Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Although I know the "most viewed trailer within 24 hours" reported by studio is a very flawed metric to gauge interest, I still want to see what that number would be for Avatar 2.

But with the teaser being leaked almost two weeks before online release, that view count is probably going to be dampened a bit, most who are curious would have seen it one way or another.

25 minutes ago, hw64 said:

You cannot discuss the trailer or any leaked material in any capacity whatsoever.

But directing people where to find the leaked material in the thread's title is... le fine!

Thanks mods, great job.

I just noticed this but yeah, that's pretty BS

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, hw64 said:

You cannot discuss the trailer or any leaked material in any capacity whatsoever.

But directing people where to find the leaked material in the thread's title is... le fine!

Thanks mods, great job.

Fixed it. Not sure why it was there (hint hint), but whatever.

Also can we not with the “cultural impact” stuff again? You know you can just ignore all that stuff, and we don’t need to see this for eight months straight

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Eric is a furry said:

Fixed it.

Cheers.

40 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Although I know the "most viewed trailer within 24 hours" reported by studio is a very flawed metric to gauge interest, I still want to see what that number would be for Avatar 2.

But with the teaser being leaked almost two weeks before online release, that view count is probably going to be dampened a bit, most who are curious would have seen it one way or another.

I assume the online trailer release might get moved up to possibly this coming week, so that it's simultaneous with the theatrical release. With the leaks — and particularly with the quality of the leaks — I doubt they'll stick to the original plan of releasing it online a week after its theatrical release.

Edited by hw64
  • Like 1

Idk I feel like it's not a good look to let the pirates change your plans. If they want to watch an illegal recording that's their decision but Disney still controls the "official" marketing campaign. 

I personally am gonna wait until the legal release, and you all should have too (or at least not have been so public about watching the leak)

Edited by AniNate

3 hours ago, Eric is a furry said:

Also can we not with the “cultural impact” stuff again? You know you can just ignore all that stuff, and we don’t need to see this for eight months straight

Why is this only coming up now? The actual avatar fans have had to put up with that for the last 10 years and only now are you shutting it down? Avatar CHUDs eating well. Avatar haters SEETHING. 

Yeah the ironic "Avatar is forgotten" meme is so tiresome

Titanic - based on a real life iconic event that is commemorated yearly on April 15

Jurassic Park - based on a popular novel, direct sequel released 4 years later, another sequel released 4 years after that

Star Wars - direct sequel released 3 years later, another sequel released 3 years after that

Marvel movies - based on popular comic books, sequels, spin offs, etc. released every year

Avatar - based on nothing, sequel is yet to be released 13 years later

It should be compared to other original sci-fi films with no sequels like Inception, Gravity, etc. whose main characters are usually referred to as "Leonardo DiCaprio's character" or "Sandra Bullock's character" by most people.

Even the "dream within a dream" meme from Inception is not really mentioned anymore.

Yet Inception and Gravity never get called "forgotten" or "no cultural impact".

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Royce said:

Titanic - based on a real life iconic event that is commemorated yearly on April 15

Jurassic Park - based on a popular novel, direct sequel released 4 years later, another sequel released 4 years after that

Star Wars - direct sequel released 3 years later, another sequel released 3 years after that

Marvel movies - based on popular comic books, sequels, spin offs, etc. released every year

It should be compared to other original sci-fi films with no sequels like Inception, Gravity, etc. whose main characters are usually referred to as "Leonardo DiCaprio's character" or "Sandra Bullock's character" by most people.

Even the "dream within a dream" meme from Inception is not really mentioned anymore.

The reason why I used star wars and Jurassic park as examples as they are sci-fi films that relied heavily on advances in film tech and had been previous holders of the number one film at the worldwide box office.

6 hours ago, NCsoft said:

Don't think leak one will make much impact, but having shown with Dr Strange will deflate it a bit.

Regardless, expect views to be very strong. India being Youtube powerhouse, views will be very big.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gonna try to steer clear of the pointless "cultural relevance" debate and just talk about other nuances I think helped the original succeed. For one, that final battle is an all-timer. Cameron remains excellent at staging action/battle scenes and I imagine the same will hold true for the future movies.

Abridged and awkwardly edited to avoid copyrights but I think the point is made:

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Gonna try to steer clear of the pointless "cultural relevance" debate and just talk about other nuances I think helped the original succeed. For one, that final battle is an all-timer. Cameron remains excellent at staging action/battle scenes and I imagine the same will hold true for the future movies.

Abridged and awkwardly edited to avoid copyrights but I think the point is made:

Yeah, Avatar 3rd act is a masterpiece in directing / editing, is insanely good and remains one of the best climaxes of an action blockbuster since it's released. 

I think only Fury Road, The Last Jedi and MI Fallout is up there with Avatar. 

I would include IW / EG but honestly, it have way more with the characters and the emotional payoff than a masterful achievement in technique from Russos.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Royce said:

Titanic also wonbig at the Oscars, back when that meant more then it does now. It won the biggie, the BP award,,

Avatar did well in the technical awards, but did not win any of the big four.

3 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah, Avatar 3rd act is a masterpiece in directing / editing, is insanely good and remains one of the best climaxes of an action blockbuster since it's released. 

I think only Fury Road, The Last Jedi and MI Fallout is up there with Avatar. 

I would include IW / EG but honestly, it have way more with the characters and the emotional payoff than a masterful achievement in technique from Russos.

The Final battle is the best thing about the film.

I had a lot of prolems with the first two hours, though.

• Like 1

The "What made Avatar a success" power rankings in my eyes.

1. Sense of Wonder - Pandora (Larger than life vistas/Creatures and plants/bioluminescence), Jake's first flight
  2. Relationships - Jake/Neytiri
  3. Action - Thanator chase / Hometree / End Battle

Avatar has sense of wonder by the truckloads and the action is some of the best of the 2000s and I'm sure The Way of Water is going to deliver on those two pillars no question. Relationships on the other hand is where A2 can see the most immediate growth over the first film. Most of A1's cast are one note shell people there to advance the story, but Cameron succeeded where he had to with Jake and Neytiri. Jake and Quaritch works but there's plenty room to make that adversarial relationship stronger in A2. Cameron is well aware of the shortcomings of the first movie and I think taking on 7 child actors is a response to the criticism/personal challenge. Developing satisfying character arcs for those 7 from varying ages from as young as 9 in A2 to grown adults by the time we reach A5 is going to be central to the narrative success of these sequels.

• Like 3

One thing that will help Avatar 2, is that no blockbuster has had the sheer of visual scale or beauty that the original Avatar did or has had the even half as good cgi or visual effects.

16 hours ago, NCsoft said:

the trailer won't beat any 24 hours record. Leak or not, release with Doctor Strange or not. I'm not saying the movie can't be a huge success when it's coming on theaters on Christmans but right now just there isn't that kind of fever. 

31 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

the trailer won't beat any 24 hours record. Leak or not, release with Doctor Strange or not. I'm not saying the movie can't be a huge success when it's coming on theaters on Christmans but right now just there isn't that kind of fever. 

There doesn't need to be any fanboy-driven fever, just general curiosity driven by the success and impact of Avatar, the past work of James Cameron, and the production schedule of Avatar 2 — how long it's taken to develop, and all the delays. Avatar 2 has become a minor myth at this point, and a lot of people who aren't necessarily convinced that they want to watch Avatar 2 in December will be tuning in to see what the teaser has to offer. That, and as Charlie mentions, Avatar and James Cameron are powerhouses in the most populous countries in the world, India and China, both of which will help to massively propel trailer views.

Not saying it's necessarily going to break any records, but the trailer views will definitely be very good.

Edited by hw64