Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

3 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Cameron did "more of the same" his whole career so to speak, with the exception of Avatar and one could argue 3D was already becoming a thing before it. It was Avatar that truly legitimated 3D, though. There will be your premium theaters like your IMAXs but anyone thinking the majority of theaters will throw out their equipment again is going to be wrong. I love progress, too, new shiny things, but economic realities are a bitch.

Each one of his movie got exponentially ambitious in terms of technology and its appliance to storytelling so I'd say he built his whole career onto doing much better than "more of the same" or else it's worthless.

13 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Cameron did "more of the same" his whole career if you will, with the exception of Avatar and one could argue 3D was already becoming a thing before it. It was Avatar that truly legitimated 3D, though. There will be your premium theaters like your IMAXs but anyone thinking the majority of theaters will throw out their equipment again is going to be wrong. I love progress, too, new shiny things, but economic realities are a bitch.

Yup. Theaters are beginning to see the great investment they can have in PLF, but that's only one or two screens in a multiplex. The cost of making a large format screen is a lot less than renovating an entire theater with new projectors.

4 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Each one of his movie got exponentially ambitious in terms of technology and its appliance to storytelling so I'd say he built his whole career onto doing much better than "more of the same" or else it's worthless.

Yes, on the production, not the exhibition side.

I cant see any new cinema tech being used for Avatar 2 and on. HFR already shot its bolt and failed, too many dislike it, too many cinemas didnt bother. 270 degree films are dumb when the average flea pit wont upgrade to show it. Even 3D is dead now that no TV manufacturers are making 3D TVs any more. All we will get for Avatar now are 4K and HDR, and probably the best 4K and HDR we've ever seen, but nothing much else if it cant be replicated in the home.

5 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

I cant see any new cinema tech being used for Avatar 2 and on. 

There were at some point some rumors of glasses less 3D (ultra-D), I needed step for 3D to ever become popular and the norm in people house. And the only I can think off that could reproduce the excitement of the Avatar 3D in some way. Underwater live action 3D could be nice and be sold as new I think, but it would not be exhibition technical stuff.

1 hour ago, Telerian said:

Recreate the excitement of AVATAR? Just make a top-notch movie. We know the tech specs will be superlative no matter the format(s).

Name a more trustworthy director to do this feat. He'll do it.

• Like 4

I actually don't think he can do it or get the technology on board.  Theaters simply aren't investing in any further tech in this environment.  3D is essentially dead.  HFR is dead.  Unless he has come up with something revolutionary or some gimmick we haven't seen, there is nothing he can do to make Avatar 2 stand out besides making an exceptional story.  

Sorry, but the first movie didn't have an exceptional story.  It had ground breaking visuals and 3D that translated into a decade that saw a peak and then massive decline.  Then Netflix came along, then Amazon, then a bunch of other at home streaming.  

Not going to doubt him, but even Cameron isn't perfect.  He is working with fucking Robert Rodriguez right now for fuck's sake.  

• Like 1

In terms of this production, I don't think 3D or HFR is dead, if Cameron chooses to go that route. (He's talked about experimenting with variable HFR.) At this point, I don't think he'd go the extreme route of BILLY LYNN's 120/4K/3D -- if he went with 60/4K/3D, for example, most theaters could handle it. And I trust Cameron's understanding of technology enough to give him the benefit of the doubt on choosing what he feels is appropriate. 

But even assuming he did nothing but give us a 4K/3D version, not breaking any new ground when it comes to exhibition, I've gotta also assume his storytelling capabilities are up to par as well. Even given its various simplicities and overly-familiar storyline, AVATAR is still better structured and better-paced than most blockbusters these days. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Tele Came Back said:

In terms of this production, I don't think 3D or HFR is dead, if Cameron chooses to go that route. (He's talked about experimenting with variable HFR.) At this point, I don't think he'd go the extreme route of BILLY LYNN's 120/4K/3D -- if he went with 60/4K/3D, for example, most theaters could handle it. And I trust Cameron's understanding of technology enough to give him the benefit of the doubt on choosing what he feels is appropriate. 

But even assuming he did nothing but give us a 4K/3D version, not breaking any new ground when it comes to exhibition, I've gotta also assume his storytelling capabilities are up to par as well. Even given its various simplicities and overly-familiar storyline, AVATAR is still better structured and better-paced than most blockbusters these days. 

Well, that should give this thread a 2-3 pages bump.:P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vc2002 said:

Well, that should give this thread a 2-3 pages bump.:P

30 posts saying "I agree well said Tele."

I don't see this thread bump happening.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Tele Came Back said:

It isn't dead because studios still force 3D terms and capabilities into the opening week and theaters have the technology to begrudgingly accommodate, but it is effectively dead as far as innovation or growth.  If given the choice, the vast majority of theater owners would love to see it go away at this point.  Customers seem to agree.  

The interesting thing would be to see if no studios imposed 3D terms how many would still book prints and voluntarily show the movie that way.  I think it would be about 10% of theaters after a few weeks of being given the option.  

HFR is a whole other story.  Unfortunately the only 2 moves that tried to show it off weren't any good so it hasn't gotten an ounce of traction.  

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

91xy-MFrnoL.jpg

@franfar he couldn't get the rights to it, hardly quitting when he never started! 

Currently reading the above, will keep everyone updated on anything new I find. 

woah nice artwork there, saved

• Like 1

On 4.4.2017 at 6:16 PM, Captain Craig said:

I can't even recall the last time a wide release blockbuster film was advertised as being in 3-D.

I'm not a fan of most of his movies but kudos for believing in 3D and doing it right.

• Like 2

I figured I'd just begun to tune out adverts for 3-D. I'll see TF5 but not in 3-D. Didn't realize GitS was presented that way either till earlier today. 

Short of a really good story Cameron will have to try hard to get me into the theater for this. Hell, I had a free screener pass for the first and felt like I had largely wasted my time outside of the jazzy 3-D sequences.

5 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

A lot of that was because the studio dictated prime round shows had to be in 3D

Are they enforcing theaters to keep it on multiple screens this weekend? It performed like shit at my AMC this past weekend, yet it's staying on two screens (although they're going to be in some of the theater's smallest auditoriums and Boss Baby has one show on each of them).

Edited by WrathOfHan