Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

17 minutes ago, Maggie said:

This i agree with. 800M is the floor.

11 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

What's the ceiling then?

I'll take 50% of Avatar admissions as the floor and equal admissions as the ceiling. Based on current ticket prices (assuming much higher than typical 3D/2D split but less than A1), that translate to $500M - $1B. 

Personally I'm going with about 65-70% of A1 admissions. 

• Like 5
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Babylon XXR said:

I'll take 50% of Avatar admissions as the floor and equal admissions as the ceiling. Based on current ticket prices (assuming much higher than typical 3D/2D split but less than A1), that translate to $500M - $1B. 

Personally I'm going with about 65-70% of A1 admissions. 

Huh, we're in exact agreement on floor and ceiling. 

7 hours ago, Babylon XXR said:

@charlie Jatinder Do we have an approximation of the 3D/2D split for Avatar? I'm curious how many people actually saw it in 3D vs 2D.

FTR, I will not be seeing A2 in 3D unless they figure out glasses-less tech in the next 90 days 🤣

Nearly 81 percent of Avatar's gross is from 3D presentations. Normal 3D accounts for over 64 percent of the gross, while IMAX 3D accounts for more than 16 percent. That leaves the 2D theaters with an over 19 percent share of the gross.

This was at $600M. I expect it to be around 85% for final.

I also think Avatar 2 will be well over 50%, probably 70% or so boosted heavily by IMAX 3D and other PLF 3Ds.

$15 ATP for Avatar 2 won't surprise me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

This was at $600M. I expect it to be around 85% for final.

I also think Avatar 2 will be well over 50%, probably 70% or so boosted heavily by IMAX 3D and other PLF 3Ds.

$15 ATP for Avatar 2 won't surprise me.

It wouldn't surprise me either. From there, it would "only" need about 50M admissions (-30%) to surpass the first run of the original.

Edited by Babylon XXR

1 hour ago, stephanos13 said:

This movie has to be a monumental failure for it not be a box office juggernaut.

For example my sister and my mother that they go to the cinema maybe once a year at most, they said they are going for sure to watch the new Avatar.

and the chances of that are less than zero for me.

For others, you just have to look at Jim's track history as well as reactions to the 13 minutes of footage. Also watch the teaser trailer.

1 minute ago, Babylon XXR said:

This is in reference to Avatar and not A2 but as the de facto Avatar thread....

It is crazy to me that after Titanic and selling the domestic rights to Paramount, they didn't learn their mistake and almost let Cameron shop Avatar to another studio (Disney was the forerunner funnily enough if I remember correctly) only for those 2 films to be the highest grossing films of their time. 

Luckily and it seems like everyone is just staying out of the way and letting Cameron do what he wants here in NZ for the sequels. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Babylon XXR said:

This is in reference to Avatar and not A2 but as the de facto Avatar thread....

“Avatar” had a prominent message about taking care of the environment and the resources it has provided. In the years since its release, do you feel like that message has been heeded?

I’m not going to feel guilty because my movie didn’t save the world. I certainly wasn’t the only voice back then, and I’m certainly not the only voice now, telling people that they have to change. But people don’t want to change. We love to burn energy. We love to eat our meat and dairy. Asking people to fundamentally change their behavior patterns, it’s like asking them to change their religion. We’re seeing this ongoing series of greater and greater manifestations of the consequences, like with these heat waves in China and North America and Europe, the flooding in Pakistan, which is horrific. And eventually we will change or we’ll die out. “Avatar” is not trying to tell you what to do specifically. It’s not telling you, Go vote for so-and-so, buy a Prius, put down the cheeseburger. It’s just reminding us of what we’re losing. And it puts us back in touch with that childlike state of wonder about the natural world. As long as that beauty still resonates within us, there’s hope.

Think theres no reason to keep up the concern-trolling about avatar being too political for contemporary audiences after that