Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

14 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

How does it compare to L&T on a site-by-site basis?

On 4/19/2022 at 1:01 PM, charlie Jatinder said:

22 hours

You Tube - 44M (20M main channel)
Twitter - 30M (26M main)
Instagram - 40M+
Facebook - 30M+

Total - 145M+

24 hours including all will be close to 200M.

The 24 hour numbers for L&T wouldn't have been much different as Marvel trailers are frontloaded. So pretty close on YouTube — around 75-80% of L&T — and slightly lower on Twitter (main channel only), at around 60-65%.

Haven't been tracking the others, but Avatar's Facebook numbers should compare similarly to the above, although Instagram numbers will likely be significantly lower.

I wouldn't place much, if any significance on trailer views for a movie like Avatar 2, but insofar as they do hold weight, these are good signs, especially given the week-old high-quality online leaks and the theatrical debut. Marvel trailers aren't a good comparison for this anyway, so the fact that it's doing relatively comparable numbers is, again, a good sign.

Edited by hw64

14 hours ago, filmlover said:

I always find the "Avatar 1 has become completely forgotten" arguments to be silly when it has inspired a whole theme park section in Disney World that's been open for 5 years (and opened before there were even whispers that Disney would inherit the movie as part of the Fox acquisition) and is visited by millions of people annually in addition to generating plenty of revenue for both Disney and Cameron (like the Harry Potter attraction at Universal, it's a joint venture between the studio behind the movie and the parks). That level of exposure = more people discovering the movie all the time. Forgotten movies don't achieve that.

I will say it hasn’t been as shown up on cable as much as it might have over the years.

Clearly Stuart Heritage of The Guardian is not a fan. Of course no one cares about Avatar yet this article has over 540 responses to it and a lot of vitriol. I think someone needs to explain the concept of teaser versus actual trailer to him. 

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/may/10/avatar-2-trailer-avatar-the-way-of-water-james-cameron-sequel

1799.jpg?width=620&quality=45&auto=forma

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DAR said:

I will say it hasn’t been as shown up on cable as much as it might have over the years.

On purpose in order to avoid over exposure, I don't think this is unique to Avatar. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

Clearly Stuart Heritage of The Guardian is not a fan. Of course no one cares about Avatar yet this article has over 540 responses to it and a lot of vitriol. I think someone needs to explain the concept of teaser versus actual trailer to him. 

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/may/10/avatar-2-trailer-avatar-the-way-of-water-james-cameron-sequel

1799.jpg?width=620&quality=45&auto=forma

"It's a movie made to watch in a big screen etc, but i watch at a laptop and didn't like, and 9 more million people watched the same way" 

Yeah and majority liked what they saw.

A Vice article came out as well saying the CGI is dated and that nobody cares about it because she "heard people was laughing watching at theater", i mean you're seriously saying people dislike the trailer because allegedly some people laugh in some screening? 

At this point i just find funny that we know it did great views everywhere and reception is also great but still there are journalists trying to spin as something irrelevant.

6 minutes ago, Eric loves Rey said:

You guys do know you can just ignore those articles, right? It's not like those evil journalists are going to make the movie suddenly bomb now.

But why ignore? I mean they write it, if it wasn't for people talk about it than what's the point of publishing? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

"It's a movie made to watch in a big screen etc, but i watch at a laptop and didn't like, and 9 more million people watched the same way" 

Yeah and majority liked what they saw.

A Vice article came out as well saying the CGI is dated and that nobody cares about it because she "heard people was laughing watching at theater", i mean you're seriously saying people dislike the trailer because allegedly some people laugh in some screening? 

At this point i just find funny that we know it did great views everywhere and reception is also great but still there are journalists trying to spin as something irrelevant.

I'm more surprised that a left leaning, pro-environment news site like The Guardian actually posted this article. Avatar is about as pro-environment as it gets. 

9 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

But why ignore? I mean they write it, if it wasn't for people talk about it than what's the point of publishing? 

Because it's just gotten tiring. It feels like this is the fifth time where somebody comes up here, share some random article and tweet dissing the movie/franchise, and we all act smug about how they have the problem for not thinking a silly kids movie about blue aliens is good or discussed anymore. It frankly reeks of insecurity. You're defending the biggest movie in the world that is intensely beloved, has an entire section at Disney World people love going to, and will have numerous sequels destined to make billions of dollars. You have everything you ever wanted, but somehow mild critique has gone too far?

If anything, these articles get made because people here love giving them attention. You give them outrage clicks that keeps them in the conversation, when just ignoring them makes these articles magically go away. The only way to get rid of clickbait is to stop clicking on clickbait. So just do that, instead of this smug "lol look at these haters UwU"

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Eric loves Rey said:

Because it's just gotten tiring. It feels like this is the fifth time where somebody comes up here, share some random article and tweet dissing the movie/franchise, and we all act smug about how they have the problem for not thinking a silly kids movie about blue aliens is good or discussed anymore. It frankly reeks of insecurity. You're defending the biggest movie in the world that is intensely beloved, has an entire section at Disney World people love going to, and will have numerous sequels destined to make billions of dollars. You have everything you ever wanted, but somehow mild critique has gone too far?

If anything, these articles get made because people here love giving them attention. You give them outrage clicks that keeps them in the conversation, when just ignoring them makes these articles magically go away. The only way to get rid of clickbait is to stop clicking on clickbait. So just do that, instead of this smug "lol look at these haters UwU"

Dude you're way more mad than us. 

We're just talking, nobody did or said anything offensive, or have a meltdown, or attack anyone, nothing beyond some talking.

We read these same arguments for years, and tbh is more than normal for us to disagreed and talk about it now that we have evidences that everything was just overreactions.

It's a thread about the movie, we're talking about the movie, the reception and articles surrounding it, there's literally nothing wrong or off-topic. 

Obviously you and anyone can think it's tiring, i actually agreed it's tiring when it happens everyday (that's why i rarely talk about these articles and stuff beyond the hype moments), but honestly i don't think it's the case here.

The discussion is happening only because the trailer just dropped, like i said it's a hype moment, everyone is talking about it and we can disagreed and talk about of some things we read. 

Like i said i think it's totally fine if some think it's tiring and unnecessary, i won't say anything more, but i think you're position ended up being just unfair and somewhat unnecesserarily aggressive, because nobody is doing anything wrong.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Eric loves Rey said:

We chillin, we talking about what we find interesting. If that happens to be an article from a major news publication in the UK then so be it. Also its not a kids movie are you trying to get under our skin...

I'm not insecure about Avatar at all for the record, it's gonna make an easy 4 billie no matter how many dimissive articles get released.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I've bought 4 copies of Avatar over the years, saw it 11 times in cinemas on original release and at no point have I ever said its a bad movie. You and your cronies are what put me off, not the movie. 

Liking Avatar is fine. It this James Cameron is God and Can Do No Wrong and Is Above All Criticism and Will Save The World and AnyBody Who Disagrees Is A Evil Heritic that gets to me.

And, as for the message of Avatar, I though that it would have been more effective if Cameron did not hit you over the head with it. The best kind of sermon is where you are not aware it is a sermon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

I'm more surprised that a left leaning, pro-environment news site like The Guardian actually posted this article. Avatar is about as pro-environment as it gets. 

Which does not mean it's a good movie or above criticism.

If anything, I think the movie hits you over the head with it's message so often, it might backfire.

It's possible to agree with a film's message, but still think it's not a very good film.

Edited by dudalb