Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

So, as I mentioned before, I went last night to a 3D showing of Avatar. This was my fourth watch overall, and third watch on theatres, since I watched it once on its first run (in 2D cause there weren't 3D thetares on my city at the time), and once when it rereleased on  September 2010 (in 3D).
I have a soft spot for Avatar on my heart since it was one of 3 movies that I saw when I was 9 that changed the way I experienced movies and made me wanna know about filmmaking (the other ones are Up and How To Train To Dragon).
James Cameron definetly knows how to make movies. The pacing is so good that I didn't feel this was 2hs 40mins long and instead  I thought it was like 30 mins shorter.
I'm still amazed at the world building of Pandora. There's some CGI on the cretaures that feels a bit outdated, but other than that, the visuals still holds up and there are even better than the ones from modern blockbusters.
This is also my mom's favorite movie and she had no idea it was being rereleased this week, so I took her to the movies without telling her what we were going to watch (I just mentioned we were going to watch a movie she already watch and nothing else).
3 minutes into the movie she whispered with excitement "OH WE ARE WATCHING AVATAR" and she spent all the movie gasping and reacting to the movie as if she was watching it for the first time ever .

On the other hand, I know I might dissapoint @IronJimbo with what I'm gonna say now, but I didn't have a good experience with the 3D last night and when Way Of Water releases, I'm gonna watch it in 2D, at least on my first watch.

11 hours ago, Grebacio said:

So, as I mentioned before, I went last night to a 3D showing of Avatar. This was my fourth watch overall, and third watch on theatres, since I watched it once on its first run (in 2D cause there weren't 3D thetares on my city at the time), and once when it rereleased on  September 2010 (in 3D).
I have a soft spot for Avatar on my heart since it was one of 3 movies that I saw when I was 9 that changed the way I experienced movies and made me wanna know about filmmaking (the other ones are Up and How To Train To Dragon).
James Cameron definetly knows how to make movies. The pacing is so good that I didn't feel this was 2hs 40mins long and instead  I thought it was like 30 mins shorter.
I'm still amazed at the world building of Pandora. There's some CGI on the cretaures that feels a bit outdated, but other than that, the visuals still holds up and there are even better than the ones from modern blockbusters.
This is also my mom's favorite movie and she had no idea it was being rereleased this week, so I took her to the movies without telling her what we were going to watch (I just mentioned we were going to watch a movie she already watch and nothing else).
3 minutes into the movie she whispered with excitement "OH WE ARE WATCHING AVATAR" and she spent all the movie gasping and reacting to the movie as if she was watching it for the first time ever .

On the other hand, I know I might dissapoint @IronJimbo with what I'm gonna say now, but I didn't have a good experience with the 3D last night and when Way Of Water releases, I'm gonna watch it in 2D, at least on my first watch.

Same . I watched the movie yesterday in 3D and I was also disappointed. 

12 hours ago, Grebacio said:

Oh, and I got the "whale" scene after credits. It was fine.
I think that after watching the teaser and that scene, I won't be watching any footage for Way of Water. I already know I'll be watching it on opening weekend.

Is the whale clip only attached to regular 3D?

from Variety:

https://variety.com/vip/2022s-last-hopes-box-office-projections-for-avatar-2-black-adam-black-panther-2-1235388447/

Predictive data provided exclusively to Variety Intelligence Platform from content analytics firm Cinelytic assesses four films that should earn big at the box office between now and the end of December. James Cameron’s “Avatar: The Way of Water” sequel is expected to make the biggest splash, followed by Disney’s sequel to “Black Panther,” Warner Bros.’ DC film “Black Adam” starring Dwayne Johnson and Universal’s new “Halloween” sequel.

Cinelytic predicts Disney’s follow-up to 20th Century’s 2009 theatrical all-timer will rake in around $650 million at the box office before pulling in around the same amount from VOD and physical sales combined with streaming and TV payouts in the years to come.

This is notably below the $772 million cumulative gross the first “Avatar” earned in the U.S. and Canada, but it will have been 13 years since that film’s triumphant run when “The Way of Water” releases in December.

The projected haul would also put “The Way of Water” below the film currently sitting at No. 1 for 2022: “Top Gun: Maverick” has since grossed more than $700 million domestically and nearly $1.5 billion worldwide since its release, a true achievement given the more than three decades separating it from its 1986 originator.

Still, that may have more to do with the allure of one of the last remaining examples of true star power in one Tom Cruise. Less reliant on singular big-name actors, the return of “Avatar’s” 3D visuals may no longer have the same pull now that the film market sees VFX-heavy superhero tentpoles every year.

The respective $328 million and $423 million Cinelytic predicts for “Black Adam” and “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” are otherwise consistent with the running tally for brand siblings “The Batman” and “Doctor Strange 2” in 2022.

Dwayne Johnson is certainly a get for Warners, especially at a time when the studio absolutely needs its films to turn a profit within the newly christened Warner Bros. Discovery regime, but “Black Adam” is an untested property in DC Entertainment’s film output and doesn’t have the status of “The Batman’s” titular hero, making it unlikely to outgross the March release.

Meanwhile, “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” has the untimely death of star Chadwick Boseman and his subsequent absence working against it, making its projected $424 million domestic haul well below what its 2018 predecessor pulled in, even if it would still outgross the “Doctor Strange” sequel from May. 

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

They are definitely underestimating Avatar2. I say it does at least 800M

I don't know anything about this firm but I would certainly be interested to know how accurate some of their prior predictions were, are they generally in the ballpark + or minus 10-15% or are they known to completely miss the mark. What did they predict for Top Gun Maverick? as an example.