Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Yes, Cameron Conspiracies beat the wildest conspiracy theories. I mena, holy shit people believe he`s waiting for inflation to fudge boxoffice numbers of his new movies. The man owns an asteroid belt. he can always count tickets from collonists just like Paramount counted Puerto Rico. No need to wait for inflation to do the trick.

That Puerto Rico thing never gets old, I swear. I laughed out loud at this post...! :)

People are still debating Avatar's originality? Seriously? People, let it go. Saying that it's a 'rehash' won't strip the film of its accomplishments, and it won't make the sequel flop. I bet that everyone who keeps bashing the film will be the first in line when Avatar 2 opens.

Isn't this the truth. Yup. We can hate on Avatar all we want but that doesn't strip it of nearly making $3B WW. No film remotely comes close.

I challenge anyone to name a story, they think original (or at least more original than AVATAR). It is for me (or others that want to help me) to name a source that has inspired this story. Edited by Rudolf

No, Avatar is a vulgar copy of FernGully: The Last Rainforest.

Except that Avatar obviously did something right since it was such a success while many people have never heard of FernGully. It`s still more compared to dances with Wolves and Pochahontas than FernThingy.
  • Like 1

Nothing is truly "original." The difference is how you execute your ideas.The fact is Avatar made BILLIONS OF DOLLARS!!!! End of story.I love gymnastics, and i see a lot of people who try to do the same moves/stunts. The difference between the Gold medalist standing on the podium with the world gazing at him/her and others? He/She did better than anyone else. That can be said of most films (anything in life too) including other blockbuster sagas.Stop hating, just appreciate. This is coming from someone who doesn't think Avatar or James Cameron are the best thing EVER.James Cameron is the king of Hollywood though lol

Avatar is an original film that has borrowed ideas from other movies (or games for that matter... Halo). It's still much closer to originality than 93.7% of big budget blockbusters so what's the big deal??

Edited by Jessie

No, Avatar is a vulgar copy of FernGully: The Last Rainforest.

Avatar follows exactly the monomyth concept. And this concept exists, since mankind exists. Similar stories were told over and over again since decades, in nearly every culture around the world, mesopotamia, greece, roman, egyptian, mayan etc.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MonomythAvatar and the monomyth:http://martinspribble.com/archives/247 <--- recommendhttp://adairjones.wo...ero’s-journey’/http://meowywowy.wor.../2010/06/19/20/http://www.naviblue....Camerons-Avatar Edited by dignam
  • Like 1

The concept of a soldier going to a foreign land, falling in love with a princess, and going native is one of the oldest story ideas around: look at the popular myth surrounding John Smith & Pocahontas, or Anthony & Cleopatra, for example. Cameron's already said he was influenced and inspired by pulp stories (Edgar Rice Burroughs, etc) and 17th/18th/19th century imperialism. There's a lot more out there than just movies from the last 15 years.

• Like 3

Avatar is more a rip-off of Dune than Dances or Ferngully. Seriously, watch Dune and Avatar back to back. They're the same damn story, right down to the chosen one proving his worth by taming a giant fearsome alien beast.

Avatar is very similar to Dune but you completely missed the point of Dune. Dune is a story about the chosen one who becomes a tyrant. And he knows that`s what`s gonna happen but cannot prevent it because everyone around him sees him as a harbinger of hope. It is not a classic hero cyccle and the genius of the book is exactly in that dark turn that his rise tosses the galaxy into religious fanaticism-induces chaos. He becomes even worse than those he fought against.No to mention that the way how Eywa chose Jake and how the Fremen chose Paul (thanks to Bene geserit Missionaria Protectiva that created the "prophecy" in order to keep their control over them) are very different.OTOH, Avatar is Cameron`s statement on War on Terror and subversion of White Messiah trope. Cameron always subverts tropes in his movies if you care to pay attention. It`s been like that since Terminator. Definitely one of the most interesting film-makers around. Edited by fishnets
  • Like 1

Except that Avatar obviously did something right since it was such a success while many people have never heard of FernGully. It`s still more compared to dances with Wolves and Pochahontas than FernThingy.

Ttechnically, yes, they did right by the common super-marketing campaing about the visuals and the 3D and blah.In story, from the point of view of making $$$, they did right, because a lot of people in this world is accustomed to this type of plots, and generally, they do not demand better stories.But, from the point of view of originality, is a dead thing.

Nothing is truly "original." The difference is how you execute your ideas.

In fact people can be original in stories. Only look at the world of the expanded animation.

The fact is Avatar made BILLIONS OF DOLLARS!!!! End of story.

Nobody is denying that.

I love gymnastics, and i see a lot of people who try to do the same moves/stunts. The difference between the Gold medalist standing on the podium with the world gazing at him/her and others? He/She did better than anyone else. That can be said of most films (anything in life too) including other blockbuster sagas.

Except that in the films' universe you do not necessarily have to tell the same paradigm of the stories, that have a lot of films in the American blockbuster realm.

Stop hating, just appreciate. This is coming from someone who doesn't think Avatar or James Cameron are the best thing EVER.

Obviously. They are far from that.

James Cameron is the king of Hollywood though lol

In dollar grosses only, of course.

What is "original" for you then?

(Tell me which movie before has "a paraplegic marine that become a giant blue alien to defeat his own race on an alien planet in huge scope" and then I'll acknowledge Avatar is 100% not original. Soldier going native is a trope so using this trope is not a rip-off, it's cliche. What's the most important is how you deal with cliche, embrace it or subvert it to make it exciting).

Edited by dashrendar44

The concept of a soldier going to a foreign land, falling in love with a princess, and going native is one of the oldest story ideas around: look at the popular myth surrounding John Smith & Pocahontas, or Anthony & Cleopatra, for example. Cameron's already said he was influenced and inspired by pulp stories (Edgar Rice Burroughs, etc) and 17th/18th/19th century imperialism. There's a lot more out there than just movies from the last 15 years.

Cameron has read everything that contains adventure and fantasy and science fiction, he was a total nerd kid who spent his time between reading,learning and going into the forrest to confront the wonders of Mother Nature. Edited by The Futurist

(Tell me which movie before has "a paraplegic marine that become a giant blue alien to defeat his own race on an alien planet in huge scope"

It is about they are using the same old and rancid formula that has worked, in terms of money, in the blockbuster realm. I think the best and more interesting films/short films are in the world of animation.