Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

12 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

I would love to see a market study of Japan, what the hell happened there? 

To be fair, the number we have is just for 2 days, but it's still low. I think it's a combination of several things, what happened there.

• Thanks 1

Just saw it again, 4th time lol. First time since the first AVATAR that i have seen a film more than 3 times at the cinema.

It honestly gets a little bit better with each viewing. The final battle together is just soemthing else.

Seeing it again a round Christmas time, then probably once more towards the end of the run if they release an extened version like they did with the first film.

Cameron did it again for me, regardless of underperforming. A3 wont have most of these factors going against A2, and i expect A3 to outgross this film.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

2b break-even is misreporting

Total production cost including marketing seems to be around $600m as of now, I guess this equates to around $1400m required for a profit

Yep or less.. Because remember It was also reported to be 350-400 M and only needed 100M of advertising, So

thats more like 850-1B to start profiting.. And they are looking to fly over 1B :). 

Avatar 2 hits over 500M WW today Also Jimbo. So half a billy already :)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Just saw it again, 4th time lol. First time since the first AVATAR that i have seen a film more than 3 times at the cinema.

It honestly gets a little bit better with each viewing. The final battle together is just soemthing else.

Seeing it again a round Christmas time, then probably once more towards the end of the run if they release an extened version like they did with the first film.

Cameron did it again for me, regardless of underperforming. A3 wont have most of these factors going against A2, and i expect A3 to outgross this film.

Definitely., Japan may still pickup, but they wont allow it to soar huge unfortunately.

-Very likely because some of A2s plot points. We had some of best of all time openings in some countries . So  more than one way to make up for Japan and then some (And its just a few days--Who knows). Sad that we dont get to see 200-300M in Japan though. Thats a huge market usually for Avatar. James may have to becareful if he wants it promoted in Japan brother Stewart.. Definitely like a kick in the arm to heads of that country with James particular message in A2. lol

• Like 2

6 hours ago, stuart360 said:

I'm saying around 450 after New Years weekend, and 600-650 total.

I'm still not totally against it hitting 700mil in the US, and i'm still not totally against it hitting 2bil WW. In fact i still feel its more probable that the film goes over 2bil WW than under 2bil.

Yep feels theres lots of suprises and Steam left for this film domestically.. Hopefully no less than 650-700M Domestic for Way of the Water with a nice shot at blowing this range out of the water. Depending how much walk-ins and fans spread that awesome WOM and get the last line up to explore the waters and lands of Pandora!

What's Cameron's cut? Didn't he get something like 10% of the first Avatar's gross revenue? If his salary is the same for the second one, this means that Disney is actually only getting 45%, 35%, and 15% back on US, OS-C, and China respectively. at $600m+ budget and advertising and the current split of US/OS-C/C of 30:57:13 the breakeven point would be $1.7b. 

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

1 billie by tuesday

Surpassing NWH  WW by  mid January or so??  WHat do you think Jimbo :D?

Lets GO!!

Avatar 2 Way of the Water Milestones on the Road to biggest movie of 2022:

Best TGM's  OW of 126M with 135MOW (With likely much Better legs- 5.8-6X Mulitplier?)

Best Black Adam Total WW in 48HRs(Lol)

Doubles Avatar 1 OW

Passes 500M WW  Mark  in 4 Days!

Surpasses DS2  and BP 2 WW  in under 2 Weeks 

On its way to Surpass Black Panther 1 and 2 Domestic and  WW shortly. 

I wonder how soon to pass the 1.4B of Maverick and the 1.9B WW  of NWH?
Stay Tuned

Lots more of milestones to be added Pandorians!!

Best Picture and  Best Director and Best SFX Golden Globe And Oscars Nods and 50+ Film and Critic Awards Next.. 

---" LETS GET IT DONE!" 

8 minutes ago, shachi86 said:

What's Cameron's cut? Didn't he get something like 10% of the first Avatar's gross revenue? If his salary is the same for the second one, this means that Disney is actually only getting 45%, 35%, and 15% back on US, OS-C, and China respectively. at $600m+ budget and advertising and the current split of US/OS-C/C of 30:57:13 the breakeven point would be $1.7b. 

That would be absolutely insane. 10% of gross profit I could understand, but 10% of gross revenue would be killer for 4 and 5's prospects. If that is anywhere close to true, then he'd either need to waive it or severely reduce it for 4 and 5 to be viable for the studio, I'd imagine.

It does, however, align with Jim's comments to THR at the premiere of Avatar 2 that it needs to be around the 7th or 8th highest-grossing film of all time to break even, which is around $1.65b at present.

Edited by hw64

Hope James Cameron conserve all those possible Terabytes and Terabytes of Avatar Assest, so if 4 and 5 happens to not get made they can make Avatar 4 and 5 as a Videogame in Unreal Engine or an Engine with Virtualize Geometry or Nanite equivalent. Because the engine of Frontiers of Pandora if it does not have a Nanite equivalent is already outdated for 2024 but good it will (possibly) launch on 2023.

Nanite equivalent allows games to run with geometry on the level of Movies. 

That way even if it does'nt make it to theaters we will get Avatar 4 and 5 on a game, and hope he makes some cutscenes for it. 

Edited by StreamBO

1 hour ago, Fancyarcher said:

Enjoyed this one just as about as much as the first. Seeing it on the big screen gave me the same sort of feeling in 2009, and it helps that there were a decent amount of people in the cinema too. 

Also I made a video about the original to go along with the release of the new film. It's mostly about James Cameron's skills as a filmmaker, but also why the film works as well as it does as an experience.

Brother Fancy Archer where have you been compadre... :) Good to see all my Pandorian Brothers and Sisters and we are once again showing the  Naysayers!!

My next visit to Pandora will be in glorius  4DX.. Loved A2 man and I, Gave the Normal version 4.8/5.. Cannot wait for Part 3 

Cool to finally see you man.  About to watch your review.. Blessings my long time Wingman.. We got Jimbo , Kayom, NCsoft  over here as well. I dont see our Raccoon loving buddy though. I hope he Returns.

Also wheres Baumer..  Hes not showing up to discuss BO of 13 yrs in the making Arrival of A2?

Exciting Times for BO with Maverick Super Performing and James Cameron showing why his Avatar Brand is a Force to be Reckoned with even after a Decade of wait!

(Slow out the gate, but Way of the Water is definitely worth the wait and showing 2B can be done even when battling the ODDS!)

To 700+M Domestic and 2.1B or more WW!

" LETS GET IT DONE!"

THAT THIS.... THIS IS OUR LAND!!! 

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Editing post
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, hw64 said:

That would be absolutely insane. 10% of gross profit I could understand, but 10% of gross revenue would be killer for 4 and 5's prospects. If that is anywhere close to true, then he'd either need to waive it or severely reduce it for 4 and 5 to be viable for the studio, I'd imagine.

It does, however, align with Jim's comments to THR at the premiere of Avatar 2 that it needs to be around the 7th or 8th highest-grossing film of all time to break even, which is around $1.65b at present.

Proably more like 1.1B.. Because remember the studios make revenue from  Brands using Avatar in their stuff. Like Sony, Panasoc etc..  No way I dont see A2 being very profitable and Avatar 3 will be all profit  for the studio and Cameron.. Im pretty sure Cameron waives whatever deal he has to get his projects done. He gave his entire salary for Titanic( And in the end the studios gave him 100-150M dollars as a Thank you and to stay with us). Thats why brother HW64, hes a legend he will absolutely go down with the ship and end up in a bad situation to finish his visions lol.

But in the end he gets rewarded directly or through his backends..  If all work outs  dont be suprised if studios give him extra to direct all 5 Avatars lol. I wouldnt trust this franchise in anyones hands besides James

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Update
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, hw64 said:

think we have an exact answer, let me see if I can find it

1 hour ago, hw64 said:

theres specfic percentages in the comment section

I dont really care about Cameron making money or not, but I hope we dont find ourselves in a situation where we'd need him to waive some of it in order to get 5 made

• Like 2

Day / Date Rogue One Avatar Way of Water
0 / Dec 15

Thu

$29,000,000

total $29,000,000

$17,000,000

total $17,000,000

1 / Dec 16

Fri

$71,094,394

(theaters 4,157)