Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

17 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

I dont think that Alita will be any indication of A2s potential. Cameron is only a producer for it as far as the public knows, they couldn't care less about that, plenty of popular directors have been producers on total bombs, on both TV and the big screen.

'Producer' also dont mean they have any influence or effect. For example JJ Abrams is a producer on Westworld, but obviously he had little effect on it because its actually well planned, intelligent and good.

Westword was classic JJ mystery box that went downhill trying to explain its mysteries. Also putting “Lightstorm” in front of the trailer is something JC wouldn’t do without extreme confidence (he didn’t have it animate though, interesting).

I agree Alita won’t touch Avatar 2 but the trailer gave me goosebumps (and some Youtubers I follow), I don’t think it’s a Terminator: Genesys situation. I could see JC taking some time off to edit Alita later this year.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Westword was classic JJ mystery box that went downhill trying to explain its mysteries. Also putting “Lightstorm” in front of the trailer is something JC wouldn’t do without extreme confidence (he didn’t have it animate though, interesting).

I agree Alita won’t touch Avatar 2 but the trailer gave me goosebumps (and some Youtubers I follow), I don’t think it’s a Terminator: Genesys situation. I could see JC taking some time off to edit Alita later this year.

Not the place for it, but you are totally wrong about Westworld.

Alita will flop, hard, but it wont sour JCs reputation in the least.

5 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Not the place for it, but you are totally wrong about Westworld.

Alita will flop, hard, but it wont sour JCs reputation in the least.

I use downhill in the broad term, mostly referring to ratings (which are down). If the quality has gone up, I wouldn't know, because I'm not watching until the verdict is out on Season 2.

You are right that Avatar 2's success is not riding at all on Alita, there will be lines around the block for Avatar 2 no matter what. But I sincerely doubt Alita will be a repeat of GotS. The first trailer put its hooks in pretty deep into some people and had me salivating for more. GotS had no such hook, it looked like a mess just like the movie was.

4 hours ago, Ranger Tree said:

Fucking incredible. James Cameron is a genius. I knew I liked avatar but this was really special. I am completely sold on the JC hype train.

Goddamn I'm jealous. Seriously Avatar has at least 10-15 knot-in-your-throat moments in addition to being perfectly paced. I have to be careful watching scenes because I end up watching until the end almost every time. I always thought Avatar was great from the first time I saw it, but until a year ago I didn't realize just how good it was until I finally rewatched it at home. Every viewing I notice something new. The transition from Act 2 to Act 3 in particular is genius, not a second wasted. The "this is our land" speech having a natural echo due to where he's talking and not just being some sound effect. There's so many little details and brilliant foreshadowing.

I prefer the theatrical cut, I see the 'extended cut' as a way to sell more Blu-Rays, it has some great scenes, but it's definitely inferior to the theatrical cut as a movie. There's a reason it's not called the "director's cut" like The Abyss.

Edited by Pure Spirit
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

57 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Eh, I guess by the time it's released, Avatar will have a nostalgia factor towards it.

We're already there, except for some holdouts. Reddit has done a full about-face, now pretty much anything Avatar-related is talked about in glowing terms, and even the slightest whiff of news about Avatar 2 gets thousands of comments and upvotes, 3 years out. 

Compare new comment threads in this:

to old ones like this when Avatar-contrarianism was at its peak:

wrxcq2K.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

9 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

We're already there, except for some holdouts. Reddit has done a full about-face, now pretty much anything Avatar-related is talked about in glowing terms, and even the slightest whiff of news about Avatar 2 gets thousands of comments and upvotes, 3 years out. 

wrxcq2K.jpg

That's a good read actually, I especially like these two comments, gave me a good laugh:

[–]FTP_User1_342 148 points  

Did they hire child actors and train them with the forethought of having young adults in the actual movie?

[–]hio__State 710 points  

Given that it's James Cameron it's possible that they weren't hired but were in fact specifically bred for the movie.

The idea that the kids in this movie were specifically bred by Cameron so they'd be perfect for their roles. 

THAT'S WHY IT'S TAKEN 10 YEARS!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, GirafficPark said:

I dont think that Alita will be any indication of A2s potential. Cameron is only a producer for it as far as the public knows, they couldn't care less about that, plenty of popular directors have been producers on total bombs, on both TV and the big screen.

'Producer' also dont mean they have any influence or effect. For example JJ Abrams is a producer on Westworld, but obviously he had little effect on it because its actually well planned, intelligent and good.

Agreed but Alita will do fine,

1 hour ago, Pure Spirit said:

reddit's gone full circle it seems.

Look at the Incredibles 2, a great sequel to a great original from over 10 years ago. It's doing gangbusters yet it has had much less "cultural impact" than Avatar. These no one remember Avatar arguments against A2 are looking a little shaky right now, best of luck to those betting against A2 you'll need it.

• Like 2

On 6/18/2018 at 3:58 AM, JamesCameronScholar said:

Incredibles 2 will be a good measure of how a sequel can do... then add the Jim factor... 5 BILL :hahaha:

A lot more work is going into the Avatar sequels vs The Incredibles II - way more....Incredibles II is a solid movie however it doesn't measure up to the original, a tall order for sure. Still it's a solid 4/5 imo. 

• Like 2

On 6/17/2018 at 4:46 PM, Pure Spirit said:

wrxcq2K.jpg

It must feel weird to know that your work is done yet it won't be seen on the big screen for another 30 months, also you can't even talk about it until you get the all clear, that must be tough keeping details a secret around people. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

It must feel weird to know that your work is done yet it won't be seen on the big screen for another 30 months, also you can't even talk about it until you get the all clear, that must be tough keeping details a secret around people. 

Really one of the most difficult parts for me, I'd want to discuss it at length. 

36 minutes ago, The Incredible Panda said:

Today, I was talking to a friend and they said “You know that Avatar movie, I hope they make another one”

Maybe you guys are onto something with these 5b predicts

ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

7 hours ago, The Incredible Panda said:

Today, I was talking to a friend and they said “You know that Avatar movie, I hope they make another one”

Maybe you guys are onto something with these 5b predicts

Avatar hype is dormant inside the general audience ready to be unleashed when the time is right.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

On 6/14/2018 at 10:25 PM, Pure Spirit said:

Avatar Sequels Are Exceeding James Cameron's Expectations

James-Cameron-Avatar.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w

Avatar 2 writer-director James Cameron says in a CineEurope presentation that the early results of his Avatar sequels are "beyond even our expectations." First up, of course, is Avatar 2, one of four planned sequels to the 2009 blockbuster Avatar. The first movie went on to become the all-time highest grossing film release worldwide with $2.78 billion in ticket sales. Plus, it earned nine Oscar nominations - including Best Picture and Best Director - and won statuettes for Best Cinematography, Best Art Direction and Best Visual Effects.

While it took Cameron nearly nine years after the release of the original Avatar to finally begin production on the sequels in September, admittedly he's had justification for the long break in filming. He has been developing technology to raise the visual effects bar above the already towering standards set by the first film. Further, Cameron has not only expanded the cast to include the children of Jake Sully (Sam Worthington) and Neytiri (Zoe Saldana), he's going beyond the breathtaking vistas of Pandora from the first film by expanding the action to the seas of the distant planet.

According to Deadline, Cameron's production partner, Jon Landau, appeared at the CineEurope trade show in Barcelona, Spain, to introduce a video feed of Cameron on the set of the Avatar sequels, where the director said he's 130 days into performance capture production. Deadline reports the Oscar-winning filmmaker did his presentation in front of a giant water tank, where he noted that water "plays a huge part" of the sequels and that the films will take audiences to "never before seen parts of Pandora." Also boasting that new cast member Kate Winslet can hold her breath underwater for seven minutes, Cameron noted that the early results produced by filming "are beyond even our expectations."

Water-Scenes-in-Avatar.jpg?q=50&fit=crop

While it's true that Cameron is a master promoter of his films and one could cast his comments off to the sort of hype any director would have in touting their work during production, there's no question that when the Avatar auteur makes promises, he puts his money where his mouth is. The filmmaker raised the bar for high-seas adventure films when 1997's Titanic went on to earn $2.1 billion at the global box office and win 11 Oscars, including Best Picture and Best Director. Then, he did the seemingly impossible by topping the then-all-time domestic and global box office records set by Titanic with Avatar a dozen years later.

Fans, naturally, will be the final judge of whether Avatar 2 lives up to the high expectations Cameron is setting when the film comes out in 2020. Avatar 3 is then set for a 2021, release, while the fourth and fifth chapters are dated to come out in 2024 and 2025, respectively.

https://screenrant.com/avatar-sequels-james-cameron-praise/

:ohmygod:

More garbage reporting by Screenrant! Titanic grossed 1.8B in its original run, not 2.1 that was only in 2012 after Avatar.

And Pandora is a moon not a planet.

NEXT..

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

More garbage reporting by Screenrant! Titanic grossed 1.8B in its original run, not 2.1 that was only in 2012 after Avatar.

And Pandora is a moon not a planet.

NEXT..

It's best to use them just to click the links until you get to the source.

Just give us the Jim quotes to be honest.

• Like 1