Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Avatar s budget was probably around 400m+, given the scope & complexity of the movie, its length which in CGI/rendering/calculations ressources is a huuuuge factor.

Cameron and Landeau always  refused to reveal the "true" budget of the movie.

I remember hearing Fox executives were literraly trembling at the premiere, even If I know they kinda abadonned the movie midway through , they were still hugely involved with the  financial outcome.

And the rest is history as they said ...

Edited by The Futurist

4 minutes ago, Ranger Tree said:

No just regular 3D. Let me know if you actually want to go 😂

probably not then, I've never seen it in IMAX (or any film in IMAX) and was actively looking for an imax showing of it last week. Couldn't find shit

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ranger Tree said:

Cineworld website.

Hmmm... 

So 3 hours each way on a train, £30 train tickets, £10 movie tickets and an exam the day after... 

It could be worth it, but how desperate am I? :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Ranger Tree said:

3 hours damn. To be fair it's 2 hours from me but I'm happy to drive for hours and hours lol. Where'd you live?

Well I live near Gatwick but am at uni atm near Coventry. And since I'd be coming from there that's what I calculated. Would be even further from Gatwick.

i genuinely would consider driving up as I love to drive also, but I don't have my car atm as my brother has it and it's unlikely I'll get it back until September

6 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

Well I live near Gatwick but am at uni atm near Coventry. And since I'd be coming from there that's what I calculated. Would be even further from Gatwick.

i genuinely would consider driving up as I love to drive also, but I don't have my car atm as my brother has it and it's unlikely I'll get it back until September

fair enough haha. Maybe not worth it. You should definitely keep an eye out on films around the country because you never know what might be playing within reach. I saw Fellowship of the Ring the other day. I much prefer going to see films I know I like, in the cinema.

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

UK Avatar crew will assemble for IMAX showing?

Definitely. If you ever find an IMAX showing of Avatar, let me know.

Would it really matter though? Given the film wasn't shot in IMAX.

Edited by Ranger Tree

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

UK Avatar crew will assemble for IMAX showing?

Abso-fucking-lutely!

as long as you don't kidnap me afterwards or are some creepy 50-yr old then I'm down with that

3 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

Abso-fucking-lutely!

as long as you don't kidnap me afterwards or are some creepy 50-yr old then I'm down with that

I'll only kidnap you if you turn out to be a Na'vi.
Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

james-cameron-avatar-artwork.jpg

the-terminator-06-large.jpg

Jim has many talents

His Alien queen concept arts are ace too even though he's inspired by Giger's art.

qa_original.jpg

aliens_die_rueckkehr_32.jpg

592?cb=20100601182444

As someone who is passionate by graphic arts/illustration and love to sketch/draw, this is why I love James Cameron as an artist beyond his directing talent. I don't know many directors that can paint traditionally their own movie concept arts (George Lucas had to rely on Ralph McQuarrie's talents to visualize his ideas for SW for hence).

When I saw Avatar, I told myself "That kind of movie is why I'm drawing my imagination out. Movies like Avatar which is an ode to dreaming artists that inspire in return many graphic artists to let their imagination roam wild and pursue their own artistic endeavour". The power of creation and the craft to manifest your imagination into reality is something I value dearly and tremendously respect in one another (Because it epitomizes the divine beauty of the human mind's capacities, everything surrounding us started as a sketch from someone's imagination).

I have the Avatar artbook and it is truly inspiring to see how it basically started from this Cameron's original sketch and became a juggernaut of science-fiction and fantasy on that massive scale:

zz07a2d3ef.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

His Alien queen concept arts are ace too even though he's inspired by Giger's art.

qa_original.jpg

aliens_die_rueckkehr_32.jpg

592?cb=20100601182444

As someone who is passionate by graphic arts/illustration and love to sketch/draw, this is why I love James Cameron as an artist beyond his directing talent. I don't know many directors that can paint traditionally their own movie concept arts (George Lucas had to rely on Ralph McQuarrie's talents to visualize his ideas for SW for hence).

When I saw Avatar, I told myself "That kind of movie is why I'm drawing my imagination out. Movies like Avatar which is an ode to dreaming artists that inspire in return many graphic artists to let their imagination roam wild and pursue their own artistic endeavour". The power of creation and the craft to manifest your imagination into reality is something I value dearly and tremendously respect in one another (Because it epitomizes the divine beauty of the human mind's capacities, everything surrounding us started as a sketch from someone's imagination).

I have the Avatar artbook and it is truly inspiring to see how it basically started from this Cameron's original sketch and became a juggernaut of science-fiction and fantasy on that massive scale:

zz07a2d3ef.jpg

I have to find some of the concept art for Pandora it's incredible, Jim brought together the best artists he could find who had the best science fiction/fantasy backgrounds and brought them in to bootcamp with Jim and do the designs (god wish that were me)

npa_04.jpg?1452269449

826614d5bbef11cf32e8e150906bf79b.jpg

Wayne Barlowe is one of them https://waynebarlowe.wordpress.com/artwork/film-tv-game/

• Like 3

10 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

psychedelic deleted scene from Avatar that was cut, too hardcore for a 2.78 billion dollar film.

@Ranger Tree

That's a great little sequence, but yeah easy to see why it was left out. I like that there's more buildup to him taming the red bird.

• Like 1