Impact

Best visual effects-2014

Which list? People were talking about it before it got moved... I'm assuming that's the deal.

AH. Well that would make sense then. Thank you sir. You are a gentleman and scholar. Not to mention you smell like fresh baked cookies. Always a plus. 

Edited by Rufus Magillicutty

DOTPOTA far and away had the best visual effects from last year. Interstellar comes in a distant second. Third best was probably Guardians.

It will be a big shame if Apes doesn't win.

Edited by Empire
  • Like 3

DOTPOTA far and away had the best visual effects from last year. Interstellar comes in a distant second. Third best was probably Guardians.

It will be a big shame if Apes doesn't win.

It most likely won't sadly.

I personally thought Interstellar had better effects but that's just me.

voting for vfx is different from other awards at oscars because the people who vote for the nominees in the category have to go to a screening where they watch a 20 minute reel of vfx in the films on the shortlist that the studio put together and the voters have to vote based on that. after seeing all of them.

According to David Cohen, Apes, Guardians, Interstellar and X-Men had the most impressive reels, w/ X-men being the only one to get a round of applause.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

Apes was so much more impressive than IS effect-wise.

And the better movie too...

Anyway... Serkis needs an Oscar at some point. For Apes he would have deserved a Supporting Nod. Won't be long until digital characters can get nominations, I think... it may be too late for Serkis, though. He already pulled off three master-performances with Gollum, Kong and Caesar. Maybe some Special Oscar at some point.

Edited by ShouldIBeHere

Apes was so much more impressive than IS effect-wise.

And the better movie too...

Anyway... Serkis needs an Oscar at some point. For Apes he would have deserved a Supporting Nod. Won't be long until digital characters can get nominations, I think... it may be too late for Serkis, though. He already pulled off three master-performances with Gollum, Kong and Caesar. Maybe some Special Oscar at some point.

He deserves it for a lot of his work, but I rarely agree with Oscar winners/nominations anyway, so I'm not too fussed about whether he wins one specific award or whatever.

Though he wasn't a supporting character in Dawn, he was the lead alongside Jason Clarke. They were equally the lead characters and neither was in a supporting role.

• Like 1

VISUAL EFFECTS

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Dan DeLeeuw, Russell Earl, Bryan Grill and Dan Sudick

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Joe Letteri, Dan Lemmon, Daniel Barrett and Erik Winquist

Guardians of the Galaxy
Stephane Ceretti, Nicolas Aithadi, Jonathan Fawkner and Paul Corbould

Interstellar
Paul Franklin, Andrew Lockley, Ian Hunter and Scott Fisher

X-Men: Days of Future Past
Richard Stammers, Lou Pecora, Tim Crosbie and Cameron Waldbauer

I'm not surprised Godzilla didnt make to the list, but CA2 and X-Men over TH3? Damn!

And TH3 not being nominated seems to me like a message that the judges will likely give the award to Interstellar instead of Apes.

Edited by vc2002

There are no 12-year experiments like Boyhood in this year's Oscar category for best visual effects, yet innovation drives the five nominees. USA TODAY's Brian Truitt surveys the field competing at the Academy Awards on Feb. 22 and how FX gurus pulled off some of 2014's great movie moments.

Article at link: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2015/01/28/2015-oscar-visual-effects-nominees/22429315/