

It is unfortunate CGI increases productivity & efficiency ..so sad news

19 hours ago, Barnack said:

The rumors are that 50%+ of that movie achieved to be co-financed and/or pre-sold, from a studio point of view they were clearly worth it before the movie was finished too shoot, the movie was saved by their presence (exit poll show 78% of the audience naming Lawrence or Pratt as a reason to be there). the excellent release date and those deals, that Sony achieved to get purely because of the star power attach.

This is the real dirty secret of Hollywood (well, besides the other stuff) -- so many of these "big" movies are "pre-sold" to the point that they are "in profit" before they even hit theaters.  There's a great story about the original Tomb Raider and all of it's tax-shelter German co-financing and marketing pre-sales that put it into profit for the studio before it even hit theaters -- it's in Edward Jay Epstein's book of essays -- 'The Hollywood Economist.'  Great stuff.  This also contains his awesome journalism how Schwarzenegger benefited crazily from the deal he made for Terminator 3.

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Cause the studio (Fox? Sony?) wouldn't let Emily Blunt out of Gulliver contract. She was the first choice but scheduling conflict and contract stood in the way.

Yeah, I know this story.  This is still sore to me.  Blunt was perfect for BW..

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Macleod said:

This is the real dirty secret of Hollywood (well, besides the other stuff) -- so many of these "big" movies are "pre-sold" to the point that they are "in profit" before they even hit theaters.  There's a great story about the original Tomb Raider and all of it's tax-shelter German co-financing and marketing pre-sales that put it into profit for the studio before it even hit theaters -- it's in Edward Jay Epstein's book of essays -- 'The Hollywood Economist.'  Great stuff.  This also contains his awesome journalism how Schwarzenegger benefited crazily from the deal he made for Terminator 3.

Yeah, I know this story.  This is still sore to me.  Blunt was perfect for BW..

German tax credit situation was a bit exceptionnal, I don't think many big movies achieve to become profitable just by pre-sales, maybe the Twilight/Hunger Games sequels and some other exceptionnaly certain to do really well but still massively pre-sold in many market by the studio because they have no choice. It must have been more common with smaller movie that pre-sales well, like horros that can get an october release date.

Deadline estimate of fo-foreign pre-sales is 130 million, for an estimated net budget of 140 million:

http://deadline.com/2015/03/hunger-games-mockingjay-part-1-profit-box-office-2014-1201391223/

But that is an extreme example, studio would not sell to a rebate in advance the profit of their tentpole sequel usually like Lionsgates do..

From all the Sony movie released between 2006 and 2014 that we can look at, I think none achieved a negative production cost because of pre-sales, some came really close to be free thought (American Hustle for example).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zackzack said:

New Ghost in teh Shell in CGI? Bad idea. I still feel the hand-drawn animation from Ghibli, Miyazaki, Akira, and the original GitS are just beautiful.

It is unfortunate CGI increases productivity & efficiency ..so sad news

I'm cool with watching CGI version.  Like to see how it looks.  I'm sure they will do fine in CGI.  Like Resident evil series CGI movies, Appleseed, Starship Troopers, etc.  As long as it has a good story and visuals, its fine.

No. The new GitS series will definetly be a 3rd season of Stand Alone Complex, that means 2D animation. Its the same director coming back. Production I.G. Didn't promote the hell out of those Tachikoma robots in Japan  these past few months for nothing, you know?

Shame that the Live Action didn't do that well. I really liked it and I wanted a sequel. :(

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/japanese-fans-react-ghost-shell-992255

Fans from Japan reacted really well to the movie.

"I heard people in the U.S. wanted an Asian actress to play her. Would that be OK if she was Asian or Asian-American? Honestly, that would be worse: someone from another Asian country pretending to be Japanese. Better just to make the character white," he added.

• Like 3

Really glad I caught this on its last day in IMAX. Dialogue is occasionally dreadful (thankfully less so as the movie goes on) but the production design is worth the price of admission alone. STUNNING. Enjoyed the way it replicates the rhythms of anime too, with carefully designed and framed shots that tend to linger just a little longer than in your typical VFX-laden action tentpole.

Johannson, Asbaek and Kitano are all perfectly cast. Nice that Juliette Binoche got a little more to do than in her nothing Godzilla role.

• Like 4

caught it in IMAX 3D two days before F8 takes over the screen.

a very enjoyable pop corn version of Oshii's 1995 masterpiece. 

the subject matter is toned down and the narrative relies on popular scifi tropes...but it's all good; it's no more or less deeper or shallower than any mainstream Hollywood fares.

get the most satisfying view experience if one treats this movie as homage, referencing to Oshii's works rather than a remake.

and so, the weakest portion of this film for me is the almost frame-by-frame straightforward copy of the original film. with all the CGI and more than 20 years of advanced technology, yet the original visual-audio poetic moments simply cannot be replicated.

in contrast, the main character's name, the last scene, the last battle and so on, are all very well done in referencing to the original film. 

btw, Kitano as giveaway is just so cool!  

• Like 2

The Japanese are (totally predictably for me) quite fond of Scar-Jo playing Major and think that she is quite ideal for the role. Like I said before, this "whitewashing" BS is a stupid-white-liberal neurosis and nothing else. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAxt0UkezXI

Edited by PPZVGOS
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, PPZVGOS said:

The Japanese are (totally predictably for me) quite fond of Scar-Jo playing major and think that she is quite ideal for the role. Like I said before, this "whitewashing" BS is a stupid-white-liberal neurosis and nothing else. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAxt0UkezXI

Old news. And why would people in Japan care that much when it is Japanese-American actors who are the ones suffering? Also, THR interviewed four Japanese descent actresses working in Hollywood on the subject and they straight up said some Japanese people are obsessed with white people coz they are self-loathing and hence prone to suicide.

Savage much?

• Like 1