Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

33 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

How many times has this been delayed? What were the previous release dates supposed to be?

Titanic and Avatar were delayed for years and you see what transpired clone wars. Delays are good thing when it comes to Jcs resume. I do agree its hard to keep waiting for the ride back to Pandora. Still the wait will be worth it bigtime. Hang on A2 is almost here. 

4 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

q7k0p0s.jpg

Actually I'm fine with this, more inflation and market growth for Avatar 2

Here is what I think:

Seeing that Endgame is about to crush Avatar record and Avatar having zero cultural impact, Disney decided to reserve whatever 3D trick Jimmy had for Avatar sequels for MCU so that MCU will be the first film to use those tricks. It help build up MCU hype even more.Thus, there is the delay.

After all, Disney is not stupid. They know that the franchise value of MCU heroes is much more worthy than that of those blue people. And, the only talking about those blue people movies is the 3D tricks. If Avatar sequels were not the first ones to use... Avatar 2 might not even break 1 billion.

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

12 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I think most people who legit think Avatar 2 is going to fail (idk what would be a barometer for failure but I'd be shocked with under $2 Billion) either don't realise or don't care how much it's going to benefit from the expansion of OS markets particularly in Asia.

This is very true. Not to mention the fact that China will have expanded more by the time of its release.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

Here is what I think:

Seeing that Endgame is about to crush Avatar record and Avatar having zero cultural impact, Disney decided to reserve whatever 3D trick Jimmy had for Avatar sequels for MCU so that MCU will be the first film to use those tricks. It help build up MCU hype even more.Thus, there is the delay.

After all, Disney is not stupid. They know that the franchise value of MCU heroes is much more worthy than that of those blue people. And, the only talking about those blue people movies is the 3D tricks. If Avatar sequels were not the first ones to use... Avatar 2 might not even break 1 billion.

Hard disagree. If anything, Disney's upcoming slate shows their commitment to the Avatar franchise despite its limited long-term impact.

14 minutes ago, stealthyfrog said:

Hard disagree. If anything, Disney's upcoming slate shows their commitment to the Avatar franchise despite its limited long-term impact.

I think that this is true in the sense that, originally, they sort of had a wait and see approach toward Avatar 4 and 5, even Cameron said if 2 and 3 don't make money, there wouldn't be a 4 and 5. Initially, Avatar 3 and Avatar 4 were spaced by 3 years and that adds a question mark, I guess, to Avatar 4.

Now, they are all evenly spaced by 2 years, it actually suggest that Disney is convinced and is fully committed into developing Avatar franchise. 

This probably means big rewrites and reshoots? Weren't all four films in production simultaneously?

I think DisneyFox may be overestimating how beloved and iconic the 2009 film is. Telling people there are going to be four films over an 8 year period from the get-go seems too much. I'm already exhausted and we haven't seen a second of footage.

Edited by Hunch
  • Disbelief 1

8 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

It’s alright. Should do about 0.6EG. That’s good money 

Not sure how that's even possible.

besides Avatar is going to be the 1st $3b grosser and Avatar 2 is going to beat it

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Not sure how that's even possible.

besides Avatar is going to be the 1st $3b grosser and Avatar 2 is going to beat it

Nah. Should do about 0.6x of the box office champ EG. If it’s ok then maybe about 0.5EG. Jim being in second and third place when it’s all said and done is a great achievement. 

Edited by HouseOfTheSun

5 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Nah. Should do about 0.6x of the box office champ EG. If it’s ok then maybe about 0.5EG. Jim being in second and third place when it’s all said and done is a great achievement. 

Endgame isn't even 1st place yet by the way, it could still make 0.99A which would be hilarious.

That said, it's Avatar's 10 year anniversary this year, a little re-release would get a quick $3b total easily.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, IronJimbo said:

Endgame isn't even 1st place yet by the way, it could still make 0.99A which would be hilarious.

That said, it's Avatar's 10 year anniversary this year, a little re-release would get a quick $3b total easily.

0.6EG is phenomenal achievement after a 12 year hiatus. Good measure against the champ. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1