Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Second one will be DAWN OF PANDORA.

Third one will be RISE OF PANDORA.

Last one is AGE OF PANDORA.

Just kidding, all I know is that the second one is gonna be called JUDGEMENT DAY.

You forgot Darkness of Pandora.

• Like 1

I believe the current plan is to release one a year, LOTR-style.

You think that would hurt the finale's gross? 

AV1 was in theaters for 8 months. Now a days, these huge grossers would be in theaters for 4 months, 5 months tops.

If AV3 is released a year after AV2, that gives us a 4 month break. I'd assume that people would get tired of Avatar, don't you think?

Your statment here Panda is so off the mark that I hope someone reposts it 40% when its the biggestseller on HV by far and without 3D.. The most talked about event movie sequel ever thats has at least2 more yrs to go.You got to be kidding. Definitly disagree with you there

Most talked about movie sequel ever? I think even Age of Ultron or Batman v Superman are talked about more than Avatar 2.

You think that would hurt the finale's gross? AV1 was in theaters for 8 months. Now a days, these huge grossers would be in theaters for 4 months, 5 months tops.If AV3 is released a year after AV2, that gives us a 4 month break. I'd assume that people would get tired of Avatar, don't you think?

You are assuming Avatar 2 will have the legs to be out 8 months.

You think that would hurt the finale's gross? AV1 was in theaters for 8 months. Now a days, these huge grossers would be in theaters for 4 months, 5 months tops.If AV3 is released a year after AV2, that gives us a 4 month break. I'd assume that people would get tired of Avatar, don't you think?

It didn't seem to hurt LOTR and those films probably will have longer legs than the A-series. (It's a very different world from even 2009.)

It didn't seem to hurt LOTR and those films probably will have longer legs than the A-series. (It's a very different world from even 2009.)

And I thought my sig was disturbing enough.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1

HP and LOTR existed before the movies, their respective fanbases were huge before any movie adaptation. Then Avatar which had none of those properties hype beforehand and no prior fanbase as such before release blew them out of the water at the first entry. So something stroke the right chord and people did connect to the story beyond the superficial level.

Posted Image

Cameron's tour de force right above. (Woman embraces her lover, Virtuality embraces Reality, Alien embraces Human, Madone embraces son, CG Pixel embraces Flesh,  Nature embraces Modernity...It works on so many levels, it's mind-boggling all the topics it can incarnate, it is what makes picture/shot memorable and stand out)

And for the SW comparison, people said the exact same thing about the story just being pretext and people just went multiple times for the showy effects and the flashbang new visuals. Nothing new.

What I think is that online people just think through their western-centric POV lens so they say "Nobody cares about Avatar anymore" inflating their opinion as the undisputable truth, in the cynical and jaded US maybe (I doubt it since it's mostly male online and geeks that complain about Avatar's so called non impact) but worldwide? Overseas there are plenty of emerging countries/markets that are ready to get on the Avatar train again, just China alone could bring massive chunks of doughs due to its constant developing market. So if Cameron's team engineers some kind of cutting edge presentation to match the UltraHD era and develops the adequate story to go along with it, how do you know it won't catch fire just like the first one did?

Bravo.

God, I am gonna enjoy seeing Avatar 2 break record after record and I am gonna love seeing the detractors come up with ridiculous excuses to justify the film's success. It will be awesome. Then the cycle will start all over again just in time for part 3: «Nobody liked A2, it was all pretty colors and bright lights, the characters were cardboard, people don't know the characters' names, audiences are sick of Cameron, blahblahblah...»

• Like 1

Second one will be DAWN OF PANDORA.

Third one will be RISE OF PANDORA.

Last one is AGE OF PANDORA.

Just kidding, all I know is that the second one is gonna be called JUDGEMENT DAY.

Or the second one could be Avatars.

---edited---

fuck some one already said that.

Edited by vc2002

Are they actually filming this? Seems like it never begins.

Also, Worthington has become an even shittier actor in the time being. If anyone hasn't seen Sabotage, you've done well.

Avatar didn't deserve to make $750m but the sequel is going to make a killing. OS could reach insane levels.

I still don't understand how it all happened. It's not a great movie. 3D is overrated and yet it made $750m...WHY? Weird.

Maybe Cameron has got subliminal messaging in his movies.

Rewatching it as we speak. Still as powerful as ever.

Home tree falling was a holy shit moment in theaters. I still got the chills during the momentum when everyone is staring at it hearing the massive branches crack and the roots rumble. That was really surprising, I didn't think that would actually happen when I attended the Avatar Day back then.(Despite a tiny hint in the trailer when there is a shot of Na'vis getting smashed by falling branches like the sky is falling on them). Perfect timing on the editing, you can sense the dread and the wound it opens wide. The tipping point of no return and time to pay back.

• Like 4

Home tree falling was a holy shit moment in theaters. I still got the chills during the momentum when everyone is staring at it hearing the massive branches crack and the roots rumble. That was really surprising, I didn't think that would actually happen when I attended the Avatar Day back then.(Despite a tiny hint in the trailer when there is a shot of Na'vis getting smashed by falling branches like the sky is falling on them). Perfect timing on the editing, you can sense the dread and the wound it opens wide. The tipping point of no return and time to pay back.

That was exactly the scene I was watching as I posted the message that you quoted from me. Watched the extended cut. This is exactly why the movie became such a hit. It resonated emotionally with so many people, and it connected with the audience on so many levels. That scene is sooo powerful.

I know this woman in her late forties who became a human rights activist and a social worker at her age (went back to school and everything, no kidding), just because the film's real world analogies of oppressed minorities and cultural imperialism inspired her to take action and try to make the world a better place. So she enrolled in school, got an MSW, and she just recently got her license to be a clinical social worker (with an emphasis on social policy).  I've always believed that movies, as trivial as they seem, can be powerful instruments of change.

Anyway, was I the only one who cried when Trudy Chacón´s helicopter went down? 

And man, that scene when the entire planet fights back and responds to Quarritch's forces' attack, and Neytiri goes "Jake...Eywa has heard you...EYWA HAS HEARD YOU!!" totally made me scream at the screen, in joy of course!

But nah, nobody connected to the plot or the events in the film. Nobody.

It was all pretty colors. ;)

• Like 1

How can the budget be $450m for 3 movies when Avatar costs like $250-300m 5 years ago? Bullshiiiiit.

The preproduction of Avatar was very expensive. They needed to develop a lot of new technology to make it possible. The investment in a lot of these areas are not required this time.

That was exactly the scene I was watching as I posted the message that you quoted from me. Watched the extended cut. This is exactly why the movie became such a hit. It resonated emotionally with so many people, and it connected with the audience on so many levels. That scene is sooo powerful.

I know this woman in her late forties who became a human rights activist and a social worker at her age (went back to school and everything, no kidding), just because the film's real world analogies of oppressed minorities and cultural imperialism inspired her to take action and try to make the world a better place. So she enrolled in school, got an MSW, and she just recently got her license to be a clinical social worker (with an emphasis on social policy).  I've always believed that movies, as trivial as they seem, can be powerful instruments of change.

Anyway, was I the only one who cried when Trudy Chacón´s helicopter went down? 

And man, that scene when the entire planet fights back and responds to Quarritch's forces' attack, and Neytiri goes "Jake...Eywa has heard you...EYWA HAS HEARD YOU!!" totally made me scream at the screen, in joy of course!

But nah, nobody connected to the plot or the events in the film. Nobody.

It was all pretty colors. ;)

Anecdotal evidence, anecdotal evidence... ;)

Home tree falling works on a deep conscious level universally speaking. It's not hard for any countries worldwide with an history of oppression, war and colonization to project its own consciousness when they witness something like this that they experienced at one point in their own history. It triggers the same emotional response as it is an allegory embodying a civilization being torn and literally falling apart. It works as a symbolic mirror of our own historical traumas.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1