grim22

The Disaster Artist - Movie about making of "The Room" | Dec 8 2017

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Apparently WB might sell this off because they don't know how to market it. Someone like A24 or Amazon Studios should pick it up if that proves to be the case.

Rename it to Roomlight and they'll have a Best Picture winner in their hands.

Edited by AABATTERY
  • Like 6

Just now, filmlover said:

Apparently WB might sell this off because they don't know how to market it. Someone like A24 or Amazon Studios should pick it up if that proves to be the case.

Marketing this will definitely be a challenge, making money on it isn't though. Guessing the acquisition price is what 5-10M? A platform release with good reviews can probably bring in 5-10M on the low end due to the curiosity alone. The second step would be getting the DVD/Blu-Ray rights to The Room, getting Tommy Wiseau and Greg Sestero to record special commentary and adding it full of special features such as cast interviews etc and bundling that with The Disaster Artist in a special blu-ray pack, I would wager that can move a lot of units as well.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AABATTERY said:

After throwing a whole lot of shit at the wall, it looks like Franco has finally made one stick.

Yeah, mocking delusional cheap movies when his own delusional and pretentious crap (*cough* The Sound And The Fury, As I Lay Dying and countless other cheap ego-stroking adaptations coasting on William Faulkner's classics) doesn't lend him award accolades.

Can't wait for his mock epic of Manos: The Hands OF Fate.

• Like 1

LOL

NO SPOILERS

On paper, the movie should be a niche story — a comedy about the making of what’s widely regarded as the worst movie of all time, the 2003 cult indie “The Room,” starring an outsider named Tommy Wiseau, who financed the project and directed it, too. But to say the Austin crowd was ecstatic at the premiere is an understatement. I don’t think I’ve ever heard such thunderous rolls of laughter at the Paramount Theatre, thanks to a tour-de-force (and career-best) performance by Franco, who also (how method!) directed the upcoming Warner Bros. release.

Franco plays Wiseau like Jim Carrey as Andy Kaufman in “Man on the Moon,” meets Joaquin Phoenix as Johnny Cash in “Walk the Line.” At a post-screening Q&A, Seth Rogen — who portrays “The Room” script supervisor Sandy Schklair — revealed that Franco stayed in character during the entire shoot, even meeting his grandmother as Wiseau. “There were scenes where you,” Rogen said, pointing to Franco, “were playing Tommy, directing a movie as Tommy, directing a movie as Tommy. We’ve done a lot of weird s— in our day. But that was one where I was like, ‘This is f—ing weird.’”

Franco said he approached playing Wiseau as if he were a legendary screen icon. “It’s funny,” Franco said. “Tommy is a huge fan of James Dean. In a weird way, I studied the role of Tommy in the way I played James Dean — just obsessively driving around in my car, listening to [his] voice all the time.”

Throughout the screening, Wiseau, who was in attendance, sat solemnly next to Sestero, watching the picture for the first time, as the theater erupted around him. After the credits rolled, when approached by a Variety reporter, Wiseau wouldn’t offer a thumbs up or thumbs down. “I have to think about it,” he replied.

The Academy typically doesn’t honor comedies, but there are elements in “The Disaster Artist” that may be hard to resist. First off, it’s a valentine to Hollywood, which is usually a guarantee for a boatload of nominations. Then there’s the film’s star-studded ensemble, some of whom only make a brief cameo — including Sharon Stone (as an agent), Bryan Cranston (playing himself from his “Malcolm in the Middle” days), Melanie Griffith, Zac Efron, Josh Hutcherson, Jacki Weaver, and Judd Apatow.

Warner Bros. doesn’t have a release date set yet, but whenever “The Disaster Artist” hits theaters, it’s sure to be a formidable hit, especially once word-of-mouth gets out. While it helps to know “The Room,” the movie was constructed so that even those unfamiliar with it could follow along. At the post-screening Q&A, the audience started chanting Wiseau’s name, as he reluctantly took the stage with the film’s cast for a photograph. “I hope he liked it,” Rogen said. If he didn’t, he’d be the only one.

Edited by franfar
  • Like 2

“There were scenes where you,” Rogen said, pointing to Franco, “were playing Tommy, directing a movie as Tommy, directing a movie as Tommy. We’ve done a lot of weird s— in our day. But that was one where I was like, ‘This is f—ing weird.’”

tumblr_lst1q7lrB61qg39ewo1_500.gif

• Like 2