Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

For folks saying the story in Avatar is simple. I guess it is in some ways, and it's this way by design. Jim had, if I remember correctly, a much more in depth draft of the script (or at least a long treatment) that he streamlined and simplified to make it as widely accessible as possible. And boy, did it pay off. I have no doubt that he's going in much deeper on the sequels and offer something even meatier.

Avatar still is a wondrous piece of cinema. People didn't just respond to the visuals, they responded to a beautifully crafted story that is really well told with strong characters, a thumping heart and a real soul. That's what Cameron does. The extended cut (the longest available) is on another level though, I wish more people would watch that cut. 

This.

Also...we need to remember this: Avatar was one of the films from 2009 which was nominated for Best Picture. So clearly....Avatar did connect to a mass audience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

Said it a long time ago, for A2 :

China BO > USA BO is a foregone conclusion at this point.

The difference will be shocking.

Cameron is beloved over there.

Avatar 2 is backed by big chinese investors, Cameron went there mulitple times.

It can do close to One Billion in China I think.

COULD is the important word for China Box office. Also could easily do 300 million less (which is still probably almost 100 million more than End Game). Reception matters and it is not a foregone conclusion that it will have the 9.7 or whatever insane maoyan score is needed to get a billion.

• ...wtf 1

I honestly think Avatar 2 alone is going to seriously up the ante. My brain can't even conceive of the way the Na'Vi are going to look with a decade of VFX advances, they look so "photoreal" (especially the "Outstanding" scene, the lighting in that scene is just so realistic) already in Avatar, I can't imagine how insane it's all going to look.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TimmyRiggins said:

I honestly think Avatar 2 alone is going to seriously up the ante. My brain can't even conceive of the way the Na'Vi are going to look with a decade of VFX advances, they look so "photoreal" (especially the "Outstanding" scene, the lighting in that scene is just so realistic) already in Avatar, I can't imagine how insane it's all going to look.

Visually I agree. Question is what the overall reception be. I can't wait to see in normal 2d and the premium formats to compare the difference. I am expecting a visual masterpiece.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

As much as the 3D is great on this, I'll always take 2D over it, it's just brighter (and wearing a second pair of glasses on top of another ain't great). Now, if autostereoscopy shows up and delivers without the cons of viewing angle and lower resolution, that'd make viewing in 3D mandatory. 

Edited by TimmyRiggins
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

For folks saying the story in Avatar is simple. I guess it is in some ways, and it's this way by design. Jim had, if I remember correctly, a much more in depth draft of the script (or at least a long treatment) that he streamlined and simplified to make it as widely accessible as possible. And boy, did it pay off. I have no doubt that he's going in much deeper on the sequels and offer something even meatier.

Avatar still is a wondrous piece of cinema. People didn't just respond to the visuals, they responded to a beautifully crafted story that is really well told with strong characters, a thumping heart and a real soul. That's what Cameron does. The extended cut (the longest available) is on another level though, I wish more people would watch that cut. 

The source for this one is at 6min 50seconds.

Also I love the extended cut for the Grace scenes, fuller greater movie imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

As much as the 3D is great on this, I'll always take 2D over it, it's just brighter (and wearing a second pair of glasses on top of another ain't great). Now, if autostereoscopy shows up and delivers without the cons of viewing angle and lower resolution, that'd make viewing in 3D mandatory. 

Timmy Timmy Timmy!!!!!!!!!

Jim (Jimmy) is spinning in his directors chair right now. You know who hates dark 3D screens more than you? It's Jim of course.

He even disallowed cinemas from showing Alita in 3D if the screens didn't meet the required lumen rating (over 4).

I think he said 2d is in 16 lumens, and that's how 3D should be aswell, it's how he watches it in his editing studio.

Cinemas are going to have to get the fuck in line if they want that Avatar money, especially with Disney's backing aswell.

Find a DOLBY cinema and watch the film properly please.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Said it a long time ago, for A2 :

China BO > USA BO is a foregone conclusion at this point.

The difference will be shocking.

Cameron is beloved over there.

Avatar 2 is backed by big chinese investors, Cameron went there mulitple times.

It can do close to One Billion in China I think.

More futurist. More my friend. We can all will it to 1.1-1.2 b USD from China alone😎😎

Its going to be a run long remembered.

• Astonished 3

26 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Timmy Timmy Timmy!!!!!!!!!

Jim (Jimmy) is spinning in his directors chair right now. You know who hates dark 3D screens more than you? It's Jim of course.

He even disallowed cinemas from showing Alita in 3D if the screens didn't meet the required lumen rating (over 4).

I think he said 2d is in 16 lumens, and that's how 3D should be aswell, it's how he watches it in his editing studio.

Cinemas are going to have to get the fuck in line if they want that Avatar money, especially with Disney's backing aswell.

Find a DOLBY cinema and watch the film properly please.

Oh I know all about his Alita memo to theaters :D No Dolby Cinema around here. But when I'm in the US more permanently, I shall see it the way it's meant to be seen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, TimmyRiggins said:

2D is only brighter because many (most?) cinemas don't properly show 3D movies (Endgame being a recent example, it looked absolutely horrid in my 3D showing). A 3D movie with proper lighting (like the original Avatar) can look much better than the 2D version.

• Like 2

Even before passing Avatar, Endgame is starting to feel the heavy weight of the crown, with haters becoming mainstream as people talk about how much better IW and/or Avatar was than Endgame, and how little Endgame's plot made sense. I'm commonly seeing Avatar critics at 0 or lower karma, which was quite rare even a month ago unless it was blatant trolling. Wewww laddy. Don't worry Endgame fans, you'll only have to deal with the hate for another 18 months. :)

The intense discussion around Avatar and Avatar 2, even in the midst of something colossal like Endgame, is just a taste of what's to come.

Edited by Pure Spirit
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Even before passing Avatar, Endgame is starting to feel the heavy weight of the crown, with haters becoming mainstream as people talk about how much better IW and/or Avatar was than Endgame, and how little Endgame's plot made sense. I'm commonly seeing Avatar critics at 0 or lower karma, which was quite rare even a month ago unless it was blatant trolling. Wewww laddy. Don't worry Endgame fans, you'll only have to deal with the hate for another 18 months. :)

The intense discussion around Avatar and Avatar 2, even in the midst of something colossal like Endgame, is just a taste of what's to come.

with

900m DOM is no where near the minimum range

• Thanks 3

I'm Kal and I approve the above message on getting out and seeing Avatar 2 in the best format Jim recommends...Its just the complete immersive experience and the best formats are proably going to have the masses repeat buy again and again like a certain pink bunny we all know and love

😇🐰

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

900m DOM is no where near the minimum range

I'm optimistic about Avatar beating $3B after seeing a recent blockbuster's performance :). To me it just demonstrates how much bigger those markets have grown and how much proper marketing can tap into them, and how ridiculous predictions like $1.5B for Avatar 2 really are. Could it approach $4B? I don't expect another Titanic-tier performance, but I could see James hitting the heights of Avatar again, especially with 10 years of preparation and hard work. 

I'm also more optimistic about the chances for Avatar 3 to top Avatar 2, based on how IW led to Endgame getting huge grosses. 

10 years is a long time, so many people commentating weren't adults when Avatar came out, and don't appreciate what a phenomenon it was. Some of them think Avatar was released in some Gone with the Wind era where people didn't have alternative entertainment options (similar to commentary I see about Titanic). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Pure Spirit said:

I'm optimistic about Avatar beating $3B after seeing a recent blockbuster's performance :). To me it just demonstrates how much bigger those markets have grown and how much proper marketing can tap into them, and how ridiculous predictions like $1.5B for Avatar 2 really are. Could it approach $4B? I don't expect another Titanic-tier performance, but I could see James hitting the heights of Avatar again, especially with 10 years of preparation and hard work. 

I'm also more optimistic about the chances for Avatar 3 to top Avatar 2, based on how IW led to Endgame getting huge grosses. 

10 years is a long time, so many people commentating weren't adults when Avatar came out, and don't appreciate what a phenomenon it was. Some of them think Avatar was released in some Gone with the Wind era where people didn't have alternative entertainment options (similar to commentary I see about Titanic). 

Oh just so you know I was talking about Endgame, I think it could easily make under $900m DOM and most likely will make around 800-850.

I'm in complete agreement with everything you said.

I think the average doubters issue is,

1) They don't understand what made Avatar so popular and succeed so well

2) They don't understand that Avatar 2 will be better than Avatar as the ground work has already been done and Jim is the most prepared he has ever been going into a film

This is Jim's mahatten project, blinds are going to be BLOWN

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

I'm convinced now that Cameron fanboys are just that - Cameron fanboys - and that they have the most limited knowledge of box office of us all.

I guess the Cameron box office discussions and arguments completely change if

you consider the all mighty dollar

or

tickets sold

If you consider the latter, I am afraid Cameron wins, every single time, at least with the sinking ship.

Tickets sold in France :

Titanic : 21m (biggest movie ever)

Force Awakens : 10m

Star Wars-Lotr-Potter movies : 5 to 9m

Avengers IW : 5,1m

Endgame : probably 6m+

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1