Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Both arguments for increase/decrease in DOM are valid I think, however, if you are STILL arguing that Avatar made its money due to 3D novelty then I'm just gonna faceplam and walk away.

People don't go see it multiple times just for the technology. It's the whole experience, and the story plays the most important role.

IMO, the story was one of the most accessible and followed the hero cycle perfectly like SW.

Like Tele said ESB had all those elements, A2 can have all them and more. With that plus new filming techniques plus new advancements in 3D wouldn't A2 surpass Avatar?

I would actually prefer it if the sequels didn't focus on Jake. Worthington is a charisma-vacuum and his hero's journey was over and done with by the end of the first movie. It's the same problem the Matrix sequels had. Neo had already become the One by the end, so the Wachowskis had to come up with some artificial obstacles ("upgrades", Agent Smith returning for no reason) to drag out the story for the sequels. Lucas was smart enough to not have Luke become a full Jedi and destroy Darth Vader at the end of ANH, so he actually had some story left to tell for the sequels.

• Like 2

I would actually prefer it if the sequels didn't focus on Jake. Worthington is a charisma-vacuum and his hero's journey was over and done with by the end of the first movie. It's the same problem the Matrix sequels had. Neo had already become the One by the end, so the Wachowskis had to come up with some artificial obstacles ("upgrades", Agent Smith returning for no reason) to drag out the story for the sequels. Lucas was smart enough to not have Luke become a full Jedi and destroy Darth Vader at the end of ANH, so he actually had some story left to tell for the sequels.

Since there are gonna be 3 more films and Cameron needed to bring in 5 more writers to finish the script, you can bet that the story is gonna be too grand to be focusing on a single character..

• Like 2

While AVATAR is a supremely crafted entertainment, I think  it will be hard to top 

the original $2.7B WW, which to this day a mind-boggling number.

Audience is getting jaded with 3D, and loud, unrelenting sensorial assault of

today's action blockbusters. Unless Cameron comes up with something 

amazing ...again.

Since there are gonna be 3 more films and Cameron needed to bring in 5 more writers to finish the script, you can bet that the story is gonna be too grand to be focusing on a single character..

I do hope so. I'd hope part 2 is about Jake Suuuuully and Saldana...that could work...but then part 3 and 4 are about completely different characters and species. That would excite me. Move past the space cats...On to...Space dogs then in the finale...Space Bears!!!
  • Like 1

I don't get the conviction that Cameron will invent some new super-duper technical thing that'll wow people all over again. First of all, there's nothing close that'll "reinvent" movies anyway. He'd be better served just telling a good story, and refining the techniques and visuals he already has. Fortunately, I think that's exactly what he's doing.

• Like 1

I don't get the conviction that Cameron will invent some new super-duper technical thing that'll wow people all over again. First of all, there's nothing close that'll "reinvent" movies anyway. He'd be better served just telling a good story, and refining the techniques and visuals he already has. Fortunately, I think that's exactly what he's doing.

Underwater space sex...it'll be a technological achievement...believe.

Hmm Seem Mr. bear is forgetting alot of Cameron haters predicted 300-500M WW for Avatar LOL. And absolutely no chance at repeating what he did with titanic..And other bs...Leo was the reason cameron's film went so high rofl..Seems Mr. bear definitely doesnt look at Camerons perfect track record and with 300-350M to work with or more for each film, he will destroy the competition and I think the domestic barrier yet again. Always bet on Cameron and the Music of Horner and the incredible team that break their backs to realize a cameron epic baby!! It will be another day long having people's mouth hanging agape to the ground. :)

I wish we had the Avatar thread from Mojo, I predicted Avatar would be a breakout long before most even knew about it that post on here so careful. Law of averages says Cameron is due for a decline.

Cameron WILL perfect the 4-D smell-o-vision thing from the last Spy Kids movie.
  • Like 1

Terminator was one of the biggest home video blockbuster of the eighties.

Aliens saved Fox, yep, you read me right. In the 80's, you couldn't have 500m in debt and still be a functionning company.

Now debt is just a word with no meaning ...

• Like 1

Why? Hasn't he done it on all/close to his movies. Why stop with Avatar? If we know Avatar is the stepping stone to Battle Angel.

Why? Hasn't he done it on all/close to his movies. Why stop with Avatar? If we know Avatar is the stepping stone to Battle Angel.

I'm sure it'll look great and have cutting-edge technology but that doesn't mean it'll be a game-changer, at least not in the way that might affect audience viewing. TRUE LIES pushed in the limits of technology at the time, but in a more-or-less invisible way. Shooting underwater mocap is not going to be this insane new thing that makes the GA go "OMG, that's insane!" It's just broadening the scope of a filmmaker's tools and refining the process so that shooting mocap can be quicker, more efficient, and more interactive.Even if it's a breakthrough in VFX and/or shooting methods, that doesn't necessarily translate to box-office: just look at THE ABYSS. Edited by Telemachos