Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

3 hours ago, porginchina said:

My guess for China… gets a mid-December release, is hindered by lockdowns, opens surprisingly quiet but then holds decently until it gets yanked from screens in mid-January for the Spring Festival releases. My very, very, very, very rough guess is something in the ¥2-2.5 billion range (so, like… in the vicinity of $300 million).

I'm slightly more optimistic, granted the Chinese market condition is terrible and that's been discussed many times. But I still think the market is currently very much starved for a hit film for quite some time now, especially a Hollywood high production value import, there hasn't been anything to scratch that itch since.... Jurassic World Dominion. The market might be at like 30% 2019 capacity right now, but it will have high ticket price and I could see it leg it out to say $450M, which is like RMB 3.2B, or roughly on the same level as Moon Man. 

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I didn’t think there was a need for another trailer, but maybe now people can stop claiming that Disney’s half-assing the marketing. 

I really do like that there seems to be another trailer, while I liked the second trailer, I felt like it didn't quite do enough to drum up anticipation for those who are not already looking forward to A2, and the first teaser already kind of accomplished the "lure people back with the beauty of Pandora" which makes the second one a little redundant. This upcoming trailer I hope reveals more plot points and be more action packed.

8 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

I really do like that there seems to be another trailer, while I liked the second trailer, I felt like it didn't quite do enough to drum up anticipation for those who are not already looking forward to A2, and the first teaser already kind of accomplished the "lure people back with the beauty of Pandora" which makes the second one a little redundant. This upcoming trailer I hope reveals more plot points and be more action packed.

I wouldn't doubt it.

We got the Good Morning America trailer, now we're getting the Monday Night Football trailer.

• Like 1

As long as it is the highest grossing movie worldwide this year, all is well.

I no longer expect this to reach the heights of Avatar.

Anyone expecting that or more is setting themselves up for massive disappointment. 

I am sure even James Cameron and Disney are just hoping to make enough profits on the next two to finish the 4th and 5th together.

4 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

As long as it is the highest grossing movie worldwide this year, all is well.

I no longer expect this to reach the heights of Avatar.

Anyone expecting that or more is setting themselves up for massive disappointment. 

I am sure even James Cameron and Disney are just hoping to make enough profits on the next two to finish the 4th and 5th together.

this, but the exact opposite

8 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I hope this new trailer is the big one, give us something as hype as the final trailer for the first movie. 

Hopefully it's the following:

less mystical music, more battle/war style music

lots of gunfire and action

some story

mentions "see it in 3D"
has JAMES CAMERON, DIRECTOR OF AVATAR/TITANIC/TERMINATOR 2/ALIENS

I'm hoping for a much more macsuline trailer this time around.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Elessar said:

It's nice for us movie nerds to get a new trailer but i don't think it'll help much in terms of marketing. Most places will probably keep playing the last trailer or even the teaser.

that's why I'm hoping for a very different style of trailer

I have no idea what to expect from “Avatar 2” in terms of opening weekend. It can open to $180-190 million, but then again it can pull something closer to “Spider man” like $250+ million. But I am not really convinced that it will gross more than “Top Gun: Maverick” in the States. Worldwide almost definitely. 

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

that's why I'm hoping for a very different style of trailer

Just saying there's not much use to a new trailer if it's not playing anywhere.

Maybe it's just here where i live but theaters keep showing old trailers.

Anyhow, at least it might hype up your base and people that watch trailers online, which in turn can have a net positive (evangelizing) effect. In that sense my initial statement is maybe a tad too negative.

13 minutes ago, ViktorLosAngeles said:

I have no idea what to expect from “Avatar 2” in terms of opening weekend. It can open to $180-190 million, but then again it can pull something closer to “Spider man” like $250+ million. But I am not really convinced that it will gross more than “Top Gun: Maverick” in the States. Worldwide almost definitely. 

If it opens to $180-190 million i believe it would have a good chance at beating Top Gun. It would only need about Force Awakens legs.

45 minutes ago, Elessar said:

If it opens to $180-190 million i believe it would have a good chance at beating Top Gun. It would only need about Force Awakens legs.

If it opnes to that much TGM is gonna get thanos dusted

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Astonished 1

Starting to see High Frame Rate notices on many A2 3D showings over at Fandango.

ETA:

After double checking, all Regal 3D showings are in HRF, except for the 4DX showings and that's presumable due to the format.

(another chain put up its initial set early today and they aren't listing HFR for their 3D showings, but their info might not be fully up to date yet)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1