Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

It could just be a simple reason of the films will not be ready for 2020,. It could be that Cameron has come accross some new tech that he feels could benefit the films. Could be just that Disney want the stability of having a AVATAR and SW film every year for 6+ years.

Wouldn't that be great ?

It'll take a few days for me, but optimism will prevail in the end! :)

I am bummed about the release date change, because JC is responsible for two of my favorite movies (Aliens & Terminator 1) and I wanted to see more from him...

that being said, the timing of the announcement was just perfect, coming on the heels of one poster willing to bet money that this would come out in 2020.

• Like 2

Hey kids gather round, let me tell you a story. Everyone said the same damn things about Titanic and Avatar when they got delayed. We all waited for AGES for those to come out. Would releasing Titanic a year sooner have helped it? Hell no. Avatar was being edited and post-produced all the way to the deadline.

This movie is getting delayed because Cameron is an artist and he accepts nothing less than perfection and he has the authority to make these calls now. This is why his fans love him, even if we hate him for it too! He reminds me of Blizzard gaming in a way, World of Warcraft was delayed for ages, so was Overwatch. But the overwhelming success of the final products can't be argued with.

This delay only makes me more confident Avatar 2 is going to SMASH records. Not because it's a sequel to Avatar, but because it's going to be such a mind-blowing movie everyone is gonna wanna see it. We might be looking at a Titanic level success. Cameron had the perfect release date and he gave it up so he could make the movie that much better. Fine. That's wayyyy more important to the total WW box office than when it gets released, and besides, everything else is gonna move out of Avatar 2's way. Avatar 2 is delayed, and that's a good thing.

Now excuse me while I go find some rope and hang myself.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Interesting that Avatar 2 got pushed back a year, but Avatar 3 got pushed back two years.  Then Avatar 4 pushed back a year, and Avatar 5 two years.

This seems consistent with the notion that it's just taking longer to make the movies than expected; the two year delays would account for the 1 year delay of the prior movie, plus another year of additional work on the current movie.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, andrewgr said:

Interesting that Avatar 2 got pushed back a year, but Avatar 3 got pushed back two years.  Then Avatar 4 pushed back a year, and Avatar 5 two years.

This seems consistent with the notion that it's just taking longer to make the movies than expected; the two year delays would account for the 1 year delay of the prior movie, plus another year of additional work on the current movie.

The other sequels getting pushed back seems to have at least partially been done to accommodate Star Wars. 

The one two punch of Dune and then Avatar 2 made me go gaga over fall/winter 2020.

Why oh why...

:whosad:

Hopefully i'll live to see the release of the next Jim Cameron event. You never know!

:kitschjob:

• Like 1

To everyone who who is saying "I'll be 38 years old" or "I'll be 47 years old", I hope so! Life is fragile and Cameron you goddamn perfectionist, this is why I love you but in the moment I also hate you.

Oh well, this is like the 7th delay I've had to deal with. :hahaha:

Edited by Pure Spirit
  • Like 3

Someone really needs to tell Disney that 2027 is the 50th Anniversary of SW. It worked well for Bond. 

Anyway, I don't think this was Disney. Chances are Cameron couldn't have the film ready in time for 2020, or he worried he couldn't have the other sequels ready for the schedule Disney wanted. I had already predicted that after Disney bought Fox that they would alternate between Avatar and SW. Anyway, if Disney could, they would 100% have this out in 2020 and not 2021. So, yah, this is all Cameron here because it takes him a billion years to make a movie.