Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Did you ever see the making of The Abyss Futurist?, what Cameron put himself through on that film is unbelievable.

It paid of though, what an amazing film that was.

I ve seen all Cameron making ofs and they all tell the same story, it s the story of a guy who becomes an obssesed maniac on set who is ready to do anything to make his movies better.

But the guy is so hard on himself that he thinks everybody should suffer the same and of course, not everybody agrees with that.

Poor Elisabeth Mastrantonio, what cameron did to her, that was harsh ...

Ed Harris almost died on the set of Abyss because of lack of oxygen in a diving scene.

Cameron punched a Fox executive who fell into the water tank where there were shooting the films.

The Aliens making of is also fascinating especially the interviews with the VFX guys where they admit that well, 90% of the time, when they didn t find a solution to do a shot, Cameron found that solution and you could see in their eyes how much they admired the guy like " he was right again, that was the solution to do the shot" ...

The way he conceived the Aliens queen with Stan Winston and how to photograph it to make it look real is incredible, before the CG age ...

A last quote : " you can t help but feeling a little stupid when you re in the same room talking with James Cameron"

Peter Jackson.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

Hopefully Cameron spends more time on the screenplay.

I read about Avatars screenplay first in 1999.

It's not just time that matters.

He's got the IP that will sell itself...so it's more like...let's hope he feels comfortable going outside the box. He's got 4 more movies in mind...so...I'm pretty optimistic here. He's clearly got story to tell, and the people will watch this regardless factor on his side.

Edited by kowhite

I guess this is a good time to bump this? Is TA2's somewhat disappointing OW and the inevitably disappointing DOM total going to cool down some people's sky-high expectations on Avatar 2?

It depends for me. If he gets 4k, 120fps visuals and really puts you in the middle of that world again, i could see this being HUGE.

Worldwide this could gross almost anything.

• Like 1

I guess this is a good time to bump this? Is TA2's somewhat disappointing OW and the inevitably disappointing DOM total going to cool down some people's sky-high expectations on Avatar 2?

Maybe DOM goes down but OW will go up.

Not in the slightest.

• Like 1

It depends for me. If he gets 4k, 120fps visuals and really puts you in the middle of that world again, i could see this being HUGE.

Worldwide this could gross almost anything.

If Cameron can top that immersive factor and succeed where PJ has totally failed,(Advent the Age of HFR) sky is the limit. China alone could gross 500M+ considering how they're eating up US vfx galores these days.

JC knows that he's awaited at the corner to fail (as always with his vociferous detractors) and that Avatar IP is his only chance to craft a long winded scifi saga for the ages like Dune and SW leaving his personal stamp for many years to come. He's too smart to screw that up badly and not pushing the ante to dazzle audience again. He's not known to rest on his laurels.

Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 2

If Cameron can top that immersive factor and succeed where PJ has totally failed,(Advent the Age of HFR) sky is the limit. China alone could gross 500M+ considering how they're eating up US vfx galores these days.

JC knows that he's awaited at the corner to fail (as always with his vociferous detractors) and that Avatar IP is his only chance to craft a long winded scifi saga for the ages like Dune and SW leaving his personal stamp for many years to come. He's too smart to screw that up badly and not pushing the ante to dazzle audience again. He's not known to rest on his laurels.

You have to feel for Cameron lol, he's had the 'biggest film of all time' with his last 2 films. If AVATAR 2 grosses less than the first, everyone will be on his back and act like he's failed. I feel the worldwide numbers will save him though, over 3billion i bet.

125MX6=750M

135MX5.5556=750M

105MX7.14=750M

All three reasonable OW's and multi's that withing range. So if there is no fight, bad reviews, Derby/Playoffs, etc not really a factor as it will have the holidays.

• Like 1

125MX6=750M

135MX5.5556=750M

105MX7.14=750M

All three reasonable OW's and multi's that withing range. So if there is no fight, bad reviews, Derby/Playoffs, etc not really a factor as it will have the holidays.

I have said similar before Neo.

I did 150mil opening weekend, 5x legs for 750mil total. The first film had 10x legs and i can't see the sequel reducing more than 5x for its legs as long as its a good movie.

150mil OW in this day and age should be more than doable for this, even though its not really a 'fanboy' style movie.

The point is, it definitely has a chance of matching the first film, worldwide its a given imo.

• Like 1

I have said similar before Neo.

I did 150mil opening weekend, 5x legs for 750mil total. The first film had 10x legs and i can't see the sequel reducing more than 5x for its legs as long as its a good movie.

150mil OW in this day and age should be more than doable for this, even though its not really a 'fanboy' style movie.

The point is, it definitely has a chance of matching the first film, worldwide its a given imo.

My predict is 133/790M a 5.9X. Nearly half off from Avatar. Called a 5X around the time Avatar was released.

I'll definitely take that prediction Neo. What do you think for overseas/worldwide?, China is going to be ridiculous.

China 500M+ and if we get the most prolific Chinese actor of that time in the movie maybe 650M+ With my DOM am thinking 3.2B+ I just can't see this going down. If it was like AOU and TA maxed out OW then yes, but 75M definitely has room to grow and no way under 5X.

• Like 1

The thing is some people wanted Cameron to fail both for Titanic and Avatar and I never quite understood why.

I guess his reputation inside Hollywood was really terrible and he was/is probably an arrogant ass.

I know some of the stories ...

Also, Cameron is a bit crazy with Avatar.

Are you aware that, as we speak, he made a deal with Disney and they are currently building, don t know where, an Avatarland/Pandoraland with all the latest technologies for an enormous budget.

Also, Cameron signed deals in China,and I think he has now big financial backers over there so the movies will have a very special treatment when they are released over there.

500m China is almost guaranteed at this point.

I'm surprised at some people's insistence that Avatar 2 will reach the heights of the original. Blind faith, i guess. They will learn the hard way. I have been saying for ages that it'll drop, long before AOU. Sequels to phenomenons always drop and Avatar was a phenomenon everywhere, unlike Avengers. China might soften the drop but it'll drop. There's no way they can catch that lightning in a bottle again, no matter how good the sequels are, the novelty is gone. Before anyone mentions Cameron's feat of making the biggest movie ever twice, that's different. Titanic 2 would have dropped as well. 

I'm surprised at some people's insistence that Avatar 2 will reach the heights of the original. Blind faith, i guess. They will learn the hard way. I have been saying for ages that it'll drop, long before AOU. Sequels to phenomenons always drop and Avatar was a phenomenon everywhere, unlike Avengers. China might soften the drop but it'll drop. There's no way they can catch that lightning in a bottle again, no matter how good the sequels are, the novelty is gone. Before anyone mentions Cameron's feat of making the biggest movie ever twice, that's different. Titanic 2 would have dropped as well. 

Is anyone seriously saying it will match the first film?