Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

3 hours ago, M37 said:

Don’t shoot the messenger here 😇

>"Who asked for this?"
>tracking for a $150m+ opening weekend in one of the worst markets for the original

Probably those tens of millions of people, I would imagine. Jesus christ.

Remember when journalism used to mean something, rather than simply parroting bad internet arguments pushed by people with an agenda which were only able to be pushed due to the complete 13-year content vacuum between Avatar and Avatar 2 which meant that there (very naturally) wasn't any measurable interest in the series, and which people disingenously (and very wrongly) used to conclude that the interest didn't exist at all?

The "nobody cares about Avatar"/"nobody asked for Avatar 2" thing was always a ridiculous claim that anyone with any sense could instantly see through, but to be making that claim now, at the precipice of Avatar 2's release and in the face of the overwhelming evidence to the contrary, is simply embarrassing and completely out of touch with reality.

And again, on "cultural impact", Avatar's perceived lack of it (the long-lasting kind at least, it had a tremendous amount when it was first released) is largely a function of — firstly — the movie being a standalone product with a very neatly wrapped up story with no outstanding plot threads, sequel hooks, or other things to speculate about, and secondly the complete lack of further content for 13 years. Not only is Avatar's perceived lack of cultural impact near-completely irrelevant to the interest in, and success of, its sequel (as we're already seeing — it's simply undeniable), but a massive hole is about to be blown into the argument merely as a result of another movie in the series being released with new characters, new ideas and an ongoing story for people to get their teeth stuck into. It pretty much proves that the argument was completely vacuous in the first place and only the result of a set of very specific circumstances and not necessarily a result of the merits (or lack thereof) of the movie itself, which is the real reason the argument was pushed in the first place due to the critical and financial unassailability of the original movie.

Edited by hw64
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, hw64 said:

>"Who asked for this?"
>tracking for a $150m+ opening weekend in one of the worst markets for the original

Probably those tens of millions of people, I would imagine. Jesus christ.

Remember when journalism used to mean something, rather than simply parroting bad internet arguments pushed by people with an agenda which were only able to be pushed due to the complete 13-year content vacuum between Avatar and Avatar 2 which meant that there (very naturally) wasn't any measurable interest in the series, and which people disingenously (and very wrongly) used to conclude that the interest didn't exist at all?

The "nobody cares about Avatar"/"nobody asked for Avatar 2" thing was always a ridiculous claim that anyone with any sense could instantly see through, but to be making that claim now, at the precipice of Avatar 2's release and in the face of the overwhelming evidence to the contrary, is simply embarrassing and completely out of touch with reality.

And again, on "cultural impact", Avatar's perceived lack of it (the long-lasting kind at least, it had a tremendous amount when it was first released) is largely a function of — firstly — the movie being a standalone product with a very neatly wrapped up story with no outstanding plot threads, sequel hooks, or other things to speculate about, and secondly the complete lack of further content for 13 years. Not only is Avatar's perceived lack of cultural impact near-completely irrelevant to the interest in, and success of, its sequel (as we're already seeing — it's simply undeniable), but a massive hole is about to be blown into the argument merely as a result of another movie in the series being released with new characters, new ideas and an ongoing story for people to get their teeth stuck into. It pretty much proves that the argument was completely vacuous in the first place and only the result of a set of very specific circumstances and not necessarily a result of the merits (or lack thereof) of the movie itself, which is the real reason the argument was pushed in the first place due to the critical and financial unassailability of the original movie.

We will send them the message above all else. Pandora is our fortress. Can we get Cameron's sequel over.that 200-250 m ow hurdle 

9 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

it still is the highest grossing blu-ray of all time (excluding box-sets). Frozen sold more copies but made less revenue

Hah hah I rem haters on Avatar shock at those blue ray and home video nums. So many wanted a peace of pandora anyway possible to keep visiting at home.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NCsoft said:

Pretty much this; what I was getting from her across a couple of interviews:

A2 is as much of a transformative experience as Avatar, and if you do connect with it, A3 will be even more rewarding.

Ncsoft China's president wants the people to experience avatar so much he's opening theaters they're saying.  Wow and it looks like a Cameron film will join the 200m OW club 😎😎 Cameron repeat business and all dominating multiplier next🏋‍♀️💯.  Woohooo!!

Come on! Come On I  want pandorians  to drive this new journway over a billion domestic. I hope I can get it in a 4dx theater

• Like 2

16 hours ago, adaros said:

Said by who?

I'm waiting for Jake and Neytiri character arc as much as mind blowing visuals. 

Without a doubt it's their story that's driving the film along with the visuals and again being the only film that gives one a sensation of leaving the theater and on pandora. Wow we all aiming to go back to pandoria. Some fans may revisit Avatar2 10 times or more st 25-30.00 a pop. Wow

I think Cameron makes a fair point re: Avatar didn't have a sequel straight away so it's not comparing like with like to other films that did. The MCU has smashed us over the head several times a year with its 'cultural impact' for the last decade. I know which approach I'd prefer for cinema.

But I also think the "it's weird how people don't talk about the biggest movie of all time " meme has some truth, and it's silly to pretend otherwise. Uncontroversial criticisms of Avatar alert: Most people don't remember Jake's name because he was boring. Most people don't quote the script because there aren't any memorable lines to quote. Most people aren't interested in Pandora lore because there's barely any to be interested in. Etc etc. Perhaps these charges against Avatar stuck because Cameron is usually incredible at that stuff.

Thing is, Avatar did have, at the time, a massive cultural impact: the thankfully shortlived 3D revivial. No-one seems to talk about that anymore, but it was a huge deal. I'm sure if 3D had somehow stuck around the conversation over Avatar's legacy would be redundant.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

It's not like that would be hard to do 👀

I dunno, to me it's a tough bar. As a cinematic experience as a whole, Avatar is almost peerless when it comes to Sci-fi/Fantasy epics, only other things in the same range are stuff like LOTR. BUT, there's definitely room for improvement on the story and character side. Hopefully this mammoth run time is used well.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I think Cameron makes a fair point re: Avatar didn't have a sequel straight away so it's not comparing like with like to other films that did. The MCU has smashed us over the head several times a year with its 'cultural impact' for the last decade. I know which approach I'd prefer for cinema.

But I also think the "it's weird how people don't talk about the biggest movie of all time " meme has some truth, and it's silly to pretend otherwise. Uncontroversial criticisms of Avatar alert: Most people don't remember Jake's name because he was boring. Most people don't quote the script because there aren't any memorable lines to quote. Most people aren't interested in Pandora lore because there's barely any to be interested in. Etc etc. Perhaps these charges against Avatar stuck because Cameron is usually incredible at that stuff.

Thing is, Avatar did have, at the time, a massive cultural impact: the thankfully shortlived 3D revivial. No-one seems to talk about that anymore, but it was a huge deal. I'm sure if 3D had somehow stuck around the conversation over Avatar's legacy would be redundant.

Yes to all of this. The “cultural relevancy” talk largely revolves around the absence of the typical fandom activities that surround world-building movies like Star Wars/MCU/DC/LOTR: cosplay, fan fiction, etc. Avatar’s connection to viewers was far less tangible, based less in the story/characters and the branches that sprung from it, and more in the experience of watching it.

I’ve said this somewhere before, but I believe Avatar was in some ways a nostalgia film, not for the subject, but for the novelty of the movie experience in people’s formative years, which had largely become routine as people got older. Can’t help but wonder, 13 years later and in a very different theatrical market, how much of that magic can be recaptured 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I dunno, to me it's a tough bar. As a cinematic experience as a whole, Avatar is almost peerless when it comes to Sci-fi/Fantasy epics, only other things in the same range are stuff like LOTR. BUT, there's definitely room for improvement on the story and character side. Hopefully this mammoth run time is used well.

Yes, exactly!

As much as I enjoyed the movie, it's far from his best so there's plenty of room for improvement.