Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 hour ago, Eric is a furry said:

Moderation

Guys, I know you're trying to be vague, but even the vaguest descriptions aren't allowed for leaked material. Feel free to save your thoughts when the trailer finally comes out.

Question, considering that the trailer is being shown in front of Doctor Strange, but will be released online a week later, are we allowed to discuss it once its played with Strange, or we should wait for the online release?

They should probably just realease the teaser on the tuesday/wednsday after DR STRANGED opening. I've seen the RIP and can't wait for it in 4k.

I think I've gotten to the point where I'm unwilling to argue with people on the internet anymore about Avatar 2, I'm tired of repeating the same talking points over and over. I'm perfectly fine to box office discussion, what I'm talking about is engaging with anyone saying things I find so untrue I can only assume they're acting in bad faith. The main reason is time & mental energy, I can't be wasting that stuff anymore.

That said, 4 billies atleast. I'm feeling the hysteria, I'm seeing visions into an Avatar manic world.  I'm going to stick by my original thoughts that this decade is going to be the birth of this generations Star Wars.

Storms coming...

• Like 1

It looked so beautiful. My god, i'm in awe and it's not even the greatest quality. Those at Cinemacon who said the trailer is no big deal are a bunch of haters. It's stunning!

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Why did some cinemacon attendees mention 5 minutes?

Can people that bad at measuring time really exist or is there another explanation?

I only saw one person saying the footage was 5 minutes; multiple other people said it was about a minute and a half. There's no other explanation, no other footage was shown at CinemaCon — that person just has shit time perception.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Reddroast said:

My worry is does it double down on the white Saviour angle the 1st movie had. Remember Cameron was born and raised in Canada where residential schools were still around until the late 1990s and the stories of nightmarish levels ofabuse are still coming out even now. I feel if it comes back it will hurt the film in a big way

I hear this white saviour term being thrown around a lot for Avatar. I don't buy it at all. If anything Jake was a screwup and a failure, not only to his original RDA mission (as a negotiator/spy) but also to the Na'Vi themselves who lost their ancestral home and were being slaughtered in the final battle until Eywa intervened. We'll see the fallout from all of this in the sequels, it wouldn't surprise me if most of the remaining Omaticaya tribe are killed forcing Jake/Neytiri & family to flee to safety. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

They should probably just realease the teaser on the tuesday/wednsday after DR STRANGED opening. I've seen the RIP and can't wait for it in 4k.

I think I've gotten to the point where I'm unwilling to argue with people on the internet anymore about Avatar 2, I'm tired of repeating the same talking points over and over. I'm perfectly fine to box office discussion, what I'm talking about is engaging with anyone saying things I find so untrue I can only assume they're acting in bad faith. The main reason is time & mental energy, I can't be wasting that stuff anymore.

That said, 4 billies atleast. I'm feeling the hysteria, I'm seeing visions into an Avatar manic world.  I'm going to stick by my original thoughts that this decade is going to be the birth of this generations Star Wars.

Storms coming...

Avatar The Way of Water will make a ton of $$$$$$$$, one has to remember that the vast majority of people who go to movies are not online discussing them they only want to be entertained and James Cameron is a master of big screen spectacles, he will deliver again. 

Edited by Deuce66

23 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

If had $5 for every time I've seen that nonsense online over the last 10 years I would be a very rich man. The story is timeless, follow the news and you'll see Avatar being played out all over the world. It's the human condition at play. No cultural impact? what planet are these people living on?  

• Like 1

Ehh, Avatar was a monster when it came out. I was one of the few who thought $2B was possible before it came out. However, I think things have changed since then. I'm thinking $400M DOM, $500M if the movie is really good. OS I see it exploding.  If it gets a China release, this will likely break the record for highest grossing movie WW. However, on the Domestic front, I don't think it's going to connect with US audiences the same way the first one did.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Maggie said:

It looked so beautiful. My god, i'm in awe and it's not even the greatest quality. Those at Cinemacon who said the trailer is no big deal are a bunch of haters. It's stunning!

Yep, looks like an experience movie yet again. Can't wait to see it on the biggest screen with MoM!

Plus they picked perfect music for this trailer. Holy shit!

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The GOAT said:

We're talking about it becuase we're at the start of a advertising campaign for the sequel. 

Anything can happen at the BO imo. Just because the first movie was big doesnt mean the sequel can come close to matching it. Let's not forget the BO of the sequel to the highest grossing romcom of all time

MV5BNTA1MjMzNDM2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTg3

Yeah, the amount of people who would be so eager and so passionately tell you how much they don't care about Avatar, how they feel indifferent toward the sequel, and how little "cultural impact" it left in our cultural landscape is so astonishing that it deserves to be studied as a cultural phenomenon in itself.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

44 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

Ehh, Avatar was a monster when it came out. I was one of the few who thought $2B was possible before it came out. However, I think things have changed since then. I'm thinking $400M DOM, $500M if the movie is really good. OS I see it exploding.  If it gets a China release, this will likely break the record for highest grossing movie WW. However, on the Domestic front, I don't think it's going to connect with US audiences the same way the first one did.

It ABSOLUTELY needs china to come close and maybe surpass avatar 1

• Like 1

You cannot discuss the trailer or any leaked material in any capacity whatsoever.

But directing people where to find the leaked material in the thread's title is... le fine!

Thanks mods, great job.

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

Just now, YourMother said:

I completely disagree that Avatar had little to no cultural impact. The shift towards IMAX, PLFs and 3D are because of Avatar’s success.

That's true it changed the business. But I think when people talk about cultural impact they compare it to Jurassic Park/world star wars . And it's very lacking compared to other sci-fi and tech epics