Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

3 hours ago, ImNotExcited said:

Screen caps from the trailer leaked

I understand that more than likely it's only 4 phone screenshots taken by a theatre owner who previewed the teaser so quality is nowhere near 100%, apparently they already have access to it. 

Spoiler

Shot#1 - female Na'vi, it's not Neytiri as this one has blue eyes I'm guessing this is Varang (Oona Chaplin). 

Shot#2 - pretty sure it's Jake on his Ikran

Shot#3 - water shot - Na'vi are all riding (sea Ikrans??) I don't recognize any of the characters, one of the females is pregnant, probably the Metkayina tribe that will take in Jake/Neytiri family and the rest of the surviving Omaticaya clan.  

Shot#4 - generic underwater shot - not much revealed except for the shadow of a creature and Na'vi 

Impressions: kind of disappointed by the look if I'm being honest, the shot of Jake is no more detailed or realistic than the first movie, the clarity/lighting is clearly different though. 

Can't wait to see a LOT more, debating to see the trailer next week as I'm not keen on Doctor Strange. 

Very beautiful, the CGI is excellent even in leaked images and best than 95% of the things Hollywood released today.

But indeed it's the usual scenarios we already saw in the first one. If the whole trailer is more in this direction than Cameron is clearly holding the really wow visuals.

But anyway, looks great.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Reminder that anyone who said the trailer didn't look that different from the CGI of the original needs glasses or hasn't seen the original. 

Well, there's a bunch of stuff that looked absolutely real in Avatar. You can't get better than real.

But on the whole, yeah, it should look better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elessar said:

Well, there's a bunch of stuff that looked absolutely real in Avatar. You can't get better than real.

But on the whole, yeah, it should look better.

That’s something I’m curious about also. At some point, the human eye/mind can no longer differentiate when the CGI is good enough so any improvement is merely technical and not noticeable. I wonder how much of A2 can improve on A1 since a lot of that was indiscernible.

• Like 1

Yeah, Avatar 1 effects is still great, just some scenes is starting to look too much artificial 

I think the stills of 2 didn't look more realistic, just way more natural (including the lightning which is sickening, especially the one in water).

The na'vi while it stills looks like mostly CGI on the 1st (even if a great CGI) in these images looks more like makeup, because the textures really looks like a person. 

I think the overall vibe of the movie will be this, realistic like the 1st movie but now way way more natural to look at it. The wow factor i bet will come from the designs, i just can't wait to see what a underwater world coming from Cameron will look like.

44 minutes ago, MultiverseXXR said:

That’s something I’m curious about also. At some point, the human eye/mind can no longer differentiate when the CGI is good enough so any improvement is merely technical and not noticeable. I wonder how much of A2 can improve on A1 since a lot of that was indiscernible.

Avatar was also the sort of film where if you isolate certain clips and show it to someone,  they're like 'yeah this is absolutely CGI'. But when you sit down to watch the film as a whole, the more unfinished scenes and the world just blend together in way you don't notice. 

I think the average viewer also just does not care about these things, I mean everyone's pretty content with very janky compositing and CGI that crops up in Marvel movies to the point where they keep getting nominated for Oscars as well. 

The last hurdle for the film for me personally is the mix of live actions elements with the CGI. The first film very smartly avoided doing that often but I'd like to see them constantly putting themselves up against real footage just to prove they can pull it off. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AniNate said:

D23 this year is gonna be the content dump, I predict

Without a doubt. Final push for Avatar, Strange World, and BPWF but also first looks at Antman3, GOTG3, Marvels, Little Mermaid and whatever animated movies are coming in the first half.

45 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah, Avatar 1 effects is still great, just some scenes is starting to look too much artificial 

I think the stills of 2 didn't look more realistic, just way more natural (including the lightning which is sickening, especially the one in water).

The na'vi while it stills looks like mostly CGI on the 1st (even if a great CGI) in these images looks more like makeup, because the textures really looks like a person. 

I think the overall vibe of the movie will be this, realistic like the 1st movie but now way way more natural to look at it. The wow factor i bet will come from the designs, i just can't wait to see what a underwater world coming from Cameron will look like.

My take on avatar 1 is the landscape shot are great and too-notch but the navi and creatures still look pretty CGI, (with the exception of few scenes) . The na’vi crowd look too CGI which disappoint me a little although they are in the backgrounds.

but Based on the screenshot provided, it seem like they improve the living creatures CGI quite a bit from the last one. 

• Like 2

I think the people who liked Avatar decided to show up and stop this narrative that nobody cares about it 

Reception of the leaked images are mostly excellent on social media.

The Cinemacon day also generated a lot of buzz. The Avatar page only posted the title the next day and still got 80k likes even if everyone talked about the day prior.

Those screencaps are ****ing epic. I´m again in love with pandora 😍 Cant wait to travel there again in nearly 7 month 😁 And the reactions for the teaser on yt and social media speak for themself.

Edited by dignam

What's the best picture from the 1st one to do a side-by-side comparison with?

Edited by interiorgatordecorator