Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Just now, interiorgatordecorator said:

wonder if HFR could make an A+ impossible (assuming the movie deserves it), one out of ten people comment on being annoyed by it

I'm still wondering what the rollout of HFR will be like, I watched Avatar Remastered in the UK months back and there wasn't really anywhere to watch it in HFR.

I am still excited that the movie we waiting for 13 years will coming next week,it’s just like a dream that bring my memory to that time shocked by how amazing Avatar 1 was….really sweet feeling ,I will see this one at least 5 times in theater

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I'm still wondering what the rollout of HFR will be like, I watched Avatar Remastered in the UK months back and there wasn't really anywhere to watch it in HFR.

I saw it in HFR at a Laser IMAX, but they didn’t advertise it as such. Nowhere seems to be listing Avatar 2 as HFR, so I’m wondering if they just aren’t publicising it. I have to imagine that the IMAX’s that showed the first in HFR will be showing the sequel in HFR too.

Foreground elements running at a different FPS to background? In a videogame that would be massively distracting, so I’m interested to see how it looks here.

Edited by SnokesLegs

I feel if this gets over a 90 on RT, and is a mega 2bil+ hit, i feel this will win best picture oscar.

The first AVATAR won the Golden Globe off a 82 RT score, and was oscar nominated for best pic with some people thinking it was going to win.

I feel with the lack of competition this year,. and the fact that AVATAR is trying to save cinema itself, i feel they will give it the best picture Oscar.

Edited by stuart360
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, XXR 4 Modsident said:

If it hits those numbers, you'll have earned it and the right to gloat.

The film's quality itself is what's going to determine the box office ultimately and I have an unfair advantage in knowing everything about the production. I honestly believe the only conclusion with the info I know is that Avatar 2 will be a groundbreaking movie better than the first, with a richer story than the first and have all the classic Jim strengths in a film.

basically i'll be humble, maybe slip a jab here and there saying everyone should have done their research.. maybe not, we'll see

yes i am talking like 3 billies is in the bag

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Good to be honest for me. I want to watch it in standard framerate. I said this before but i feel Cameron should of gone full 24fps, or full 48fps (or the 60fps that was orig planned years ago). All this switching between framerates is going to be immersion breaking i feel.

The HFR is one of the negatives that has come up ina  lot of reviews so far too.

3 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I saw it in HFR at a Laser IMAX, but they didn’t advertise it as such. Nowhere seems to be listing Avatar 2 as HFR, so I’m wondering if they just aren’t publicising it. I have to imagine that the IMAX’s that showed the first in HFR will be showing the sequel in HFR too.

Foreground elements running at a different FPS to background? In a videogame that would be massively distracting, so I’m interested to see how it looks here.

i'm not entirely sure this is true, also i heard 48fps is the max.

7 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

This sounds like a pain in the neck on the eyes. Would be very surprised if this looks even remotely pleasing.

7 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

I feel if this gets over a 90 on RT, and is a mega 2bil+ hit, i feel this will win best picture oscar.

The first AVATAR won the Golden Globe off a 82 RT score, and was oscar nominated for best pic with some people thinking it was going to win.

I feel with the lack of competition this year,. and the fact that AVATAR is trying to save cinema itself, i feel they will give it the best picture Oscar.

That's not how it works, movies don't win Best Picture because of RT score, in fact RT score has nothing to do with it at all. And Avatar does have competition for the main statue.

Edited by Firepower

2 minutes ago, Firepower said:

That's not how it works, movies don't win Best Picture because of RT score, in fact RT score has nothing to do with it at all. And Avatar does have competition for the main statue.

It has less competition than the first film had, and that won the Golden Globe, and some thought at the time it was going to get the Oscar.

And i know the Oscars dont go off RT score, but it a film had a RT score of 90 vs a film with a RT score of 50, and for some reason they were both up for best picture, obviously the better reviewed film is probably going to win.

1 minute ago, Eric Dielman said:

This sounds like a pain in the neck on the eyes. Would be very surprised if this looks even remotely pleasing.

The person behind that tweet (a DOP on HBO’s Last of Us series) clarified that it’s basically that the background would be running at full 48fps while the characters moved at the usual 24fps during dialogue scenes, then everything ramps up to the full 48fps for action scenes. 

If it were the other way around with the background running slower than the foreground then I could see it being an issue (Halo Infinite had something like that happen for distant objects, and while it wasn’t always noticeable, when you DID notice it, it was weird), but the background running at full speed while you’re focused on the foregrounded characters might work.