Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

8 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

A top 10 movie of the year for American critics is a very good sign for the review embargo

All those films had over 90 RT score too, except 'She Said' with a 87, and Babylon that hasnt been reviewed yet.

Good stuff.

Edited by stuart360
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

In my country the movie will only be available in 2D format. Please tell me this is going to look good at least, in 2D. 😭

I can't believe I watched the original back in 2009 in 3D and now 3D is no longer available. SMH.

Jim Cam said that they're proud of the 2D presentation of the film, the film has been mastered for every format.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

A top 10 movie of the year for American critics is a very good sign for the review embargo

Avatar: The Way of Water has now cracked the top 10 at the New York Film Critics Online circle, AFI, and National Board of Review (NBR). It won Production Design today at the LA Film Critics Circle (we'll have their full top 10 later today), and was runner-up for Cinematography at the New York Film Critics Online to Nope. Good day for it so far. Let's see how LA Film Critics and the Boston Society of Film Critics shake out with their top 10.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

IF enough people have seen it I dont think it should have much trouble getting the noms it wants (director+drama), but that might be a big if

This is my thought process. It's such a late-breaking movie, and I know on 12/7 (the day before Golden Globes voting closed), one of the new international members said they hadn't yet received a screener for it, so that could be a problem. The top 6 contenders for Drama and 8 contenders for Director, respectively, are:

BEST MOTION PICTURE - DRAMA

Elvis

Everything Everywhere All At Once

Tar

Top Gun: Maverick

Women Talking

BEST DIRECTOR

James Cameron, Avatar: The Way of Water

Damien Chazelle, Babylon

The Daniels, Everything Everywhere All At Once

Todd Field, Tar

Baz Luhrmann, Elvis

Martin McDonagh, The Banshees of Inisherin

Sarah Polley, Women Talking

Steven Spielberg, The Fabelmans

With fierce competition, if Avatar: The Way of Water manages to break into either or both of these categories, it's a VERY good sign. Nominations are announced tomorrow at 8:35am EST. 

Edited by Dragoncaine
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

Avatar: The Way of Water has now cracked the top 10 at the New York Film Critics Online circle, AFI, and National Board of Review (NBR). It won Production Design today at the LA Film Critics Circle (we'll have their full top 10 later today), and was runner-up for Cinematography at the New York Film Critics Online to Nope. Good day for it so far. Let's see how LA Film Critics and the Boston Society of Film Critics shake out with their top 10.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

In my country the movie will only be available in 2D format. Please tell me this is going to look good at least, in 2D. 😭

I can't believe I watched the original back in 2009 in 3D and now 3D is no longer available. SMH.

the biggest theater chain in the country, with something like 50% market share is doing like 90-10 2d to 3d ratio, leaving many of its theaters with only 2d options, while the 2nd largest and 4th largest are simply not doing 3d at all, thankfully the 3 and 5th are going all in and theyve both got theaters near me

47 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

28 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

the biggest theater chain in the country, with something like 50% market share is doing like 90-10 2d to 3d ratio, leaving many of its theaters with only 2d options, while the 2nd largest and 4th largest are simply not doing 3d at all, thankfully the 3 and 5th are going all in and theyve both got theaters near me

You guys are lucky. Here every theatre wants to shove 3d down our throats with every single movie. If a movie is in both 3d and 2d then 2d in IMAX and other PLF simply does not get shown, its all 3d. Even in normal screens 3d to 2d ration would be something like 70:30 or less. 

19 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

You guys are lucky. Here every theatre wants to shove 3d down our throats with every single movie. If a movie is in both 3d and 2d then 2d in IMAX and other PLF simply does not get shown, its all 3d. Even in normal screens 3d to 2d ration would be something like 70:30 or less. 

I can imagine that being a problem for every other movie, or if you are incompatible with 3D

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

I can imagine that being a problem for every other movie, or if you are incompatible with 3D

I don’t have a physical or medical issue with 3D, I don’t wear glasses or anything. Problem for me is that the 3d glasses dim the move and cause the colours to become muted. The movie does not look as good as it does in 2d as a result. Another issue is most movies do not need 3d not do they have many significant 3d effects yet theatres here overwhelmingly screen 3d versions. 

I don’t have an issue watching a movie filmed with 3d in mind with 3d cameras or movies where 3d is very well utilized and adds to the movie (something like Gravity). I am excited to watch Avatar 2 in 3d though (probably one of the only movies where I would prefer 3d over 2d). But yeah I won’t be sad if 3d dies and goes away completely. 

4 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

I don’t have a physical or medical issue with 3D, I don’t wear glasses or anything. Problem for me is that the 3d glasses dim the move and cause the colours to become muted. The movie does not look as good as it does in 2d as a result. Another issue is most movies do not need 3d not do they have many significant 3d effects yet theatres here overwhelmingly screen 3d versions. 

I don’t have an issue watching a movie filmed with 3d in mind with 3d cameras or movies where 3d is very well utilized and adds to the movie (something like Gravity). 

What formats are you watching it in? Different 3D technologies and projectors have different brightnesses, if you need a bright image then go to Dolby 3D as it's comparable to 2D. IMAX Laser is also good

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1