Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Average starts at 7.1, now it's 7.4 

It's really behaving way different than usual blockbusters lol

It's like if several haters were to publish their negative reviews as soon as embargo lifts. Creating this statistical anomaly. I mean, it's pretty normal when fans publish their positive reviews among the very first ones creating positive statistical anomaly. And then, when the others who don't care about the movie as much as fans, post their reviews, average score drops a bit over a time. And with WOW it looks like haters care about the movie the most.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Georgy P said:

It's like if several haters were to publish their negative reviews as soon as embargo lifts. Creating this statistical anomaly. I mean, it's pretty normal when fans publish their positive reviews among the very first ones creating positive statistical anomaly. And then, when the others who don't care about the movie as much as fans, post their reviews, average score drops a bit over a time. And with WOW it looks like haters care about the movie the most.

To be honest i think thats exactly what happened. I wanted to post something similar but i was already warned for questioning reviewers.

1 hour ago, GOGODanca said:

RT Top Critics:

The Batman: 76% with 7.3/10 avg

BPWF: 73% with 7/10 avg

Obviously TGM is just in another stratosphere

Wakanda Forever even being that high with Top Critics is hilarious imo. 20 minutes of a soulful Boseman tribute trapped in 2h20 extra mins of universe filler and dull action.

Edited by Dragoncaine
  • Knock It Off 2

20 minutes ago, Georgy P said:

I heard this exact same thing during BP:WF's rollout and, well....

Look, I think it'll probably be in the low to mid 80s when all is said and done.  Then it's up to the GA, as it always was for this film.

There are no variables left and people are hours away from seeing it, all up to the movie now

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 1

Rotten Tomatoes at the moment with 85% and 96 positive reviews at an average of 7.4, so slightly higher than the percentage of the first one which stands at 82%.

Metacritic, on the other hand, currently 72 with 43 reviews, due, however, to all the Brits going wild with several 20s and 40s that ruined the average by a lot.
Now with 72 it is equal to that of a The Batman.
Or wanting to compare with other Cameron films, Terminator 2 and Titanic have 75.

The first Avatar on meta had received a colossal 83 with, however, only 38 reviews, very few exaggerated negative critiques and a dozen or so free 100s obtained probably also thanks to the strength of 3D as a novelty to act as an enthusiastic counterbalance that made it raise its average a lot by glossing over many things.

It was natural that with the second and after all this time in the critics there would be a nice nice drop as happened to many other films that so dropped even more than 20 percentage points.
In addition must be added the gratuitous bitching from the British weighed further on the average.

Today after 13 years and the far more divisive and critical aura that the franchise has carried with it the critics are far tougher so they are making certain stuff weigh more on the rating.

Let's say that realistically without the positive exaggerations given to the first film and the negative exaggerations given to the second film, it is likely that the two films will eventually meet halfway on a similar average.

The important thing for me is that beyond the ratings at least a 70-80% of the reviews, or the majority anyway, say it is much better than the first one.

Edited by omark
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, omark said:

Rotten Tomatoes at the moment with 85% and 96 positive reviews at an average of 7.4, so slightly higher than the percentage of the first one which stands at 82%.

Metacritic, on the other hand, at the moment 72 with 43 reviews, however because of all the Brits who pounced with several 20s and 40s to ruin the average that was otherwise more on a 78.
Now with 72 it is equal to that of a The Batman.
Or wanting to compare with other Cameron films, Terminator 2 and Titanic have 75.

The first Avatar on meta had received a colossal 83 with, however, only 38 reviews, very few exaggerated negative critiques and a dozen or so free 100s obtained probably also thanks to the strength of 3D as a novelty to act as an enthusiastic counterbalance that made it raise its average a lot by glossing over many things.

It was natural that with the second and after all this time in the critics there would be a nice nice drop as happened to many other films that so dropped even more than 20 percentage points.
In addition must be added the gratuitous bitching from the British weighed further on the average.

Today after 13 years and the far more divisive and critical aura that the franchise has carried with it the critics are far tougher so they are making certain stuff weigh more on the rating.
Let's say that without the positive exaggerations given to the first film and the negative exaggerations given to the second film well or poorly the two films meet halfway on a 77.

The important thing for me is that beyond the ratings at least a 70-80% of the reviews, or the majority anyway, say it is much better than the first one.

This is silly. You can't just arbitrarily remove points from the first and add points to the second like that. Of course negative reviews influence the aggregate, that's how aggregators are supposed to work.

• Like 6