Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

25 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I think the current lack of a full trailer wouldn’t feel so jarring if we didn’t get the teaser nearly six months ago.

The Oppenheimer trailer came out nearly a year prior to release, likewise with the new Mission Impossible. 6 months really isn’t THAT out of the ordinary for a teaser. Before Covid we’d be getting teasers for late summer releases with the Super Bowl in early February.

Wasn't the first Force Awakens teaser in May of 2015?

Edited by SnokesLegs

6 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

November 2014, actually. I remember people being surprised it arrived that early, but I guess Disney wanted to get the jump on announcing the return of Star Wars.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

The Oppenheimer trailer came out nearly a year prior to release, likewise with the new Mission Impossible. 6 months really isn’t THAT out of the ordinary for a teaser. Before Covid we’d be getting teasers for late summer releases with the Super Bowl in early February.

The first TFA teaser was released in November 2014, followed by another teaser in April 2015. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The first TFA teaser was released in November 2014, followed by another teaser in April 2015. 

38 minutes ago, cookie said:

November 2014, actually. I remember people being surprised it arrived that early, but I guess Disney wanted to get the jump on announcing the return of Star Wars.

There we go then, 13 months before followed by another teaser six months later. Disney have form for this. 

I know the fans are impatiently wanting to see more (hell, I’m one of them!) but the fact is that they won’t want to blow their marketing dollars too early. The fans are already well aware it’s coming, Mid-November is the sweet spot for making sure everyone else is aware of it, any sooner and general audiences are likely to forget.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eridani said:

Another big issue is that the teaser was aimed at avatar fans, and not the rest of the audience. It would have been better if teaser was trying to sell the movie to the folks that haven't ever seen avatar in theaters.

well it is a teaser, not an explainer

13 hours ago, eridani said:

Another big issue is that the teaser was aimed at avatar fans, and not the rest of the audience. It would have been better if teaser was trying to sell the movie to the folks that haven't ever seen avatar in theaters.

They literally did re-release it in theatres and gave it a big ad push. If there’s no hype it’s not because of lack of trying. 

New interview posted on the New York Times today. A few tidbits, the movie has been screened to test audiences already, 

If you need to bypass the paywall try the "reader" function if you have it. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/25/movies/avatar-way-of-the-water-james-cameron.html

So is this a more fun James Cameron?

SAM WORTHINGTON Yeah, absolutely.

CAMERON Don’t all speak at once.

The first “Avatar” was a major breakthrough when it came to 3-D. What do you make of what happened to the format in the years after that?

CAMERON I think the studios blew it. Just to save 20 percent of the authoring cost of the 3-D, they went with 3-D post-conversion, which takes it out of the hands of the filmmaker on the set and puts it into some postproduction process that yielded a poor result. I do think that the new “Avatar” film will rekindle an interest in natively authored 3-D, which is what I personally believe is the right way to do it. I say either do 3-D or don’t do 3-D, but don’t try to slap it on afterward to get the up-charge on the ticket.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

New interview posted on the New York Times today. A few tidbits, the movie has been screened to test audiences already, 

If you need to bypass the paywall try the "reader" function if you have it. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/25/movies/avatar-way-of-the-water-james-cameron.html

So is this a more fun James Cameron?

SAM WORTHINGTON Yeah, absolutely.

CAMERON Don’t all speak at once.

The first “Avatar” was a major breakthrough when it came to 3-D. What do you make of what happened to the format in the years after that?

CAMERON I think the studios blew it. Just to save 20 percent of the authoring cost of the 3-D, they went with 3-D post-conversion, which takes it out of the hands of the filmmaker on the set and puts it into some postproduction process that yielded a poor result. I do think that the new “Avatar” film will rekindle an interest in natively authored 3-D, which is what I personally believe is the right way to do it. I say either do 3-D or don’t do 3-D, but don’t try to slap it on afterward to get the up-charge on the ticket.

I love Jim just constantly affirming everything we've said in this thread over the years

To completely blow my own horn I fully called that there will be an ocean version of the hometree getting blown up. Jim wants you all to realise the beauty we are destroying

• Like 1