Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Whatever you think of the LOTR sequels, the reality is that yes, ALIENS and T2 always get mentioned whenever there's a list of the best sequels of all time. Always. I am 100 % sure that Cameron will not give us «more of the same» in Avatar 2. The guy is too much of a perfectionist to simply give us a replay of the first film.

Edited by cochofles
  • Like 2

FOTR for me, but all of the Hobbit movies are worse then any LOTR film.

I loved FOTR, probably my favourite one. But yeah, The Hobbit movies don't even compare imo.

The Two Towers.....

Posted Image

Edited by jessie
  • Like 1

Nope, with GodFather 2 and TTT and ROTK

I do love the LotR trilogy, but TTT isn't a typical 2nd installment as the trilogy was shot back-to-back

TTT wasn't consistent in it's quality in each and every scene, see the reactions of the others here about TTT (still love it too)

If something is a ~ sequel for that I'd list the Hobbit movies, but again, they also seem to vary a bit

What makes Aliens special as a sequel with a matching quality is IMHO, it's done by another director, a considerable production break, mostly other cast,.... (1979, 1986, 1992, and 1996) and still convinced

Terminator 2 had a considerable production break (1984 & 1991, the 2003 version with another director..., and 2009 with again another director) and a change of cast beside 2 and crew too, also usually a bit difficult

The Godfather (all by the same director) had 1972, 1974, and 1990 as release years, still I would put part 2 high on the list

• Like 1

Avatar 2,3 and 4 will be a commercial failure.  

Yes I think they will be huge disappointments. I'm only talking BO wise, since I'm not expecting anything out of these movies considering how average the first one was.

It's kind of sad going from movies like T2, still one of the best movie ever, to this ...  :(

• Like 1

Yes I think they will be huge disappointments. I'm only talking BO wise, since I'm not expecting anything out of these movies considering how average the first one was.

It's kind of sad going from movies like T2, still one of the best movie ever, to this ...  :(

Avatar made billions!  Billions!!!

• Like 2

Yes I think they will be huge disappointments. I'm only talking BO wise, since I'm not expecting anything out of these movies considering how average the first one was.It's kind of sad going from movies like T2, still one of the best movie ever, to this ... :(

Yeah, so sad...going from T2 to...Avatar, a film that was nominated for nine Oscars (including Best Picture and Best Director), won Best Cinematography, Best F/X, and Best Art Direction, got an 83 % Fresh rating at RT (249 fresh reviews out of 292), and got extraordinary word of mouth, as proven by the fact that it got close to a ten multiplier, even after opening with a massive 77 million dollars. So sad being reduced to directing a film like Avatar, which not only got all that critical acclaim, awards love and wom, but amassed 2.7 billion worldwide, becoming the top grossing film of all time. And all this after directing the second biggest grossing film of all time, which WON 11 Oscars, including BP and BD, and also became an iconic, critically acclaimed word of mouth smash that is one of only two films EVER to gross 2 billion dollars. Yeah, poor James Cameron...to go from Aliens and T2 to Titanic and Avatar. That's truly hitting rock bottom. He is probably devastated because of his downward spiral... ;) Edited by cochofles
  • Like 6

Yeah, so sad...going from T2 to...Avatar, a film that was nominated for nine Oscars (including Best Picture and Best Director), won Best Cinematography, Best F/X, and Best Art Direction, got an 83 % Fresh rating at RT (249 fresh reviews out of 292), and got extraordinary word of mouth, as proven by the fact that it got close to a ten multiplier, even after opening with a massive 77 million dollars. So sad being reduced to directing a film like Avatar, which not only got all that critical acclaim, awards love and wom, but amassed 2.7 billion worldwide, becoming the top grossing film of all time. And all this after directing the second biggest grossing film of all time, which WON 11 Oscars, including BP and BD, and also became an iconic, critically acclaimed word of mouth smash that is one of only two films EVER to gross 2 billion dollars. Yeah, poor James Cameron...to go from Aliens and T2 to Titanic and Avatar. That's truly hitting rock bottom. He is probably devastated because of his downward spiral... ;)

Regardless of how much money Avatar made, from an objective critical standpoint it is nowhere near the quality of either Terminator, Aliens or The Abyss. Cameron remains a great director, but his writing has gotten progressively lazier since True Lies. Even Titanic, as good a film as it, owes its emotional power to the real life tragedy, not Cameron's pedestrian screenplay.

• Like 1

Regardless of how much money Avatar made, from an objective critical standpoint it is nowhere near the quality of either Terminator, Aliens or The Abyss. Cameron remains a great director, but his writing has gotten progressively lazier since True Lies. Even Titanic, as good a film as it, owes its emotional power to the real life tragedy, not Cameron's pedestrian screenplay.

Hollywood blockbusters writers wish they could craft such "pedestrian" screenplays.

• Like 6