Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Watching Endgame squeeeeeak by Avatar worldwide is not going to be fun by the way.

Come on, if you're going to break the record, couldn't you break it in a more decisive fashion?

There's literally 10 years of inflation, massive market expansion, several folds more premium theaters available behind you! -_-

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Oh wow, you're taking this into a strange direction...

Let's just stay with the notion that the Chinese government is more concerned with environmental issues, and has strong motivation to promote environmentalism message to its citizens. 

sorry, I'll take the discussion of those prison camps to the appropriate thread. And what does the environmental issues have to do with filmmaking?

I have no problem with movies like Avatar doing huge business in china. I just hope Cameron doesn't start to work WITH the Chinese authorities on his movie like Jimbo suggested

Just now, DAJK said:

isorry, I'll take the discussion of those prison camps to the appropriate thread. And what does the environmental issues have to do with filmmaking?

I have no problem with movies like Avatar doing huge business in china. I just hope Cameron doesn't start to work WITH the Chinese authorities on his movie like Jimbo suggested

Industrial pollution and loss of natural habitats are hurting the health Chinese people and the image of China internationally. The government is well aware of that, and Chinese people are generally very conscious of the severe environmental problems that they are facing. Therefore environmentalism messages resonate  well with Chinese people, I mean, The Mermaid was heavy with its conservation messages and that was the highest grossing film ever in China for while, so was Avatar. I am saying that the Chinese government has an interest to promote films with environmentalism messages and if they work with Jim, it'll be specifically for that reason, and for a general good cause that does no harm. 

Jim doesn't have to agree with everything China does to work with them, people don't always have the luxury of working with people whom they 100% agree with ideologically. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

sorry, I'll take the discussion of those prison camps to the appropriate thread. And what does the environmental issues have to do with filmmaking?

Everything, humans will cease to exist and with it cinema.

Also refusing to help China when they're promoting something righteous because they're also doing something immoral is a dangerous game which I would rather not play. Please Mr China keep promoting enviromentalism.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Why on earth will Pokemon take the leftovers of Memorial Day , when EG 3rd we has been over Pokemon ow?

What makes you think that Pokemon will be above EG in a couple of week ends? 

Pokémon will leg more like a family movie and have better holds than EG.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Watching Endgame squeeeeeak by Avatar worldwide is not going to be fun by the way.

Come on, if you're going to break the record, couldn't you break it in a more decisive fashion?

There's literally 10 years of inflation, massive market expansion, several folds more premium theaters available behind you! -_-

I don't know man, the meltdowns here are pretty fun to me.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

I don't know man, the meltdowns here are pretty fun to me.

I agree, all the meltdowns in this thread that EG might not beat Avatar are pretty fun. 😎

Meanwhile Jim gang reached the "acceptance" stage long ago that Endgame will squeak past Avatar. I mean, a $1.2B opening? The movie might not have legs because it's not that good, but when you start so high, it puts you past Avatar (non-inflation adjusted ofc) even given heavy WoW drops.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

I agree, all the meltdowns in this thread that EG might not beat Avatar are pretty fun. 😎

Meanwhile Jim gang reached the "acceptance" stage long ago that Endgame will squeak past Avatar. I mean, a $1.2B opening? The movie might not have legs because it's not that good, but when you start so high, it puts you past Avatar (non-inflation adjusted ofc) even given heavy WoW drops.

@LaughingEvans

Pure Spirit is right, I'm going use a royale 'we' here but we are well over Endgame beating Avatar.

It would actually be pretty hilarious if it doesn't beat it now... Disney are shady as fuck tho so if they want it #1 it will be #1

• Like 2

With regards to China, a more probable obstacle for Avatar 2 would be the trade war tanking the ER rather than it not passing censorship. Though I suppose if US-China relations gets much worse, the Chinese government could stop allowing Hollywood imported films altogether. 

1 hour ago, NCsoft said:

It's almost as if approaching $3B is really fucking hard to do?  

But, according to you guys, there will be 4 different movies making at least $4b in the next decade, right?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Deep Wang said:

But, according to you guys, there will be 4 different movies making at least $4b in the next decade, right?

Exactly.

It's because it's so hard that's there's only one genius who can do it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

With regards to China, a more probable obstacle for Avatar 2 would be the trade war tanking the ER rather than it not passing censorship. Though I suppose if US-China relations gets much worse, the Chinese government could stop allowing Hollywood imported films altogether. 

I can't see that happening at all...they keep 75% of the box. 

6 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

T2 - $204,843,345/31,765,506 = 6.448x(from the 3 day)

Also a summer film from that very same summer:

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves - $165,493,908/25,625,602 = 6.458x

The difference is Costner was the top star in the world in a huge brand and how many a list actors were helping RH??😎😂 Jc had been working on his t2 and hadn't done a film since 89. Results for the sequel 523mil and biggest film of that year.  Not to mentioned its considered the greatest sequel of all time. Versus a Costner who was the biggest star in the world at the time in all starrer mega movie. And James Cameron still pulled off the upset flawless victory. Koing Robin hood to the number 2 position in 1991.👍

Oh the  original terminator's run was 38m dom and a total of 78 mil ww😁. Thanks for proving my point. Cameron films and especially his mega sequels have a fan base support that is stuff of the ages.

Hmm Sequel that is T2 jumps

Over the original by   670% overall. Avatar2  is just a sequel that looks invincible as long as no weather or global disaster happens of course. May each Avatar movie  keep reaping 3-5 billion up ww

😉

Edited by Sheldon Cr

1 hour ago, Deep Wang said:

Hard, that's true, but it's not like we haven't seen harder things achieved in, you know, 1997 and 2009.

Some predictors are more courageous, I'm currently settling on the more conservative side of Jim fans here, with fairly modest predictions for Avatar 2,3,4,5 : 3.7B, 3.2B, 3.5B, and 4.05B repectively, this is subjected to change of course, I'm thinking of raising these predictions now that A2 has been pushed by a year. :lol: :lol:

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, KP1025 said:

you're describing a crash in RMB right? What if there is a crash in USD due to some sort of financial melt-down, that could happen by the end of 2021, who knows.

45 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

Dictatorial governments are not known for being rational

Actions from Chinese authorities can be irrational and absurd at times, reactions surrounding Huawei CFO's arrest in Canada being an example. Though the Chinese government probably won't try to do anything that might severely damage economy, banning Hollywood films does not benefit them whatsoever. China has been trying to boost local local film market and lack of Hollywood will lead to a significant year to year crash which they probably want to avoid.

49 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Hard, that's true, but it's not like we haven't seen harder things achieved in, you know, 1997 and 2009.

Some predictors are more courageous, I'm currently settling on the more conservative side of Jim fans here, with fairly modest predictions for Avatar 2,3,4,5 : 3.7B, 3.2B, 3.5B, and 4.05B repectively, this is subjected to change of course, I'm thinking of raising these predictions now that A2 has been pushed by a year. :lol: :lol:

Well put NC. JC fans will stand together and these Fbs will get what they came for..

To reap the worldwind and force of James Camerons gun loaded with Pandorian fury to do again and again what the jealous state is impossible.

As history does repeat thanks to our Alpha Omega behind all the wonder and madness.

James makes em and we will come lol😎😁

• Like 1