Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

29 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Of course I didn't forget, but you guys were predicting it like it was.

We both know there's a difference between a JC directed movie and one he has a large input on. It's at least accepted he contributed to its gross. Although, we were definitely over predicting I'm not arguing that. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

We both know there's a difference between a JC directed movie and one he has a large input on. It's at least accepted he contributed to its gross. Although, we were definitely over predicting I'm not arguing that. 

Okay, I got the formula. Alita was not made by JC and was predicted to earn 1 billie, A2 is made by JC and is predicted to earn 4 billies. Alita really earned 400 millies, hence A2 will earn 1.6 billies. I cracked the code, guys :Venom:

16 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

We both know there's a difference between a JC directed movie and one he has a large input on. 

Yes, I heavily argued that point ad nauseam in the Alita thread, but was frequently told that it didn't matter.  I'm sure we will get more of the same as Terminator approaches.

13 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Yes, I heavily argued that point ad nauseam in the Alita thread, but was frequently told that it didn't matter.  I'm sure we will get more of the same as Terminator approaches.

Hmm, i don't think anyone disagreed with you about that. Of course it matters. The point of contention might have been how much it would do without Cameron directing. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

It wasn't I who was arguing that! I'll probably end up over predicting T:DF too, but will remain mindful it isn't directed by Jim. 

1 hour ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

It wasn't I who was arguing that! I'll probably end up over predicting T:DF too, but will remain mindful it isn't directed by Jim. 

I know, lol.  I'll be there to try and help keep your expectations in check 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I know, lol.  I'll be there to try and help keep your expectations in check 😉

It's the only way any of us can keep our wild sides in check, or we'd all end up in delusional echo chambers - I certainly don't want that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

Of course people predicted Titanic to flop!  This was 1997 and the movie cost $200m not to mention there were delays and problems with the shoot.  If someone made a movie in 2019 that wasn't part of an existing franchise, and spent $300m making it, you bet your ass everyone would assume it's going to flop.  You can't just predict a movie to all of a sudden make $600m and $1b overseas back then, hell you can't really do that in 2019 either can you?  Did all of you Cameron Stans forget what your predictions were for Alita?

And nobody thinks that Avatar 2 is going to have a hard time at the box office either, so this whole pity-party for Cameron is beyond ridiculous.  The lowest prediction I've seen is $1.8B, which would make it the 6th highest grossing movie all-time.

Uhm please tell me where I said Avatar 2 will arrive as an underdog? Maybe read the entire thread chain before popping in. Jim has been an underdog and that’s how I took sheldon’s post, maybe I misread it, he has an interesting way of posting 🙃

PS Alita did absolutely stellar considering original projections, the type of movie it was, etc etc. go read the Alita thread where someone enumerates the 6 box office poisons Alita consumed before release. Remember it made its entire projected Dom TOTAL in its opening weekend. It’ll probably break even when all is said and done. 

Underneath all the Billie talk all us Jim Gang expected was a good movie that would outperform projections, and we got a fucking fantastic movie with the most passionate fans of any new IP of the past year. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Uhm please tell me where I said Avatar 2 will arrive as an underdog? Maybe read the entire thread chain before popping in. Jim has been an underdog and that’s how I took sheldon’s post, maybe I misread it, he has an interesting way of posting 🙃

Jim as an underdog came from this post: 

On 5/12/2019 at 5:01 PM, NCsoft said:

I have mixed feelings about this, on one hand, I would genuinely feel sorry for MCU fans that after all the conviction regarding Avatar is toast (dead in a ditch), and the 3B train, the social media drama and the smearing of Jim, that it doesn't end up passing Avatar! leaving the 2010's the only recent decade without a new worldwide crown. 

On the other hand, I really want Avatar 2 to use the angle of "Sequel to the highest grossing film of all time" for promotion, and honestly I think Disney knows that is more important for Avatar 2 than MCU, which basically promotes itself at this point. Of course Jim is known to subvert expectations, and Avatar 2 will do well regardless, but I just thought it would be nice, for once, for Jim to not be in a complete underdog position. 

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

PS Alita did absolutely stellar considering original projections, the type of movie it was, etc etc. go read the Alita thread where someone enumerates the 6 box office poisons Alita consumed before release. Remember it made its entire projected Dom TOTAL in its opening weekend. It’ll probably break even when all is said and done. 

Underneath all the Billie talk all us Jim Gang expected was a good movie that would outperform projections, and we got a fucking fantastic movie with the most passionate fans of any new IP of the past year. 

Alita did mediocre being generous and maybe broke even at best. 

Edited by cdsacken
  • ...wtf 1

21 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Jim as an underdog came from this post: 

Oh, I missed that post. Sorry for arguing then. You're correct that for Avatar 2, Jim is in no way an underdog, no matter how much EG makes he's still considered the box office champion and Avatar is a sequel arriving in an era where sequels to popular movies tend to do very well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Deep Wang said:

Alita did well relative of pre-release expectations and you can't deny that.

Pre release was it expected to lose $100 million? Cost was $175 million. I had not not looked at predictions prior to its release and was not on the board at the time. It did bad in the US but China helped to mitigate the damage considerably. Mediocre in general but I guess if expectations were worse then I would agree.

I say mediocre in the context that Dumbo is a failure. Same cost and did 60m more WW so not near as bad.

Edited by cdsacken