Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 minute ago, GOGODanca said:

73 on Metacritic after 41 reviews

For comparison:

Top Gun Maverick: 78

No Way Home: 71

The Batman: 72

BPWF: 67

Not used to using MC to judge movies (i post a lot on gaming forums where MC is used a lot), but looking at that list, 73 doesnt look bad at all!.

I think the RT/MC ratio is kinda weird for this movie (and the first avatar too). I mean wouldn't a movie with 70-ish MC generally have 90%-ish RT like The Batman? 

And I think one of the reasons behind this is that some small critics really have some issues with James Cameron and they just automatically don't like his giant commercial success

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

We're doing just fine. The real critics get to see it this weekend

Yeahh those rating mean that the movie will resonate with general audience pretty well just like the first one. And you know what that means 😁

If it can hold on to the 73/100 on MetaCritic (we can expect another 20 reviews, so it will be a tall ask), then that's very good for a regular blockbuster. Whether or not James Cameron and Avatar should be aiming for "regular blockbuster" territory is another question.

• Like 1

Everyone needs to take a step back and realise that the highest grossing film of all time that changed the face of cinema and was directed by James Cameron the king of the box office, scored 83% on RT. This isn't a film for critics, it's for audiences. If they're unable to immerse themselves and become one with Pandora that's unfornate for them.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, nydedan said:

I think the RT/MC ratio is kinda weird for this movie (and the first avatar too). I mean wouldn't a movie with 70-ish MC generally have 90%-ish RT like The Batman? 

And I think one of the reasons behind this is that some small critics really have some issues with James Cameron and they just automatically don't like his giant commercial success

You got to watch what you say here in regrads to judging critics, but lets just say i feel that 90 would of been the absolute limit to what this could of got, regardless of how good the movie was.

3 minutes ago, nydedan said:

The first one is just crazy, an 83 on MC should logically lead to like a 97+ on RT

Also The Batman finished around 85 on RT

Edited by GOGODanca
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Lucas said:

If it can hold on to the 73/100 on MetaCritic (we can expect another 20 reviews, so it will be a tall ask), then that's very good for a regular blockbuster. Whether or not James Cameron and Avatar should be aiming for "regular blockbuster" territory is another question.

A film unapologetically made for global audiences should never be aiming for american & uk critic scores to begin with

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dignam said:

Dont know why some are complaining, so far the ratings on both RT/MC look great. 👍

As we've seen from some of the posts over the past hour or so, there are a lot of people absolutely waiting to pounce on any perceived sign of weakness from this movie to affirm their own deep-seated beliefs.

• Like 1

The score is actually getting better? Not common at all. I think maybe the more harsh critics of the movie where eager to release really fast their reviews? I think this is going to land at mid 80's which after the 83% debut was very hard to believe it could.

3 minutes ago, nydedan said:

This may be a "Top critics respect the craft" effect.

Avatar doesn't benefit from a "like vs dislike" scale.