CJohn

Minecraft | April 4, 2025 | Warner Bros.

While I have questions, I don't think this looks that bad. I think all you guys are way overreacting at the moment. 

I am concerned that Jared Hess is directing cause we know his type of comedy and I don't know if that will work with this type of project. 

• Like 1

What's going on in the background doesn't look bad, what's bad is, that nobody seemed to care, that the Space Jam-Concept just doesn't work at all in terms of optics in this case. It's just offputting. I mean, they must have seen it themselves...so...they just went "Ah, whatever, maybe nobody notices it". 

Edited by Poseidon

On 9/4/2024 at 4:53 PM, vafrow said:

My general approach on things like this that aren't targeted towards me is to reserve judgement until I talk to someone who it is aimed at.

I just spoke to my 11 year old that's been fairly obsessed with Minecraft in the past, and still maintains a fondness for the franchise. He's also a big movie fan and generally is game to see anything remotely appropriate for him.

He does not like this and says he'll probably not want to see it. He said it looks like the bad fake trailers that YouTubers put out.

Maybe the IP awareness gets this to respectable numbers, or maybe it'll resonate younger, but this looks like a major whiff.

Update on this.

One of my kids friends were over and they were talking about this. The friend was more negative on the trailer than my kid. He said it looks stupid. This kid is constantly watching the Skibidi Toilet videos at our house. This is not a kid with refined taste.

• Haha 9

Just now, HummingLemon496 said:

Now what about total? Worst legs for $100M opener on the table?

That's what I'm thinking, the kids are going to love this but the rest of the world is going to ignore it or hate it.

I bet this is going to make 80-100m OW but the legs are going to be terrible, 200 Domestic at best.

That being said, on the other hand, I also think this also has great opportunity to flop if the trailers keep looking this awful.

Honestly, I don't think it looks that bad. The visuals actually look pretty cool. About what you would want to see from a live action Minecraft world. I thought the music worked for the trailer as well. Jack Black as Steve makes sense. I do have concerns of course. I'm not sure what to make of the main characters. What the heck is Jason Mamoa wearing? And are all the characters going to be rude and/or annoying? Based on the lines given here, it kinda seems like it. But not many lines given so I don't really get the overreactions.

I enjoyed the trailer. Or at least the first nine seconds of it. I thought the environments looked nice, but all of the mobs in the trailer looked extremely off-putting and it's extremely jarring to see all of the actors up against the environment.

That said, I am curious to see this in theatres. Don't really know how this is going to do (leaning towards definitely not reaching the full potential of a Minecraft movie), but the last movie I went to see in theatres out of morbid curiosity was Cats, and well that was a disaster. This should probably do better than that, but I don't know by how much.

30 million views in 3 days is insane. Likes would be over 1 million if the trailer wasn’t disliked. Honestly, this could’ve easily become WB’s highest grossing movie of all time (worldwide) if they made even a mediocre looking movie

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

30 million views in 3 days is insane. Likes would be over 1 million if the trailer wasn’t disliked. Honestly, this could’ve easily become WB’s highest grossing movie of all time (worldwide) if they made even a mediocre looking movie

Had they played it straight and went for an earnest adventure movie, then it would've had potential. Instead, they went to the weird meta route that sunk Detective Pikachu. Between that, and the negative reception to the trailer, I doubt this makes much more than that one did.

• Like 1