Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

20 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

Cameron snubbed by DGA, the dream is over.

I still hoping he can somehow make it to Oscar because Oscar voters are way more internationally diverse than DGA. Given the better buzz and reception overseas, the international voters may favour Cameron after all.

11 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I still hoping he can somehow make it to Oscar because Oscar voters are way more internationally diverse than DGA. Given the better buzz and reception overseas, the international voters may favour Cameron after all.

I would be more hopeful had he not missed the BAFTA longlist entirely. UK is by far the biggest international contingent, I think.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

If Cameron doesn't get nominated for Best Director, what exactly is it going to be nominated for Best Picture for? The strength of its screenplay?

Maybe it will follow Dune last year and get in on the strength of the technical categories, but with him missing the DGA and the Bafta longlist it's now becoming a longshot.

31 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

Picture nom should still be safe in theory due to the field being so empty. If it misses PGA tomorrow though that would definitely be cause for concern on that front, though.

Yeah, I'd be shocked if it missed PGA. If it misses PGA, DGA, and the BAFTA longlist, I'm almost willing to discount it in Picture.

4 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

"Lucky for Cameron and Disney, which owns the rights after acquiring 20th Century Fox in 2019, the long-delayed sequel has generated $1.748 billion globally to stand as the seventh-highest grossing release in history. It looks to end its theatrical run with $1.825 billion to $2 billion, placing the tentpole firmly in the black."

Do I understand this right: She believes, after acknowledging it already did $1,75B, it could do as few as $75M more (and $250M at most)? 😶

Edited by Aristis

21 minutes ago, Aristis said:

"Lucky for Cameron and Disney, which owns the rights after acquiring 20th Century Fox in 2019, the long-delayed sequel has generated $1.748 billion globally to stand as the seventh-highest grossing release in history. It looks to end its theatrical run with $1.825 billion to $2 billion, placing the tentpole firmly in the black."

Do I understand this right: She believes, after acknowledging it already did $1,75B, it could do as few as $75M more (and $250M at most)? 😶

She didn't have any idea. Variety tweeted the other day that "box office experts" think $1.825B is the minimum so that's probably where she based it on. Who were these box office experts? 😂

10 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

She didn't have any idea. Variety tweeted the other day that "box office experts" think $1.825B is the minimum so that's probably where she based it on. Who were these box office experts? 😂

Hah Hah... Shes an undercover hater brother Kayom. But shes coming off as a clown now without even researching A2 BO, and just regurgitating some unbelievable nonsense lol.. 

This movie looks clearly on the way for 2.3B WW.. And with that extension in China and the domestic looking like 700M-800M range. (Perhaps quite alot more than that)'

We Got it Done Pandorians! :D

Lol this is the result of giving Speilberg and other films wrongful praise and snubbing

A2, TGM and a ton of other movies.. Man I havent even heard anyone even talk about his film and some of the others with the rewards..lol.  Comedian is hysterical but some seeds of truth. Also Eddie Murphy low key makes sure folks dont forget the crazy act of Will Smith lol

Edited by Sheldon Cr

10 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

Any news on when we will hit 2B WW brother Kayom.. Im so happy GG has the lowest ratings in its history or something like that.. Snubs for this film and others is showing clear biasness and man theres some huge work put in by filmmakers and their teams that should be acknowledged. Karma came to collect as GG and Oscars been doing some questionable actions for years now Kayom. 🙂

17 hours ago, John Marston said:

James Cameron DESTROYS Marvel humor

This reminded me of Miyazaki and his concept of "ma", adding quieter, peaceful scenes to give the action-packed film some breathing space which really adds to the immersion and makes you want to BE in that world. There's a sense of comfort and a dreamy vibe that comes from this and Titanic and the first Avatar both had this as well.

He really deserves all this success cause he actually studied everything and not from a money perspective but from a spiritual/emotional perspective

And also I, too, have grown tired of movies being too snarky and self-aware and self-referential

Even in animated movies like Frozen, the whole sarcastic "let's poke fun at previous Disney movies" jokes aged really badly and ironically dated the movie. 

• Like 2