Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

17 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

The question remains how will Cameron be able to maintain the novelty which the last one accomplished due to the fact of improved 3D technology. I think they'll need to create special theatres where they retrofit it with mechanical seats that move according to the action that takes place on the screen as well as probably atmospheric features such as cold, hot and windy environments to further make use of what's going on in the movie. 

The point of added the atmospheric features would be for a full sensory bombardment which suggests to me you never actually watched Avatar in 3D IMAX.

It's not a novelty or gimmick either it's a way of filmmaking. Cameron is one of the few Directors who films in 3D instead of adding it as a post production effect, he believes 3D is the future of Cinema.

15 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

I am pretty sure even Cameron knows it will be hard to top Avatar's boxoffice. But quality wise he has a very good shot at topping Avatar. The guy gave us arguably two best sequels of all time in Aliens and T2.

As much as I like Aliens I really do not think it tops Ridley Scott's Alien as it is a really different movie.

I think I prefer the first one actually.

However yeah, T2 omg.

Guys, does this sound like a man who isn't stepping up his game, as per usual.

"We have design more or less finished," Cameron revealed, "which is an enormous task. It's been about a two-year task. (We've finished) all the creatures and the landscapes, and the new worlds within the world of Pandora that you see. The writing is ongoing, but almost finished. Technical development is done. Stages are done. Infrastructure. So we're really poised to start after the first of the year."

4 hours ago, arlo said:
When Avatar's success proved the doomsayers wrong and showed its detractors to be a fringe minority, they resorted to arguing it was only because of the 3D (the same 3D that they'd mocked Cameron for believing in) and that Avatar would flop on blu-ray. Of course that didn't happen either. None of their predictions do, but they keep plugging along, trying to convince themselves that public opinion is secretly with them. That it matters this much to them is one reason why they have such difficulty understanding Avatar's audience, most of whom couldn't care less about whether this movie they casually enjoyed six years ago is winning in geek debates on the internet.

Avatar is the Frampton Comes Alive of blu-rays. Everyone owns a copy but no one knows why. I bought the blu-ray when it first came out and have never watched it.

4 hours ago, arlo said:

There has been a ton of negativity directed at Avatar ever since the first teaser came out. Especially in internet comment sections. If they were actually representative of public opinion, Avatar would've flopped like they predicted, Serenity would've grossed more than Titanic and Ron Paul would've been elected President of the United States in a landslide.

When Avatar's success proved the doomsayers wrong and showed its detractors to be a fringe minority, they resorted to arguing it was only because of the 3D (the same 3D that they'd mocked Cameron for believing in) and that Avatar would flop on blu-ray. Of course that didn't happen either. None of their predictions do, but they keep plugging along, trying to convince themselves that public opinion is secretly with them. That it matters this much to them is one reason why they have such difficulty understanding Avatar's audience, most of whom couldn't care less about whether this movie they casually enjoyed six years ago is winning in geek debates on the internet.

And now, of course, those same detractors (who bought the DVD) claim that they have never watched it.

LOL

BY the way, LOL @ BKB and any Marvel Studios fan for bashing any film's "lack of originality".... the irony is just too grand... 

5 hours ago, arlo said:

There has been a ton of negativity directed at Avatar ever since the first teaser came out. Especially in internet comment sections. If they were actually representative of public opinion, Avatar would've flopped like they predicted, Serenity would've grossed more than Titanic and Ron Paul would've been elected President of the United States in a landslide.

LOL And this thing that fanboy trolls do ("MY opinion is this, therefore the general audience thinks the same") is still happening. That's why we have people still saying things like, "Nobody liked Avatar...MOS was hated by everyone who saw it...only teenage girls liked Titanic...the BVS trailer got a bad reaction and everyone loved the CW trailer..."

It's a very special kind of delusion that makes one think that one's opinion is representative of millions and millions of people. 

But that's the internet! :-)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

And now, of course, those same detractors (who bought the DVD) claim that they have never watched it.

LOL

BY the way, LOL @ BKB and any Marvel Studios fan for bashing any film's "lack of originality".... the irony is just too grand... 

Someone who claimed Avatar just isn't re-watchable went on to tell me how he never has the willpower to put in the blu-ray, talk about stupidity.

Edited by IronJimbo

it does make my laugh how people try to tear down the success of any movie.  Whether you like it or not, think it deserves it or not, doesn't change anything.  I saw Avatar once in the theater in 3D (which didn't add anything to the film) and didn't think it was anything special, so I never tried seeing again until it came on cable.  Now saying that, do I trash the film endlessly?  No.  Then again I don't trash it at all.  I think it is the worst of the Cameron films, but that does say a lot since I love most of his films and like just about all.  So even that really isn't a knock against the movie.

Did the 3D help the gross?  of friggin course it did, no one is denying that, but to say that is literally the SOLE reason is just not true.  Some people apparently liked the story and other parts as well.

Did it leave a cultural mark or anything like that, not really, but again, so what?!?  it still was the biggest film DOM until yesterday and the sequel will be pretty huge too.

not seeing what the big deal really is about all this :P

3 hours ago, RascarCapat said:

As much as I like Aliens I really do not think it tops Ridley Scott's Alien as it is a really different movie.

I think I prefer the first one actually.

However yeah, T2 omg.

There are many who feel aliens is more entertaining. Subjective opinion. But still doesn't change the fact that it is one of the best sequels if not better than original.