Shawn Robbins

Superbowl Weekend Numbers (RTH updated Sun#s pg 14)

Boxofficemojo predicted a decrease of 15% for frozen, damn they were off the mark.

After you substitute the normal Sunday drop with the Superbowl Sunday drop, Tangled's PTA on the same weekend only decreased by 15.5%. So taking in account almost no loss of theaters, the new marketing push and the sing-along attraction, Frozen was never going to show a 15% drop.

Edited by a2knet

So even though the film is supposed to be about Texas and Texas Rangers, we're suddenly at the climax in the middle of Northern Utah (where the historical Transcontinental Railroad meeting was).

Considering all the crazy tonal and genre shifts in this movie, I would not be surprised in the slightest if Kenneth Branagh and his Mecha Spider from Wild Wild West shows up to interrupt the proceedings.

• Like 1

So even though the film is supposed to be about Texas and Texas Rangers, we're suddenly at the climax in the middle of Northern Utah (where the historical Transcontinental Railroad meeting was).

Considering all the crazy tonal and genre shifts in this movie, I would not be surprised in the slightest if Kenneth Branagh and his Mecha Spider from Wild Wild West shows up to interrupt the proceedings.

SHHHH! DON'T TALK ABOUT THE GEOGRAPHY! I MENTIONED IT ONCE BUT I THINK I GOT AWAY WITH IT ALL RIGHT.

Posted Image

• Like 4

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/box-office-ride-along-heading-for-a-three-peat-to-beat-that-awkward-moment-1201080580/

In the battle of buddy comedies, Kevin Hart’s “Ride Along” looks likely to prevail over the opening of Zac Efron’s “That Awkward Moment”with about $12.1 million during Super Bowl weekend at the U.S. box office.

Both were heading toward between $4 million and $4.5 million on Friday. “Awkward” launched with $246,000 from Thursday night late shows, but appeared to be coming in at $10 million for the weekend — below initial  forecasts for $11 million to $15 million.

Disney’s sing-a-long re-release of “Frozen” appeared heading for a third-place finish with $2.45 million on Friday for a three-day gross around $9.2 million. That would push the U.S. cume to $360 million — the fourth highest performance by a title released in 2013 after “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire,” “Iron Man 3″ and “Despicable Me 2″ — and more than $825 million worldwide.

With a 4M Friday, how are those movies supposed to get to 12M with SuperBowl Sunday?

Ride Along got a 55% bump last Saturday. If it gets 4 on Friday, a 50% jump would give it 6 on Saturday for 10. Even a 66% drop on Sunday gives it 12 for the weekend.

If Frozen does have a 2.45 Friday, it should break 10 for the weekend. If it follows the +150% for Saturday and -55% for Sunday it gets about 11.3 for the weekend. So it could still contend for first, depending on what the actuals are and what RA does on Saturday.

So that was The Lone Ranger...

Actually, it was fairly enjoyable, particularly that insane kinetic final action setpiece. The problem, aside from being fairly bloated, is that the film has no idea what kind of movie it wants to be. It's part revisionist Western history piece, part absurdist comedy, and part macabre fantasy and it randomly shifts between them at any second. I get the feeling that there was a lot more fantasy stuff in the movie but it got cut/edited/rewritten out (I know the original attempt at production had to do with Werewolves or something).

One question:

What happened to Cavendish and Fuller? We know Fuller's train crashed into Cavendish's car, but it looked like Fuller definitely jumped clear in time and Cavendish might have, but we don't get any answer (unlike Cole who we clearly see buried by the silver at the river bottom). And then at the very end we have one of the Monty Python killer rabbits ambling over and eating a scorpion, which implies that nature is still out of balance which implies that the wendigo (Cavendish) is still alive

Considering the box office outcome, I guess we will never get an answer.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 2

Ride Along got a 55% bump last Saturday. If it gets 4 on Friday, a 50% jump would give it 6 on Saturday for 10. Even a 66% drop on Sunday gives it 12 for the weekend.

If Frozen does have a 2.45 Friday, it should break 10 for the weekend. If it follows the +150% for Saturday and -55% for Sunday it gets about 11.3 for the weekend. So it could still contend for first, depending on what the actuals are and what RA does on Saturday.

Frozen's last 3 Saturday jumps have been 129%, 110% and 107%. I don't think it can jump 150% this Sat especially as the new version will be more front-loaded than the normal one. Might jump about 110% on Sat, fall about 55% on Sun for a 9.9m weekend (2.45 + 5.15 + 2.32)

EDIT: Tangled did show a 150% superbowl weekend Sat jump, but then it's previous 2 Sat jumps were 140%+.

Edited by a2knet

Frozen's last 3 Saturday jumps have been 129%, 110% and 107%. I don't think it can jump 150% this Sat especially as the new version will be more front-loaded than the normal one. Might jump about 110% on Sat, fall about 55% on Sun for a 9.9m weekend (2.45 + 5.15 + 2.32)

Could be. I mostly grabbed those as others had been tossing them around. I think it may not get quite that sort of Saturday bump (although it could easily get above 110%), but it also might not fall quite that hard on Sunday (maybe 45%). It's mostly that I can't see the weekend multiplier being much below 4.1, which would get it across 10.

So that was The Lone Ranger...

Actually, it was fairly enjoyable, particularly that insane kinetic final action setpiece. The problem, aside from being fairly bloated, is that the film has no idea what kind of movie it wants to be. It's part revisionist Western history piece, part absurdist comedy, and part macabre fantasy and it randomly shifts between them at any second. I get the feeling that there was a lot more fantasy stuff in the movie but it got cut/edited/rewritten out (I know the original attempt at production had to do with Werewolves or something).

One question:

What happened to Cavendish and Fuller? We know Fuller's train crashed into Cavendish's car, but it looked like Fuller definitely jumped clear in time and Cavendish might have, but we don't get any answer (unlike Cole who we clearly see buried by the silver at the river bottom). And then at the very end we have one of the Monty Python killer rabbits ambling over and eating a scorpion, which implies that nature is still out of balance which implies that the wendigo (Cavendish) is still alive

Considering the box office outcome, I guess we will never get an answer.

You're trying to apply logic to a movie that clearly wasn't interested in that in the slightest.

I also got the sense that Verbinski just wanted to make a western and was significantly less interested in actually doing a Lone Ranger story. (I mean, I'm not that much of a LR fan, but they completely butchered that character six ways from Sunday).