Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

I don't think anything's winning until possibly the last one. As it is I think there's still enough of a... let's say aversion to the franchise among AMPAS circles that it's not gonna be a consensus best. If once the last one comes around, delivers the goods, and the franchise has cemented itself as a seminal cinematic achievement, then it may get showered with a bunch of awards.

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I don't think anything's winning until possibly the last one. As it is I think there's still enough of a... let's say aversion to the franchise among AMPAS circles that it's not gonna be a consensus best. If once the last one comes around, delivers the goods, and the franchise has cemented itself as a seminal cinematic achievement, then it may get showered with a bunch of awards.

I'm thinking same as well. But since Cameron said that Avatar 4 was nuts so I have high hopes not withstanding avatar sequels continue beyond that. 

I don't think the academy will go back to giving a BP award to a blockbuster. Maybe if they get truly desperate for ratings at some point, but they have been declining for a while and it hasn't stopped them from giving it to super niche stuff. Which is fine by me, frankly.

Edited by JustLurking

55 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

I'm seeing a lot of hype for this with people around me. I'm starting to believe $3B is possible especially considering it'll have pretty much no competition for more than a month. 

There is an absolute dearth of competition in November and Wakanda Forever is still doing mediocre. Not saying The Way of Water's run will be mediocre, just saying I don't think we can count on lack of competition being a factor. It will come down to simply how popular the movie is.

• Like 2

The avatar franchise ending with a super preachy "the book of Merlyn from the once and future king book series"-type final chapter sounds pretty rad

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Astonished 1

14 minutes ago, Verrows said:

There is an absolute dearth of competition in November and Wakanda Forever is still doing mediocre. Not saying The Way of Water's run will be mediocre, just saying I don't think we can count on lack of competition being a factor. It will come down to simply how popular the movie is.

Yes. TGM performed like a champ even with such competition. If movie is great and audiences love it then competition is not even a factor.

• Like 2

Competition is always a factor, if anything because of how long and how many screens (and especially premium formats for a film like this that skews ridicolously towards premiums) you get to keep, which in the case of A2 is going to be a lot, and it'll keep them pretty freaking long.

Edited by JustLurking

Just now, JustLurking said:

Competition is always a factor, if anything because of how long and how many screens (and especially premium formats for a film like this that skews ridicolously towards premiums), which in the case of A2 is going to be pretty freaking long.

When first Avatar was released it had also competition. No only Sherlock movie performed well but Avatar became highest grossing movie.

7 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

The avatar franchise ending with a super preachy "the book of Merlyn from the once and future king series"-type final chapter sounds pretty rad

Don't forget if these movies perform well then there will be Avatar 6 & 7 so on..

1 minute ago, Nero said:

When first Avatar was released it had also competition. No only Sherlock movie performed well but Avatar became highest grossing movie.

Different kind of films. Yes, Sherlock and that chipmunk BS whatever its name was did well against avatar, but that was more counterprogramming than direct competition.

3 hours ago, Nero said:

Wasn't just sherlock, 3 movies opened on the second weekend that grossed nearly 600m between them. Theaters were eating so so so goooood that season

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m not counting on this winning Best Picture, but I can see a nomination. This and TGM getting nominated for Best Picture is an easy way to guarantee that more people will tune in to the Oscars. 

Not if it's obvious they have no chance of winning. People are not stupid. They see from precursor awards whether a blockbuster or some literal who movie is getting winner headlines. So if you nominate TGM and Avatar but it's obvious that a movie the audience didn't/won't care to watch such as Fabelmans or She Said or Women Talking or Banshees of Isherin or Tar is going to win instead, they won't tune in. Joker didn't improve ratings even though everyone knew Phoenix was going to take the gold. But the movie wasn't pegged to win.

Titanic win ratings remain unsurpassed cause it was obvious Titanic was going to clean up.

ROTK win ratings jumped from post-Titanic slump cause it was ROTK's time and everyone knew it.

Avatar loss ratings were up cause Avatar's Globe win made its Oscar win very likely. It didn't happen but people tuned in to see it win. I'm not surprised that ratings went to toilet after. AMPAS had a great chance to reverse that with TDK but they snubbed it nomination day. They simply don't care for blockbusters anymore and Preferential Ballot is never going to let one win again.